Anybody from Indianapolis on here?

OptimusPrime

Im not looking for package handling i'm more interested in just about any driving position. Optimus do you know the hours for some of the driving positions? start times? Oh yeah i just about forgot Colts will beat the Packers in the Super Bowl this year......

I really have no idea about the off the street hires. Maybe on our website or something? The old timers can set me straight if I am wrong, but I bet there is a lot of the "old boys network" going on in the off the street hires. Family, friends, etc.

Basically apply, it wont hurt, but I wouldn't sit by the phone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I really have no idea about the off the street hires. Maybe on our website or something? The old timers can set me straight if I am wrong, but I bet there is a lot of the "old boys network" going on in the off the street hires. Family, friends, etc.

Basically apply, it wont hurt, but I wouldn't sit by the phone.

It is no secret that a recommendation from a current employee can go a long way to being hired. I have been able to get two of my helpers hired on after Peak. I was hired partly due to the recommendation of a driver who I had been stationed with at the local AFB and who was the best man at my wedding. The DM at the time was a vet and told me that my military service helped me to get hired.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I drove to Detroit once and went the American side. Wow. Just, WOW. Obviously, I had to go through Ohio. Wow. I went the Canadian side back.

Wow.

brett636

Im not looking for package handling i'm more interested in just about any driving position. Optimus do you know the hours for some of the driving positions? start times? Oh yeah i just about forgot Colts will beat the Packers in the Super Bowl this year......

As far as locals go the 81st building is under the jurisdiction of local 135(even though our pension is through local 710). I don't know what steps would be necessary for you to transfer locals in order to work here, but calling the local 135 hall on shelby street would be a good start. Anywho, as far as driving positions go, the only department I know of that you have any chance of getting into off the street is the feeder department. They just hired some 15 feeder drivers off the street, and the rumor that has been going around is by early fall they plan on bringing in another 20 or so drivers. The feeder department is driving the semis so you would need your CDL along with atleast a few years of driving experience under your belt before they would even think about hiring you. Also it helps to become a seasonal driver(seasonal periods are may 1 through labor day, and November and December) and keep your nose clean in order for them to consider you for a permanent hire as that is where all of our "off the street" hires came from. As far as delivery goes they have brought on a few new drivers to replace those who went into feeders or retired, but I don't know of many off the street hires or seasonal drivers brought on permanent. Again your best bet there is to try to become a summer and or peak seasonal help driver and keep coming back till they quit asking you or bring you on permanently. Just keep in mind the inside versus outside hire ratio is 1:6 so when it comes to delivery they will probably stick to this ratio.

Anyway, I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any more questions that you may have.

thanks brett636 that helps. I will be looking for feeder positions in the future. My cousin delivers packages out of the castleton hub, sfter i get an interview should i have him call somebody at 81st hub or before the interview? I have 2 years of senority at local 135 when i worked for Coca-Cola and 4 years in at Local 716 with my present job with IMI. Thanks

brett636

thanks brett636 that helps. I will be looking for feeder positions in the future. My cousin delivers packages out of the castleton hub, sfter i get an interview should i have him call somebody at 81st hub or before the interview? I have 2 years of senority at local 135 when i worked for Coca-Cola and 4 years in at Local 716 with my present job with IMI. Thanks

I really don't know if your prior seniority with local 135 will mean anything if you get hired on fulltime. The only thing that I know is true is that if you took out a withdrawal card with local 135 it may get you out of having to pay the initiation fee which all new seasonals have to pay unless they held a job at another 135 company. As far as your friend calling in as a referral I don't know why that wouldn't be a bad idea, and you could list him on your resume too when you turn that in. As long as the person doing the hiring has a positive opinion of your friend it could be the little push you need to get hired as seasonal, but I doubt it would have much bearing on you becoming permanent. That will be up to you and how you handle the ever changing long hours you will be expected to put in. I would not recommend ignoring a phone call and trust me they do come at the most inopportune times. Just do work as directed and do your best, and with some luck you could become permanent. Good luck!

So should i be looking at feeder positions only? Applied to package delivery post on 5/31 and i hadn't heard anything back. I think if anything is still at 135 it better be my pension, not much but something.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
So should i be looking at feeder positions only? Applied to package delivery post on 5/31 and i hadn't heard anything back. I think if anything is still at 135 it better be my pension, not much but something.
By all means, go for feeder and package delivery. Whatever you can get. As long as you understand that if the job description says seasonal, they mean seasonal; no matter what anyone in HR or supervisor tells you (I believe the infamous line is: 'If you do a good job we'll keep you on').

With only 2 years at Coke under a L135 contract, I seriously doubt you were vested in any pension plan.

brett636

Hondo is probably right that you probably didn't have enough years to be vested in the pension either way, but our pension situation here is a bit different as well. This was before my time, but in the past here in Indy we used to be a part of local 710 from Chicago. At some point the decision was made to put us under local 135, but in doing that they chose to keep us in the local 710 pension fund, so while our local is 135 we are not covered by their pension. Considering local 135 is under the central states plan I believe it was best that we stayed in the 710 pension fund given Central States fiscal problems. Although this is not here nor there as I doubt it will have any impact on your situation here should you get lucky enough to go permanent.

Finally, apply for both positions and see where it takes you. The worst that can happen is you get a chance to take either position on a seasonal basis, and that decision is based on what your looking for.

brett636

I think the pay is somewhere in the $16/hr. range. As far as the dates I mentioned them earlier. There are two seasonal periods per year. The summer season which is may 1 through labor day and our peak seasonal period which is November and December.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I'll ask you a question instead. Can you score me Super Bowl tickets? I wan't to watch The Pack repeat.
Please let someone else win the Super Bowl this year! I bet I had about 800 extra delivery stops in the month after Green Bay won it all. Some days the whole truck seemed to be loaded with parcels from NFL.com and the Packer Pro Shop!