Anyone else seeing a HUGE increase full time jobs?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
With all the full time hires, I'm thinking Saturday ground delivery is right around the corner....

My center isn't big enough for all the new hires (over 10% new hires on 1 bid list) nor enough pkg cars. I can't see UPS expanding all our buildings.

6th day makes more sense. Same building, same trucks, happy customers.

Monday thru Friday drivers, Tuesday thru Saturday drivers?
This really does make sense and I'm hearing the same thoughts from many people.

My question is how does the contract cover this? If I get stuck on tues-sat ill start looking for a new job immediately. One of the main things unions were founded on were Saturday Sunday weekends.

16tons

I don't know of anything in the central stopping it. I don't like it either, but it makes good business sense. Can't imagine we'd see as many routes out on sat, just resis and some retail.

Plus you'd still get two days, Sunday Monday.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Then your seniority shooould keep your weekend, unless you have a resi rte....

I'm hoping my ball busting industrial pu's keep my weekend. Middle of the pack seniority wise.
The trouble is that routes no longer matter. A few clicks here and few clicks there, your route no longer resembles what you bid on.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Saturday ground wouldn't make sense in my center. Volume is so low Monday that they slash a ton of routes. If they put what they had on the weekend out for delivery they would have trouble keeping the remaining core routes at 8 hours. Additionally they would have to run additional sorts and that's an unnecessary expense. They're working on reducing miles and being more efficient...making another loop around a town when you could do it Monday on the trip you're already making is much more efficient.

I'm not saying there is no way they would make the move to Saturday ground--It just isn't cost effective. I could see them running weekends for peak. We would have the volume to make it effective.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

I can't see them running saturday the same as M-friend. They'd likely bid for the volume that HD does on saturday. With that extra volume, we could become more competitive in saturday airs. They'd probably try to make the lowest seniority driver do saturday in addition to m-friend, and pay them a lower rate.

Brownslave688

Saturday ground wouldn't make sense in my center. Volume is so low Monday that they slash a ton of routes. If they put what they had on the weekend out for delivery they would have trouble keeping the remaining core routes at 8 hours. Additionally they would have to run additional sorts and that's an unnecessary expense. They're working on reducing miles and being more efficient...making another loop around a town when you could do it Monday on the trip you're already making is much more efficient.

I'm not saying there is no way they would make the move to Saturday ground--It just isn't cost effective. I could see them running weekends for peak. We would have the volume to make it effective.
Only thing is we are losing lots of business to fedex on Saturday. I order from a few different companies that if the scheduled delivery for ups is on Monday they'll send it fedex so I get it Saturday.

I agree with the idea that it'll all start this peak though.

Brownslave688

I can't see them running saturday the same as M-friend. They'd likely bid for the volume that HD does on saturday. With that extra volume, we could become more competitive in saturday airs. They'd probably try to make the lowest seniority driver do saturday in addition to m-friend, and pay them a lower rate.
Can't make them work 6 days at a lower rate. 6 day punch is double time I believe and has to be offered from the top down. Per the contract.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
There is already a Saturday operation. I did it for freaking ever. Being that most Saturday air drivers at least where I'm at are part time cover drivers you wouldn't really need to add much more to have them do ground as well. Either continue 6 days a week and just add some ground to each route or have them split. Half does m-friend and the other half does t-s. wouldn't really be that hard. And as long as its just resi it really wouldn't be that much different than Saturday air is now

rpoz11

Maybe the point of Orion was because there is going to be more cars on the road?

In this comment, you might have something here.
After reading around here, would the implementation of Orion constitute controlling hours and routes on road?
This hiring for example might be following this Orion implementation.

Plus, all the new hires would remove tons of overtime.

Thoughts....

rpoz11

This makes sense to me.
Seniority should be honored before they choose the routes and or areas selected to be t-sat routes.
Another thought comes to mind is what hourly rate employees will they use for all operations if or when this takes place?

Brownslave688

In this comment, you might have something here.
After reading around here, would the implementation of Orion constitute controlling hours and routes on road?
This hiring for example might be following this Orion implementation.

Plus, all the new hires would remove tons of overtime.

Thoughts....
9.5 was a serious issue at these last contract hearings. Sups are suddenly very worried as to what stop count is 8 hours on the routes.

Would we put it past ups to say ok you don't want so much OT we will give you zero OT and make you beg for more hours.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Maybe the point of Orion was because there is going to be more cars on the road?

Wishful thinking?

Interesting idea. However, I think the point of Orion is mainly what they've promoted, that is, ultimately to save miles, and hence fuel. This goes right along with no left turns and strict monitoring of idling time.

However, with the savings realized from saved miles/fuel, I think they may be realizing other secondary benefits. One is that the cost for putting another car (and a newer, more fuel efficient car, at that) and driver on the road is on par or only slightly more than piling OT on drivers. This can lead to even more benefits as stress is relieved from the driver force, reducing, among other things, costly injuries, accidents, and misdeliveries.

sportsjock

In my center we've added six new drivers which all passed because they were all peak season cover drivers. Next week we are getting more. My center manager said we are getting a total of 16 more new hires.

Sent using BrownCafe App