anyone being scared into having their health insurance change mid contract?

Happening here in Michigan. Management is asking us to drop our negotiated health plan and enroll in "another aetna plan".

It is a completely different plan.

I have never heard of this.

This is not right!

airbusfxr

Call your local and get them involved. Do not let your mgt team make you take anything less. I figured it would be 2013 before this would happen. This will be your call to strike in 2013 when the company tries to take health care away from you. Be prepared and make sure you stewards get involved.

I think people here in Michigan feel vulnerable and are willing to make concessions. Anything to protect their job.

I am wondering if we are the test area since unemployment is so high here and many are fearful of losing their jobs. As they are saying it saves the company money and it definitely does not save us money.

I dont think the drivers here realize were the only ones being asked to do
this???

I take it no other teamsters within UPS out of our area is being asked to do this?

Are any of you out there being pressured to do this???

They make it sound like the company is asking all ups union full timers and retirees to do this.

Can they force our center into doing this?

tourists24

You can get any insurance on your own that you want to I suppose... but unless there is a complete change in your contract language somehow I dont see it changing.

knightablaze

The Washington district is consolidating all of its insurance plans under one company, but we're not being pressured to drop union insurance. That doesn't make any sense and sounds illegal. Those would be the first words I relayed to management.

"This doesn't make sense; it sounds illegal."

Yet ...
better be hoping Obama gets National health care as a net just in case. :sad-little:
OBAMACARE is just what the company is banking on. IF/WHEN the HC reform bill is passed with a "public option", the company (or the Teamsters) could switch to the much cheaper public option and saving the company millions or more, yet leaving the employees with government run health care.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Same here. This is what we fought for in 97. Let the Company take over. Trust us to do better than the Union. Not.

Can't argue with your statement but trusting the Teamsters? Did such a bang-up job with Central States.
The 1997 strike was about Central States and all the other Multi-employer pension funds that the Teamsters have mismanaged into insolvency.

It's like picking your poison - hemlock or cyanide.

UPSGUY72

We have Teamsters funded health insurance in are local and it's great. Only pay union dues once a months. No copays except on Med but We also get a $600 dollars annual allowance to cover that stuff.

I haven't had a problem with them and its saved me a fortune with two kids 1 and 3.

NHDRVR

We have Teamsters funded health insurance in are local and it's great. Only pay union dues once a months. No copays except on Med but We also get a $600 dollars annual allowance to cover that stuff.

I haven't had a problem with them and its saved me a fortune with two kids 1 and 3.

You aren't kidding...

My kids were born for free, we have the dental, vision, etc.,

We have good benefits, this I will admit...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
OBAMACARE is just what the company is banking on. IF/WHEN the HC reform bill is passed with a "public option", the company (or the Teamsters) could switch to the much cheaper public option and saving the company millions or more, yet leaving the employees with government run health care.

Not only UPS but the Teamsters as well ... the Teamsters would benefit much more than UPS.

NHDRVR

Yes, basically they are free except for are Union dues.

I have to say that in our local, I don't know of too many drivers that bitch and moan about paying union dues. Some do, of course, but that's everywhere..

I have no problem with it because I see our BA all of the time and he has 5 centers to cover. Our SS are always active and poking their noses into things so on that end I have no problem.

I absolutely understand someone complaining about their dues if their local isn't doing anything, of course.