Anyone else being forced to drive 62 hour weeks? On topic

freelabor

As title states it seems our building and most likely our district has found some sort of loop hole that would allow us to drive 62 hour weeks. Im on break and on hour 57 as we speak. Spineless BA says work as directed. I dont buy it though. Any insight would be appreciated thanks!

freelabor

No idea some straight management wizardry. Thats why i asked. Either way messeged in that im going to call the DOT to verify. And got bailed out realll quick!

Dr.Brownz

No idea some straight management wizardry. Thats why i asked. Either way messeged in that im going to call the DOT to verify. And got bailed out realll quick!

Did you subtract the half hour you take for lunch everyday from the 60 hour total? Unpaid time doesn't count toward the 60 hour total.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

It is not management wizardry. It is DOT HOS.

We all subtract our unpaid lunch from our hours of service, because it is not paid, but usually don't subtract our paid breaks. They are considered off duty for DOT HOS purposes.

I get two 10 minute paid breaks per day. So, under the DOT HOS, I can drive up to 61.66 hours per week, including the two 10 minute breaks.

But the breaks should actually not be included, so in reality, I can only drive up to 60.00 hours per week, subtracting my paid breaks.

moldsporh

How do you get forced to drive 62 hours?
Because he/she is on the 70 hours in 8 days plan. You can't have more than 60 hours on duty in 7 consecutive days unless you are on the 70 hour schedule.

Not sure how this is being interpreted but 62 hours on your paycheck and not using the 70 hour plan is a bad deal.

Chilly Willie

As title states it seems our building and most likely our district has found some sort of loop hole that would allow us to drive 62 hour weeks. Im on break and on hour 57 as we speak. Spineless BA says work as directed. I dont buy it though. Any insight would be appreciated thanks!
We are doing this in Oakland. It sucks ...but hey use it against them later in the year after you file a 9.5 grievance. Lol.

ups1990

We are doing this in Oakland. It sucks ...but hey use it against them later in the year after you file a 9.5 grievance. Lol.
How are things up there for you guys? Heard that No Cal was on of the problem peak areas this year. Could you share with us your thoughts regarding this matter?

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
1st off, get over yourself. You're not being done wrong. Are you being maxed out? Yes, you are. Are you being "wizarded"? No. The federal DOT regulations are the law, but, you don't understand them and obviously your mgmt hasn't explained them to you. I don't blame you for not trusting them, though.

I usually work 63.33 hours every week in feeder, and it's pretty much the norm in my local. Here's what's up:

1) YOU MAY ONLY WORK ON DUTY AS A DRIVER FOR 60 HOURS IN 7 DAYS, unless you have a sleeper berth, in which case you can work 70 in 7. You are 60/7 as a PACKAGE DRIVER.

2) If you are punched in for 12.5 hours, you are only ON DUTY/PAID for 12, because you take a 30 minute unpaid meal, every day. That's 60 paid hours a week, even though you were at work a total of 62.5 hours.

3) Now, subtract all your OFF DUTY, but, paid breaks from your week. Usually 40 mins a day: (2) 15 mins and a 10, here in CA. This comes out to 3.33 hours a week that you were ALSO off duty, EVEN THOUGH YOU WERE PAID for the time. These do not count towards your 60 HOUR ON DUTY max. You should now understand that even though you can be paid 63.33 hours a week, YOU WERE ONLY ON DUTY FOR 60, and all is legal and ok. If you work through your breaks, you cannot take credit for this off duty time.

There are a few more important rules.
A) You can only be on duty as a driver for 14 hours, punch to punch, including meals and breaks. B) You must have a 10 hour uninterrupted off duty period, between shifts. C) When the 60 or 70 hour limit as an ON DUTY DRIVER is reached you must take a 34 hour, uninterrupted, off duty period to reset your hours of service. D) The hours of service is a 7 day rolling calendar. There are a few more nuanced rules, but those really only come into play when you're in feeder and actually driving more than walking on foot as a package driver. (Don't get stuck on the M-Fri calendar, even though it's not common to work weekends in package)

Here's where the mindfck occurs: at the end of your daily and/or weekly on duty maximum as driver, you CAN continue to work in any NON-DRIVING CAPACITY. This means you can be a helper, runner, loader, sorter, porter, etc for an unlimited number of hours, upon reaching your driving limits. Usually, this means becoming a "helper" while another driver relieves you, on Fridays, when you're hours have been maxed. Yes, this sucks, but it's legal. I've done it and it blows, especially at the end of the week. I know this was a long post, but it's easy to understand when the rules are in play EVERYDAY, as in feeder. When you're in package, it's not common to push your HOS to their limits and that's when it can feel like the rules are being made up.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You're not being screwed. We like to use 14 hours punch to punch as a number because it builds in a safety net for both parties. But in reality your breaks get pulled out of it.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
You're not being screwed. We like to use 14 hours punch to punch as a number because it builds in a safety net for both parties. But in reality your breaks get pulled out of it.
This is a half truth. You use the 14 hour rule because you don't enforce people to actually stop working on their paid breaks. It's to cover mgmts ass and has little to do with caring about the drivers. If that was the case, we'd be able to call it a day when we are exhausted and fatigued. The union and dot are the ones who care about driver safety.

freelabor

Cool thanks for helping clear things up everybody!

I honestly learn more lurking on this forum than i do at work. I was getting conflicting information from my steward, BA and the veteran drivers i talk to. so i knew it would be a good idea to ask here.

For the most part I understand most of the DOT rules, but not the finer details that KYD pointed out.

And as for getting over myself about management. I cant, I keep my tinfoil hat on at all times lol!