Anyone familiar with arbitration requiring drivers to take lunch on car?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Now I understand why they changed their title to Business Manager.

Over, isn't that splitting hairs? Obviously they are concerned about potential damage to the DIAD from the heat. I would just put it on the seat next to me and ignore any messages while I am eating.

That sounded tongue in cheek, upstate.:happy2:
I take my DIAD with me when I go and eat. I have a commercial route with plenty of restaurants to choose from. The DIAD is the only way I can tell what time it is, since I don't wear a watch, though I never answer messages, as they can wait till I'm done eating.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would also take this a step further. In some hot climates, drivers have been told to take their DIAD with them while on lunch, instead of locking it in the back of a 150 degree package car.

To me, the driver is NOT being "completely released from duty", and therefore should be paid his lunch.

What do you think?

Over, isn't that splitting hairs? Obviously they are concerned about potential damage to the DIAD from the heat. I would just put it on the seat next to me and ignore any messages while I am eating.

That sounded tongue in cheek, upstate.:happy2:
I take my DIAD with me when I go and eat. I have a commercial route with plenty of restaurants to choose from. The DIAD is the only way I can tell what time it is, since I don't wear a watch, though I never answer messages, as they can wait till I'm done eating.

Steve, I don't think Over was being sarcastic--I think he was asking what he thought to be a legitimate question and perhaps he is technically correct but it sounds like they are simply trying to protect the DIAD from the heat.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, I don't think Over was being sarcastic--I think he was asking what he thought to be a legitimate question and perhaps he is technically correct but it sounds like they are simply trying to protect the DIAD from the heat.

I meant you, being tongue in cheek. Why sit outside in the heat to eat your lunch, even if you brown bagged it. I always find somewhere to sit and enjoy my lunch. I usually ask in advance if it would be okay for me to sit in someone's break room and eat.

It's a little too hot and humid here in the summer to be delivering pkgs, let alone eat lunch outside.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

If UPS want to "split hairs" by trying to micromanage where when and how we eat and go potty, then we have every right to do the same thing in return.

UPS wrote the book on splitting hairs. They cant get mad at us for reading it.

I learned everything I know about being an unreasonable :censored2: from my management team.

over9five

Staff member
Actually, I was very serious. If I were to eat my lunch in the package car, I would have no problem keeping the DIAD up front with me.

However, I usually walk on my lunch. No way I'm carrying a DIAD on my walk (unless they pay me to). If it's not with me, I think I'm obligated to lock it in the back where it won't be stolen.

So my question is: If the company says I have to carry my DIAD during my lunch to prevent it from heat damage, shouldn't I get paid to do so seeing I'm not "completely released from duty"?

over9five

Staff member
I walk more now that I'm in Feeders. I used to take my lunch at a high school, and walk the track. On my present job I take my lunch at the building, so I walk the four centers. Once around is just a little over 1/4 mile, very close to the track!

some1else

So my question is: If the company says I have to carry my DIAD during my lunch to prevent it from heat damage, shouldn't I get paid to do so seeing I'm not "completely released from duty"?

isnt the bigger problem that our work area reaches 150degrees per the companies own statement lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No grievance panel is going to allow the company to deny drivers the use of suitable restroom or meal facilities...particularly if it has been a past practice.

Whats really sad is that we are paying a salary to the management person that would even try to implement such a rule. Even by UPS management standards this is heartless and ignorant.

sober, so they have tried saying that ALL restroom breaks are to be put down as personal time regardless of time spent in the restroom....even 30 seconds. Please shed some light on this for folks...thanks!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
sober, so they have tried saying that ALL restroom breaks are to be put down as personal time regardless of time spent in the restroom....even 30 seconds. Please shed some light on this for folks...thanks!!
Cold, this issue has not been brought up here, yet. I hope it never does. As of right now I do not count any restroom break (that is not during my lunch or breaks) as personal time. If this issue does come up I would be the first, of many I'm sure, that would be filing on it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Cold, this issue has not been brought up here, yet. I hope it never does. As of right now I do not count any restroom break (that is not during my lunch or breaks) as personal time. If this issue does come up I would be the first, of many I'm sure, that would be filing on it.

If Im taking 25 minutes to take a bowel movement then thats one thing, but going to the restroom at a business that Im already at and making it quick, I really dont know whats the big deal. its been brought up here before and the union laughed about it, but you'll get a new manager now and then that will try to stop it.

soberups

I dont have a problem with the idea of counting restroom breaks as personal time, although if Im already at the business and the restroom is right there we are talking like 45 seconds max for a quick pee and handwash which is an insignificant amount of time.

The issue of the original post specifically concerns drivers in rural areas who are being told they cannot break trace to locate meal or restroom facilities, and cannot idle the trucks to run the heater during lunch regardless of weather conditions.

Both rules are unreasonable. Both rules are contract violations, and both rules are not an appropriate way to treat the human beings that work for you.

This is one of those issues that is going to have to be resolved on a case-by-case basis, with both sides making an effort to be reasonable.

The company has every right to want to minimize the mileage its vehicles are driven and to expect the employees to conduct personal business on personal time. The employees have every right to utilise restroom facilities for normal bodily functions, to have the ability to wash their hands prior to eating food, and to have a suitable place to sit and eat whether it be a restraunt or just sitting in the truck with the heater running during the middle of winter.

Should the driver be allowed to drive 10 miles off route to eat when other restraunts are available on his delivery area? No. Should the driver be forced to poop and pee in the bushes, not be able to wash his hands, and sit in a freezing truck with no heat just because some dimwit manager told him he couldnt "break trace" or idle the engine? No.

There is a middle ground here where reasonable people should be able to look at a map and figure out what is and isnt fair to both sides.

soberups

I have never heard of such a rule. I doubt it would be enforceable in any case. I cannot imagine the company trying to terminate someone for taking a pee.

iowa boy

The local sort in my center was told last fall that they had to punch out to use the restroom as they felt they were abusing the "priviledge" to use the restroom. I think it lasted all of one half of a shift if memory serves me as they got ahold of the head steward in our building as he set the record straight on that. So yes it has been tried at least on the part-timers

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
As far as keeping the diad cool, how do we get the diads delivered to our centers in the first place? Refrigerator trucks? Who are they trying to bs here? Why don't we just cart all the other heat sensitive cellphones, laptops and plasma tv's along on our lunch too?

As for pee breaks, every ride along I'v ever had both I and my Sup took at least one pee break each at a del\pickup stop business. Can't change that. Been done for too long now.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The issue of the original post specifically concerns drivers in rural areas who are being told they cannot break trace to locate meal or restroom facilities, and cannot idle the trucks to run the heater during lunch regardless of weather conditions.

Both rules are unreasonable. Both rules are contract violations, and both rules are not an appropriate way to treat the human beings that work for you.

.....................................................................................
I hear ya. I run rural rtes. 1 rte in particular is all done in 1 trace and I have resigned myself to not getting lunch until 3:15. It is just the way it is on that rte. As far as peeing in the bushes, BTDT. LOL

On the other hand, we have 1 rte that is primarily intown resi. This is the rte that I have to break and go to the gas station. And it can be as many as 5 miles RT. There is absolutely no where to stop for the bathroom. This area is not one you can just stop and pee in the bushes. A 5 mile RT doesn't seem like much by itself but when you do it day in and day out it adds up.

As far as freezing MAO during the winter, ain't gonna happen. I run the truck if I need to warm up.

The only problem I have with the idea of counting breaks as personal time, "if you give them an inch they are going to try and take the mile.". So for now, I am not giving them an inch.

UPSNewbie

I hear ya. I run rural rtes. 1 rte in particular is all done in 1 trace and I have resigned myself to not getting lunch until 3:15. It is just the way it is on that rte. As far as peeing in the bushes, BTDT. LOL

On the other hand, we have 1 rte that is primarily intown resi. This is the rte that I have to break and go to the gas station. And it can be as many as 5 miles RT. There is absolutely no where to stop for the bathroom. This area is not one you can just stop and pee in the bushes. A 5 mile RT doesn't seem like much by itself but when you do it day in and day out it adds up.

As far as freezing MAO during the winter, ain't gonna happen. I run the truck if I need to warm up.

The only problem I have with the idea of counting breaks as personal time, "if you give them an inch they are going to try and take the mile.". So for now, I am not giving them an inch.

Ok... So being a guy, I know it's disconcerting when walked up on while taking a pee in the middle of nowhere. But for a lady brown, I could even imagine. :surprise:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If Im taking 25 minutes to take a bowel movement then thats one thing, but going to the restroom at a business that Im already at and making it quick, I really dont know whats the big deal. its been brought up here before and the union laughed about it, but you'll get a new manager now and then that will try to stop it.

I think you need more fiber in your diet.:wink2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I walk more now that I'm in Feeders. I used to take my lunch at a high school, and walk the track. On my present job I take my lunch at the building, so I walk the four centers. Once around is just a little over 1/4 mile, very close to the track!
I have seen your picture! Now do you walk this 1/4 mile weekly? Theres no way you can get that much done in your one hour lunch!:surprised:

soberups

Ok... So being a guy, I know it's disconcerting when walked up on while taking a pee in the middle of nowhere. But for a lady brown, I could even imagine. :surprise:
All the gals have to do is hang a jacket across the pass. side door, flip up the 2nd step that covers the batteries, and have a seat. Just dont pee on the positive terminals!