Anyone else seeing a HUGE increase full time jobs?

upschuck

Wow, that's nuts!
e69a4504a09c90bb.jpg

Asskicker

They have a lot of drivers going into feeder because feeder guys are retiring. Finally had enough. They are even posting combo jobs because they have stretched employees too thin. Drivers are now able to take combo jobs and a lot are signing up. Tired of working a mandatory twelve hour day. Oh...and did you hear Hoffa got a raise? He deserves that right? What a joke!!!

pns2clt

I meant to type...where in metro detroit is a new center opening.

The new building will be in Howell. I've been told it'll initially be a converted, temporary facility as opposed to a permanent one but do not know if that's accurate.

Madison Heights just completed a bid for 16 positions but many more than that got a call. Amazing that last year the highest bidders had 10+ years while today everyone with 3+ got the call.

Corporate was also in here talking about Orion earlier in the week.

McGee

The new building will be in Howell. I've been told it'll initially be a converted, temporary facility as opposed to a permanent one but do not know if that's accurate.

Madison Heights just completed a bid for 16 positions but many more than that got a call. Amazing that last year the highest bidders had 10+ years while today everyone with 3+ got the call.

Corporate was also in here talking about Orion earlier in the week.

hmm...Howell is growing, so it does make sense, and good to hear about Madison Heights as well...

Definitely going to give them a call and see if they are needing any more people.
Any news about Wixom?

pns2clt

hmm...Howell is growing, so it does make sense, and good to hear about Madison Heights as well...

Definitely going to give them a call and see if they are needing any more people.
Any news about Wixom?

Howell's suppose to be the temporary solution for Wixom.

feeder05

they are hireing 20 new backups for feeder in the next year due to retirements and the impact of Amazon haveing two DC's in the area. My son only had to wait a year and a half to go driving…in his third day.

pns2clt

Hmmm... so they are either going to build OR find somewhere big enough since Novi/Wixom ( South Lyon) seems to have grown a LOT!...

Wixom's been blown out for years. It's the smallest building in metro Detroit (just one belt, and the building's landlocked preventing expansion) but serves Detroit's heavy suburban sprawl. Their preload has been working peak-like hours for some time now. Howell is suppose to alleviate Wixom but will pull from other areas (presumably Lansing) as well. I've been told that it will be a converted building (NOT new construction) and just a temporary fix but do not know if this is fact however a building will definitely be open in Howell by peak.

Drivers follow their routes. If they don't, PTers can bid on them. When Madison Heights opened, they brought West Bloomfield over from Wixom but none of the drivers wanted to come to Mad Heights so the routes went to Wixom PTers in their early 20s. Imagine being in your early 20s with a premium route in WB! We have guys in Mad Heights still swinging after 20 years since they don't want to be in Oak Park, Southfield, etc.

Last edited:

Seahawks17

There have been driving positions opening up constantly at my hub. About 30+ recently. They even had a FT 22.3 car washer job open up.

Sent using BrownCafe App

McGee

Wixom's been blown out for years. It's the smallest building in metro Detroit (just one belt, and the building's landlocked preventing expansion) but serves Detroit's heavy suburban sprawl. Their preload has been working peak-like hours for some time now. Howell is suppose to alleviate Wixom but will pull from other areas (presumably Lansing) as well. I've been told that it will be a converted building (NOT new construction) and just a temporary fix but do not know if this is fact however a building will definitely be open in Howell by peak.

Drivers follow their routes. If they don't, PTers can bid on them. When Madison Heights opened, they brought West Bloomfield over from Wixom but none of the drivers wanted to come to Mad Heights so the routes went to Wixom PTers in their early 20s. Imagine being in your early 20s with a premium route in WB! We have guys in Mad Heights still swinging after 20 years since they don't want to be in Oak Park, Southfield, etc.

Damn, I'm going to call tomorrow! Thanks for the info!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Acc0rd

Orlando just put up 16 new FT Feeder routes, which you know what that means? New Package car drivers. There isn't a week that goes by where there isn't a bid sheet up for FT/Air/Cover routes. I know of another center in North Florida that hasn't put on one single new FT driver since 2006!! They are in a dead zone and not looking to change any time soon. So glad I am not there! I just saw about 4 or 5 new P1000's outside by the fence the other day too! Glad to see the wheels are finally moving again.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
UPS started in Texas in 1971, getting the approval to go everywhere. There are still a few day 1 drivers, almost all in feeders. I didn't start until 1976. The turnover rate in feeders is very low. However, due to some favorable language in this contract, they are leaving my center in droves, me included :) There have been 5 or 6 retire in Jan-Feb alone, out of about 120 drivers. management added 2 on road supervisor just to train, let alone do OJS's. All those newbies from package means *everybody* moves up the food chain, from top to bottom. Hopefully my son can catch a driver job. I need him to move out of my house! haha

16tons

With all the full time hires, I'm thinking Saturday ground delivery is right around the corner....

My center isn't big enough for all the new hires (over 10% new hires on 1 bid list) nor enough pkg cars. I can't see UPS expanding all our buildings.

6th day makes more sense. Same building, same trucks, happy customers.

Monday thru Friday drivers, Tuesday thru Saturday drivers?