Anyone else dealing with layoffs after x-mas?

jasman19

Word around the camp fire in pdx is a two week automotive layoff?!? I thought we were pulling down profit during this recession? Wondering what's really going on, so anyone else dealing with this same Merry Christmas you're laid off crap?

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to Brown Cafe, Jasman19. Two weeks is harsh. I can't understand them laying off automotive people these two weeks. You'd think that would be the perfect time to get everything fixed.

robot

Has A Large Member
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to January. I've been busted back to package car or hub work past two years...ugh!

upssup

I know we were instructed to keep our mechanics at 8 hours or less and that was all we heard. Also hearing that volume is supposed to be high for the next two weeks.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I like when they lay of the auto guys. I mean its not like I want my brakes fixed, or anything like that.

My building will lay off at least 12 guys after xmas, happy new year.

kmjs14

I like when they lay of the auto guys. I mean its not like I want my brakes fixed, or anything like that.

My building will lay off at least 12 guys after xmas, happy new year.

When you say "layoff" do you mean a temporary layoff similar to a furlough or is this a permanent cut?

jasman19

Thanks for all the replies. We were told originally the layoff was due to the budget, but now the story is low volume. I would understand that reasoning if we were talking about package. I agree with the first response, auto should be doing catch up work on all the equipment coming back and the already down equipment.

siredline09

Word around the camp fire in pdx is a two week automotive layoff?!? I thought we were pulling down profit during this recession? Wondering what's really going on, so anyone else dealing with this same Merry Christmas you're laid off crap?

well im not automotive but they laid off all the AM air drivers in New York City I was one of them not sure for the rest of the country or state...got laid off DEC 24 2010 this is going to be permanent for us since there are giving are EAM and NDA to FT drivers