Anyone heard this one?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Manager comes up to me and says " next time, those shoes.. the meshing around the sides, next time get leather wrapping because the mesh isnt allowed. "

I thought we only needed slip proof shoes.

I guess it was something they do or say, just if you really have nothing wrong with you they still have to say something to you conerning.

Tell them to have Health & Safety come & look at them. When they get there have them give you a "clear definition" of what a work shoe is. I bet they back off. Once the company starts "specifically" defining it, it can become part of a "uniform"; which they'll eventually hav to start providing or partially provide.

Magnus

Nobody who does any actual work at UPS wears boots that weigh 3lbs a piece. It just doesn't happen. All the Drivers and Hub guys/gals that I have seen/work(ed) with wear SNEAKERS. Case closed.

As a lowly Helper, I foolishly tried following this "rule" my first Peak and what I ended up getting out of it was more pain, more trips, slips and falls and a hell of a lot of bloody spots on my feet for it. So I stopped wearing the boots and got on the ball with the sneakers, which are by far more comfortable and even safer as they aren't constantly tripping you up, or in my case causing bloody sores all day.

I've been wearing sneakers for two Peaks now and I've been directly in sight of several "higher up" Management both at the Center and on-route and NONE of them have said a single word to me about my sneakers. Not a single damn word.

But anyway, the only thing they are truly concerned about is ankle support (non-slip is BS - ANY shoe will let you fall on your @$$ if they get wet enough on metal, rubber is rubber is rubber after all)... but that's easily solved with two Ace ankle wraps. Flash those off if you get any fuzz about the sneakers and they SHOULD leave you well enough alone about it after that.

Good luck.

brownrod

I like comfy black sneakers. I buy them, not the company...

Exactly. I usually spend around 150$ on a set of extremely comfortable and light weight running shoes.

All ups does care about is ankle support. They don't want an ankle injury that might take you out of service for a couple weeks. They don't care if you retire with wore out knees due to the heavy boots you were wearing for 20 years.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Im wearing Brahmas, low tops witha steal toe. No, steward was not there.

They are non slip, mesh, and a gray color. They look great! A little hard on my feet at first, but they broke in.

I just thought they should only be non slip, nothing else. Managers and Soups have nothing better to do with their time I guess.

washington57

Nobody who does any actual work at UPS wears boots that weigh 3lbs a piece. It just doesn't happen. All the Drivers and Hub guys/gals that I have seen/work(ed) with wear SNEAKERS. Case closed.

As a lowly Helper, I foolishly tried following this "rule" my first Peak and what I ended up getting out of it was more pain, more trips, slips and falls and a hell of a lot of bloody spots on my feet for it. So I stopped wearing the boots and got on the ball with the sneakers, which are by far more comfortable and even safer as they aren't constantly tripping you up, or in my case causing bloody sores all day.

I've been wearing sneakers for two Peaks now and I've been directly in sight of several "higher up" Management both at the Center and on-route and NONE of them have said a single word to me about my sneakers. Not a single damn word.

But anyway, the only thing they are truly concerned about is ankle support (non-slip is BS - ANY shoe will let you fall on your @$$ if they get wet enough on metal, rubber is rubber is rubber after all)... but that's easily solved with two Ace ankle wraps. Flash those off if you get any fuzz about the sneakers and they SHOULD leave you well enough alone about it after that.

Good luck.

Everyone here wears heavy boots. The higher ups won't say anything. That is the part-time sup's job.

Brahma boots are pretty good and cheap.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We hear crap about it randomly but I tend to blow them off. Here is what I wear...

Nike-Air-Pegasus-27-GTX-Men-044409.jpg

The Milkman

Manager comes up to me and says " next time, those shoes.. the meshing around the sides, next time get leather wrapping because the mesh isnt allowed. "

I guess it was something they do or say, just if you really have nothing wrong with you they still have to say something to you conerning.

That time of year again...Time to start nit picking because peak is over...They have to find something to annoy you...:dissapointed:

NHDRVR

flavor of the month...

code5

Im wearing Brahmas, low tops witha steal toe. No, steward was not there.

They are non slip, mesh, and a gray color. They look great! A little hard on my feet at first, but they broke in.

I just thought they should only be non slip, nothing else. Managers and Soups have nothing better to do with their time I guess.

Its the gray color that makes them stand out, not the mesh. Dye them black or the mesh should hold in black shoe polish.

djkre8r

This is a funny topic because a couple of years back 3 of us were sent home for our shoes. They are suppose to be sturdy upper leather (which means no mesh - all leather) with a non slip sole. If you are a driver, they want black or brown polish able leather. We were told that if we didn't have ankle support we would be sent home. At the time I wore Sketcher's Work Shoes. The next morning on preload I showed up with my brightest white basketball shoes on. When called into the office I said "they are all leather, non slip soles, and ankle support". We were still sent home. We filed for harassment and supervisors working (because they had nobody to cover for us). We won and got paid GOOD to go home.

Now that I cover drive, I wear Nike Goadomes. The best shoe I have ever bought. They last and feel great! They feel so good I wear them even when I am not at work. Oh, and I write them off on taxes!
nike-air-goadome-boot.jpg
nike-air-goadome-boot.jpg

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
This is a funny topic because a couple of years back 3 of us were sent home for our shoes. They are suppose to be sturdy upper leather (which means no mesh - all leather) with a non slip sole. If you are a driver, they want black or brown polish able leather. We were told that if we didn't have ankle support we would be sent home. At the time I wore Sketcher's Work Shoes. The next morning on preload I showed up with my brightest white basketball shoes on. When called into the office I said "they are all leather, non slip soles, and ankle support". We were still sent home. We filed for harassment and supervisors working (because they had nobody to cover for us). We won and got paid GOOD to go home.

Now that I cover drive, I wear Nike Goadomes. The best shoe I have ever bought. They last and feel great! They feel so good I wear them even when I am not at work. Oh, and I write them off on taxes!
View attachment 4824

Those sound nice, might try them so time... or when I get told to go home as well.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We are told to wear specific type shoes for OUR OWN GOOD !! Its for our protection. They are not blowing smoke up your ass for anything other than follow the Company policy..a 75lb package on your foot from 3 foot high belt would change your mind quick !!