Anyone else think this is BS???

GoBrown???

From Parade magazine dated 4/6/08

A New Way To Save on Gas
The delivery giant UPS thinks that making right turns instead of turning left at intersections can help the environment. Tom Dowdy, a UPS engineer, says the company redesigned its routes so that drivers would make a minimum of left-hand turns. As a result, the company shaved 30 million miles off its deliveries in 2007 and thus saved the cost of 3 million gallons of gas. It also reduced UPS truck emissions by 32,000 metric tons (equivalent to the emissions of 5300 passenger cars).

What makes right turns so much more energy-efficient? Cars and trucks are not idling in traffic—burning fuel and releasing emissions—when they turn right as opposed to left. (Turning right also is often safer, because drivers don’t have to face oncoming traffic to make a turn.) “People can’t control sky-high gas prices,” says Dowdy, “but they can make small changes in their driving habits that benefit them financially and environmentally over time.”

They must be kidding...my center here wastes so much gas with stupid split routes or adding splits to routes that aren't even close to each other. One day I had a split of 8 stops that were 45 minutes away from my last stop. And I had alot of left turns to make

dillweed

I saw that article too. Seems to me the idea behind right turns was to save time. Maybe some company spokeperson gave it a "green" twist to make the company look good. naww:wink2:

dragracer66

From Parade magazine dated 4/6/08

A New Way To Save on Gas
The delivery giant UPS thinks that making right turns instead of turning left at intersections can help the environment. Tom Dowdy, a UPS engineer, says the company redesigned its routes so that drivers would make a minimum of left-hand turns. As a result, the company shaved 30 million miles off its deliveries in 2007 and thus saved the cost of 3 million gallons of gas. It also reduced UPS truck emissions by 32,000 metric tons (equivalent to the emissions of 5300 passenger cars).

What makes right turns so much more energy-efficient? Cars and trucks are not idling in traffic—burning fuel and releasing emissions—when they turn right as opposed to left. (Turning right also is often safer, because drivers don’t have to face oncoming traffic to make a turn.) “People can’t control sky-high gas prices,” says Dowdy, “but they can make small changes in their driving habits that benefit them financially and environmentally over time.”

They must be kidding...my center here wastes so much gas with stupid split routes or adding splits to routes that aren't even close to each other. One day I had a split of 8 stops that were 45 minutes away from my last stop. And I had alot of left turns to make
Don't take this the wrongway but this is way old news...Theres been a few threads about this on here already.....

Griff

What do you expect, it's called the public relations smoke machine. Almost everything they put on a TV screen or in a newspaper is embellished or half-truth. Just like how UPS drivers "start" at $75,000 a year, I'd like to see a new seniority driver pull in 75k while making $14.80 or whatever it is.

JustTired

free at last.......
I'm not sure who are the bigger idiots.

The ones pitching this idea........or the ones buying into it.

Everybody knows that the fast drivers make left turns. Right turns put you into the wall.

You better keep turning right, though. One of these same geniuses will set the cars up so you can't ever turn left if you don't. Don't believe this? Look at my tag line.
l
l
l
\l/

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I feel the whole chest-thumping about how UPS is saving gas because of EDD/PAS is so far-fetched. I would guess only half the routes that use EDD can be followed from 1st to last stop in order. In my years of covering routes, my area knowledge trumps anything the computer could tell me how to run the route
I guarantee if every single driver in every single center followed EDD the way its listed, In every district IE would be in an early morning meeting the next day getting their heads lopped off

maybrown

is not a woman
I know how they design you always go over 1 street and make right turn to come back and so on. I see they waste more time and gas.

feeder53

ADKtrails
True stats would help, and I am sure it is part of the smoke and mirrors plan. Maybe dog and pony show...If it sels UPS GREAT!

Channahon

I don't know about anybody else, but I always try to make right hand turns, when planning a route, ever since I was a driver over 30 years ago. I also back my car into a parking space, when the opportunity presents itself. Just driving habits that have stuck with me during my career at UPS.

And I don't think the article is BS, keeping in mind the article is referencing corporate numbers, not only your centers. From UPS.com

Operating Facilities: 1,801

Delivery Fleet: 93,637 package cars, vans, tractors, motorcycles

JustTired

free at last.......
The traffic flow around our building is all left hand turns. The first turn we make after leaving the building is left.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but if you only make right hand turns.....wouldn't you keep going around the same block all day (and night)?

In seriousness.....This might work somewhat in a metro area. But head out to the boonies and the blocks are a little bigger and (in general) you don't have to wait long (if at all) to make a left hand turn.

Anybody that thinks this saves the company money ought to stop and really think about the concept. If it still sounds logical, I think it's time to have that brain checked out.

Channahon.....I'm with you on the backing thing. I do it in my personal vehicle as well.

UPS Lifer

I don't know about anybody else, but I always try to make right hand turns, when planning a route, ever since I was a driver over 30 years ago. I also back my car into a parking space, when the opportunity presents itself. Just driving habits that have stuck with me during my career at UPS.

And I don't think the article is BS, keeping in mind the article is referencing corporate numbers, not only your centers. From UPS.com

Operating Facilities: 1,801

Delivery Fleet: 93,637 package cars, vans, tractors, motorcycles

Thank you Channahon for showing the scope of our facilities and fleet. I looped many areas and the areas are set up for right hand turns. In congested areas I still use that principle today!

It is faster and safer (IN GENERAL) to perform a route this way. Less idling time means you save gas. If (IN GENERAL) you save a smidgeon of fuel for each of 93,000 plus vehicles we are making an impact and saving the company money.

If UPS (IN GENERAL) did not run the business as efficiently and cost effective as possible these folks would be working somewhere else trying to earn the big salary and pension and benefits that UPS (IN GENERAL) provides for them.

(IN GENERAL) it is more efficient to make a right turn. You still have to apply good judgement as to the best trace your route should take on a daily basis to be efficient and cost effective.... This may mean you have to make a left hand turn on occasion.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Thank you Channahon for showing the scope of our facilities and fleet. I looped many areas and the areas are set up for right hand turns. In congested areas I still use that principle today!
How long have you been looping? I know when I started in 86 we were just getting the looping system.That's how I got my nick name.The article doesn't state what they are calling it now but you hit the nail on the head with the word looped.

When I started driving we used a system that involved a serpentine trace, I have no idea what they called it. Today when I set up my resi stops I still use the same methods. I always turn right off of a major street go a few blocks and make a left on a lesser busy street for one block (or whatever needed), make another left back to the busy street, turn right and start all over again.

On the backing into parking places, I did that many years before I had ever heard of UPS, it just makes good sense. I also try to personally route my self to not have to turn across traffic, even in a sleepy west Texas town it's dangerous.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I always try to deliver so that the passengers side door is at the stop, to keep from crossing the street. Regardless of whether I need to turn left or right. Area Knowledge baby! Less steps = less time = not getting run over....Just me.

UPS Lifer

How long have you been looping? I know when I started in 86 we were just getting the looping system.That's how I got my nick name.The article doesn't state what they are calling it now but you hit the nail on the head with the word looped.

My first encounter with looping came back in 1976. IE had the driver take the computer punch card and put it in the right order and break the blocks where it needed based on the driver's experience. Back then, it took 3-4 days (basically a week) each time a changes needed to take place!

As a preload and on-road supervisor I looped areas for my drivers based on their input and natural and area boundaries. The driver was also involved in setting up the car load diagram and the adjustments to and from.

I also was involved with the reloop of a new center that was moved to a different district and we had to loop areas to come from the opposite direction. This was going to be my center so I got the drivers involved with this project as well.