Anyone Else Get a Cookie?

vantexan

Along with getting our paychecks this evening we got to take a fortune cookie out of a box. Tomorrow the slip inside the cookie will go into a drawing for a $50 gift certificate to use at company store. Told them no thanks and that I won't be participating in SFA this year either. Mgr, who is a nice lady, asked me why not. As far as I'm concerned I'm a second class citizen, need better pay, not trinkets, and the SFA doesn't ever change things. She was also putting up posters about P-S-P. I pointed out that years ago in many places I always heard "People-Service-Profit, with our people always coming first.", but a few years back Fred S made the statement that the 3 components were equal and it was never intended that one be more important than the others.

Guess I'm getting ever closer to the end. I wonder how seriously they're taking an employee's right to express opinions these days?

vantexan

P-S-P = People Serving Pilots. Wow!! A chance at a $50 gift certificate for some crap merchandise from the company store. SIGN ME UP!!!

You know, all the little awards, etc make me think about the white guys who bought Manhattan Island from the Indians for $24 worth of goods. As if we will ooooh and aaaahh over neat new stuff.

snackdad

It is all so belittling. Everyday management plays the game of sadistic school master and then throws you a treat to make you think "hey it's not so bad". Good for you for not taking a cookie. Who needs more overpriced Purple and Orange plastic crap.
I for so many years participated in the Company Picnics because I felt a duty to be there because management had to be there, kind of a show of respect. What a waste of a good day, they turn their backs on you and back stab you regardless of any effort that you put in.
I remember one well publicized company Picnic that was supposed to build moral. Four managers showed up because they had to, three other employees and me. It was so awkward to be standing around and being the only ones there out of about 80 employees. One sweaty manager cooked burgers for a phantom audience. We were relieved when another employee showed up to join the awkwardness. He said "is that all that showed up?" We said yup. He turned around, threw his home cooked contribution for the picnic in the garbage and left in disgust. That hit home for me and I never felt like making the effort to support this charade of caring ever again.

vantexan

I remember one well publicized company Picnic that was supposed to build moral. Four managers showed up because they had to, three other employees and me. We were relieved when another employee showed up to join the awkwardness. He said "is that all that showed up?" We said yup. He turned around, threw his home cooked contribution for the picnic in the garbage and left in disgust. That hit home for me and I never felt like making the effort to support this charade of caring ever again.

There was one station I worked at in the early 90's that had several extremely attractive lady couriers. As I recall all activities were very well attended there, especially co-ed basketball. Unfotunately they were all married.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It is all so belittling. Everyday management plays the game of sadistic school master and then throws you a treat to make you think "hey it's not so bad". Good for you for not taking a cookie. Who needs more overpriced Purple and Orange plastic crap.
I for so many years participated in the Company Picnics because I felt a duty to be there because management had to be there, kind of a show of respect. What a waste of a good day, they turn their backs on you and back stab you regardless of any effort that you put in.
I remember one well publicized company Picnic that was supposed to build moral. Four managers showed up because they had to, three other employees and me. It was so awkward to be standing around and being the only ones there out of about 80 employees. One sweaty manager cooked burgers for a phantom audience. We were relieved when another employee showed up to join the awkwardness. He said "is that all that showed up?" We said yup. He turned around, threw his home cooked contribution for the picnic in the garbage and left in disgust. That hit home for me and I never felt like making the effort to support this charade of caring ever again.

This sounds like so many other locations. Managers have a gun put to their heads to show "teamwork" and put on these dog and pony shows. Have any of you had VIP visitors recently? We had one, and it was like God was coming to the station. All of the managers in suits, food, and all of the phony ass-kissing and "Isn't FedEx GREAT!!?" Nothing but pre-screened, scripted questions with predictable "you're lucky to have a job here" responses. It was enough to gag a maggot.

They might as well have sent a robot.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This sounds like so many other locations. Managers have a gun put to their heads to show "teamwork" and put on these dog and pony shows. Have any of you had VIP visitors recently? We had one, and it was like God was coming to the station. All of the managers in suits, food, and all of the phony ass-kissing and "Isn't FedEx GREAT!!?" Nothing but pre-screened, scripted questions with predictable "you're lucky to have a job here" responses. It was enough to gag a maggot.

Good time to take an "emergency" personal day or just call in sick.

They might as well have sent a robot.

Sounds like a good time to take an "emergency" personal day or just call in sick.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

There was one station I worked at in the early 90's that had several extremely attractive lady couriers. As I recall all activities were very well attended there, especially co-ed basketball. Unfotunately they were all married.

Sadly, if they stayed on too long, they probably weren't married for long. FedEx is hell on marriages.

snackdad

My favorite saying was aimed at management. "we're not happy unless your not happy". Seems like it was the daily goal of management to foment uneasy feelings, infighting and rumor and suspicion. For many many years we have had a theft problem at our station. Not just random little theft but case of iPhones, case of Laptops theft. We lost so many ipods and iphones in one week in our station that our station almost lost the entire Apple account for FedEx. I always suspected one of the managers that is still active at the station. Maybe the multiple foreclosures, divorce, substance abuse issues were too much to manage on that managers salary.
FedEx Security was useless as well as the fake cameras supposedly tied direct "to Memphis". Our station was so pathetically unorganized that the VCR that was supposed to record any suspicious belt activity lacked tapes because someone for got to order them or the budget did not allow it. Cost cutting was so bad in our station that we were without any toilet paper for the entire station. Funny, the same guy that disgustedly threw his home made food in the trash at the ill attended company picnic made another statement by buying 50 rolls of toilet paper and leaving them at the senior managers door. Management thought they could solve their budget woes by cutting things like coffee stir sticks and toilet paper. What's wrong with treating your employees well, respecting them as professionals and create a pull together "we can do this attitude" rather than a "what is this 4 minute gap" attitude.

bbsam

Staff member
Because people like MFE don't want to be part of the "we" in a "we can do this attitude". They want to be part of the "we" as in "we want to tell the company how to do things".

vantexan

An update on my original post. The fortune cookies were special made for this. The slip inside has a number on it. On the P-S-P poster mgr put up there's a number hidden that corresponds to the number of one of the cookies. You must read poster to locate number and if same as yours you win the $50 company store certificate. Surprised no one else has seen it, maybe it's a regional thing. This is an example of the brilliant brainstorming that justifies jobs in Memphis!

vantexan

Because people like MFE don't want to be part of the "we" in a "we can do this attitude". They want to be part of the "we" as in "we want to tell the company how to do things".

"We" are more than happy to let the company make decisions. "We" just get tired of the decisions that hurt us. "They" never seem to tire of finding ways to hurt us. "You" will support anything that lines your pockets.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Maybe we're just tired of being screwed over at every turn. Any decision these days solely benefits the upper management and not the workforce that actually makes money for the company.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"We" are more than happy to let the company make decisions. "We" just get tired of the decisions that hurt us. "They" never seem to tire of finding ways to hurt us. "You" will support anything that lines your pockets.

Well said. There is no "we" at FedEx.