Anyone else being forced to work this Weekend?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
About 30 drivers were asked to work yesterday at my center. Including me. Basically required from the bottom up. They said they could make an exception if you had previous plans, such as going out of town for the weekend. I don't know what the big deal is. They tell me to work, I work. Happy to for time and a half. And it was an easy :censored2: day. 60 stops, 70 packages. Walk in the park. During the week, I averaged 235 stops, 425 packages a day. Yesterday brought me to about 59 hours for the week.

You top rate guys say "no way" to an easy $48/hr? During the week, I gladly killed myself for $17.25/hr.
I won't even work for triple-time.

Marne Vet

I won't even work for triple-time.

Me either. My family time trumps any double/triple-time UPS will pay me. If they're paying me to stay home (like Black Friday), then I'm happy to be home doing stuff with the family. I will never volunteer to work extra at UPS under any circumstances. We once had a rookie driver call out sick, but the center manager drove to his home with his package car, and convinced him to work. We couldn't believe that even happened, but it did, and the rookie took the trip out that day. Show up at my house with a package car when I call out sick and I'm calling the cops to have it towed. I might go to the door to see if they're lost, and need directions. Maybe even offer them a nice hot cup of coco, but there would be NO WAY IN HELL that I would take a trip out if I was sick.

Volunteer for more work? hahahaha you crazy.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Me either. My family time trumps any double/triple-time UPS will pay me. If they're paying me to stay home (like Black Friday), then I'm happy to be home doing stuff with the family. I will never volunteer to work extra at UPS under any circumstances. We once had a rookie driver call out sick, but the center manager drove to his home with his package car, and convinced him to work. We couldn't believe that even happened, but it did, and the rookie took the trip out that day. Show up at my house with a package car when I call out sick and I'm calling the cops to have it towed. I might go to the door to see if they're lost, and need directions. Maybe even offer them a nice hot cup of coco, but there would be NO WAY IN HELL that I would take a trip out if I was sick.

Volunteer for more work? hahahaha you crazy.
If I were desperate for cash, perhaps I'd volunteer. It has nothing to do with family time or anything like that for me. If UPS would manage their operations properly, there would be no reason to work anyone Saturday or Sunday, extra shifts and routes. As far as I'm concerned, picking up extra shifts bails out their poor planning.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If I were desperate for cash, perhaps I'd volunteer. It has nothing to do with family time or anything like that for me. If UPS would manage their operations properly, there would be no reason to work anyone Saturday or Sunday, extra shifts and routes. As far as I'm concerned, picking up extra shifts bails out their poor planning.

It depends on how one defines poor planning and the criteria used to evaluate the planning.
If one includes "cost containment" as a criteria, UPS planners might score high.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It depends on how one defines poor planning and the criteria used to evaluate the planning.
If one includes "cost containment" as a criteria, UPS planners might score high.
Well yes, if being forced to work weekends and X-Mas and everything else is put aside, and we are talking about Wall St. greed, then yes the scores may be high from a planning perspective.
I'm sure some people will be scared into working these extra days.
Seven day work weeks = great planning when the obedient worker bees cooperate with the "plan"
I was attempted to be guilted into working, but no thanks was my only answer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I signed up to work the day after Christmas. My son and I will be spending Christmas Day together and he will be going snowboarding on Thursday. When the list was put up it was "hours only" but I have a feeling with the weather we are getting this weekend that I may end up getting my 8 (or more).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seven day work weeks = great planning when the obedient worker bees cooperate with the "plan"
I was attempted to be guilted into working, but no thanks was my only answer.

I believe there is language in the contract to provide Teamsters the right to refuse ... demonstrating the power of collective bargaining.
On the other side, if higher paid employees turn down the option to work then lower paid employees work and maybe some management.

Cost containment criteria looking like an A+.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Correct. How about service? OTN? :D
That's a different criteria of a qualitative nature and as long as you are better than your competitors, it is of questionable value.
I believe UPS's large shippers are willing to accept reduced service during peak times as long as the prices are kept lower.
Many, if not all large shippers, contracts with UPS forego any service failure guarantee refunds.

JL 0513

I don't think it's "poor planning" that this situation occurs at UPS. What is a company to do when volume doubles for just a a couple of weeks a year? They already hire tons of seasonal workers that just have to get laid off. Never mind the temp drivers. They can only add so many of them. Mainly because of the limit of package cars. As it is, they rent lots of extra trucks. It just makes way more sense for us permanent full timers to work an extra day once or twice a year to get the service done. Not a big deal.

Try being a retail worker. Work all day Saturday and Sunday every week. For a tiny paycheck.

jaker

trolling
I signed up to work the day after Christmas. My son and I will be spending Christmas Day together and he will be going snowboarding on Thursday. When the list was put up it was "hours only" but I have a feeling with the weather we are getting this weekend that I may end up getting my 8 (or more).
I don't know what world you work in but the day after Christmas is a normal work day