Anybody from Indianapolis on here?

2Slow

Delivery or Feeders?
It makes all the difference in the world.
There are 2 similarities.
1) The same uniforms
2) If you wreck the truck, you're wrong. It doesn't matter if gremlins highjack a 747 and crash ii into your vehicle which is parked 34 miles from the nearest airport, it's still your fault.

Oh, one more similarity; You will be let go after peak. If they like you (a lot), and they need drivers (badly), and they can get past the ratio (they can in Feeders), then they might give you a call.

2Slow

Feeders. I figured i would get let go after the holiday season. Hoping for full-time work but not counting on it.

You will most likely be let go after peak. (we call it peak, not usually Christmas)
The bad news is we are a 24/7 operation. We mostly work Monday through Friday, but you will work some weekends. You will work nights, mornings, evenings, all during the same week sometimes. You will rarely work less than 11 or 12 hours. We get OT after 8 hours in a shift, not sure about seasonal hires.
You are going to be "on call", probably for as long as a couple of years. On call is a tough life, I took to turning my phone off when I was really tired. You will work every snow day, guaranteed. And you haven't lived til you've seen your back box trying to pass you! (stay on the gas and don't look in the mirrors at that point)

The really good news is that we need feeder drivers like crazy at the 81st street hub. We have gone through all the delivery guys, all the combo, and I'm pretty sure, all the part timers too and we still need feeder drivers.
More good news; if you are hired permanently, you can expect to make between 75 and 100k with paid benefits and pension. (after your 3 year progression to top pay)
More good news; In Feeders (unlike package car) they actually do want you to be safe. You don't need to speed, falsify log books, or run broken equipment. Hurry means don't stand around chatting with your buddies. They want you to pretrip every piece of equipment, every time. If it's snowing, we slow down. If it's bad enough, we stop.
We have no over the road drivers at 81st, you go home at the end of every shift. Occasionally, you'll get stuck somewhere and they put you in a hotel, but that's rare.

What to expect Monday?
I came from delivery so the process may not be the same. You will most likely spend your whole first day watching videos and filling out forms. You must memorize the 5 seeing habits and the 10 point commentary. (ignore those threads on here about not needing to, those are for seniority drivers... You MUST memorize them)
Then you will go out with a trainer (supervisor) and drive around in empty equipment. You will practice the UPS way, do it the UPS way. For example, Blue on first and off last, always! Especially when turning on the air to the back trailer.
At some point, you will start pulling live loads. (trailers that are not empty) At this point, you will be on call but you will most likely still have a trainer riding with you. The process takes 2 weeks for those of us that came from delivery from first day to on our own. I'm not sure how long they will spend with you, it may depend a lot on how well you pick up the job. Once you are on your own, you will rarely ever see your supervisor again. You will be working for the dispatch people. If you have questions about the job or the equipment, never hesitate to ask. The guys are almost all very helpful. If we see you doing something wrong, we will walk right up and tell you so. Take it with a good attitude, because you are the new guy and you have a lot to learn. (Even if you have a lot of experience elsewhere)

If your trainer is an old grumpy guy, congrats, you got one of the ones who know what they are doing. If he sleeps while you drive, you're doing ok.
Good luck
Look for me in the white mule...