Anyone here have LASIK?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Last time I was at the eye doctor he told me that I had one eye that was now far sighted and one near sighted. He said I could certainly do an enhancement to my LASIK. But he said my other choice was that as me and all my friends get older they will need reading glasses. But he said that my eyes would basically switch places and the near sighted one would become far sighted and vice versa and my best bet was to leave them be. I said, hey man as long as I can pass a DOT physical, that's all I care about.
Interesting.

My far vision is 1000% better than before I had lasik, but that was 15 years ago. I'm now dealing with some of that getting older reading glasses vision. I talked to an old friend last night who had had a second lasik procedure to correct his reading vision. He was happy with it.

I haven't gotten seriously annoyed enough with reading glasses to schedule a lasik correction consultation, but I am thinking about it. Letting it be makes sense too. There are always some risks involved with this procedure.

UPS4Life

Worst experience of my life. I've never talked to anyone whose had a bad experience and my dr said I was by far the worst patient he's had. I showed up on time sat for 3 hours in the waiting room then when they thought I was ready gave me my pills I went to the bath room then got on the bed. I had the laser it wasn't the blade but both eyes lost suction and I felt everything how I didn't break the nurses hand is beyond me. Once the cornea was cut went to another room and one eye went ok I guess but the other I couldn't find the green light and he's yelling at me to find the light and I'm yelling back I can't find it.

Once it was all over it my eye looked like It got injected with red dye the whole white was red. After that my eyes turned out to have 20/15 vision and haven't had a problem since. My eyes are awesome. As far as night time don't have any issues except the :censored2:s who drive with their high beams on. Would I do it again I highly doubt it just because of my experience so I pray my eyes don't go bad.

Edit: also when it was time to start it was up against their lunch schedule so I felt like I was an inconvenience.

rod

Retired 22 years
Worst experience of my life. I've never talked to anyone whose had a bad experience and my dr said I was by far the worst patient he's had. I showed up on time sat for 3 hours in the waiting room then when they thought I was ready gave me my pills I went to the bath room then got on the bed. I had the laser it wasn't the blade but both eyes lost suction and I felt everything how I didn't break the nurses hand is beyond me. Once the cornea was cut went to another room and one eye went ok I guess but the other I couldn't find the green light and he's yelling at me to find the light and I'm yelling back I can't find it.

Once it was all over it my eye looked like It got injected with red dye the whole white was red. After that my eyes turned out to have 20/15 vision and haven't had a problem since. My eyes are awesome. As far as night time don't have any issues except the :censored2:s who drive with their high beams on. Would I do it again I highly doubt it just because of my experience so I pray my eyes don't go bad.

Edit: also when it was time to start it was up against their lunch schedule so I felt like I was an inconvenience.

Where did you have it done? Joe's Taco Stand and Lasik Surgery Center?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

Weird. I never had any pills or anesthesia. No eye suctions. Just drops in my eyes. Weird that you needed so much more surgery prep. No finding colored lights, just try to hold my eyes still. Seems like you had a different procedure.

UPS4Life

No it's actually a lasik surgery center with great reviews and have been in business for a very long time. As far as the suction that's how my cornea was removed it was like a giant suction cup that had a gritty solution on and it got suctioned to my eye ball then the laser went around it but as it was doing it I could feel where the laser was.

UPS4Life

I can't even put eye drops in my eyes, so I am trying to figure out how I would ever have lasik done
I'm the same way have to put the drops in the corner of my eye n let it seep in. Don't let my bad experience turn you away from it. Most places do free consultations to see if your eyes qualify for lasik and walk you through everything. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time that nothing was going right. I don't know if it makes a difference but when I get a cavity filled they have to use 3x the normal amount to numb my mouth or I can't stand it. Like I said before I'm the only person I know whose had a bad experience. It never hurts to check it out and see if it's for you or not.

Retiree

Hadn't had lasik but have had both corneas transplanted and was able to get rid of glasses except for reading. I had worn glasses since eight grade.

speshialk

I had lasik 2 years ago and it was the best decision of my life. It's about 1 minute of torture, I was seeing better than 20/20 after a few hours.

twoweeled

I had lasik 2 years ago and it was the best decision of my life. It's about 1 minute of torture, I was seeing better than 20/20 after a few hours.
How bad was your eyesight before?
Astigmatism?

My eye guy told me it's a bad idea. I forget why. But of course I wonder if he's just trying to keep me as a life long customer.

speshialk

I think my contact prescription was -3.5 I had a very slight Astigmatism in one eye.

One week while off work, I went to Memorial Eye Institute on a whim to see what it would cost and if I was a candidate. I got the procedure done that week. I went to Memorial Eye because the guy who does the procedure has done several pro athletes. If they can trust him with their eyes, I figured I was safe. I'm right around 20/15 vision now.

twoweeled

I think my contact prescription was -3.5 I had a very slight Astigmatism in one eye.

One week while off work, I went to Memorial Eye Institute on a whim to see what it would cost and if I was a candidate. I got the procedure done that week. I went to Memorial Eye because the guy who does the procedure has done several pro athletes. If they can trust him with their eyes, I figured I was safe. I'm right around 20/15 vision now.

My wife and I were just talking about this today. I'm undecided.
I appreciate the information. Thanks a lot.
But if I go blind, let me be on your conscious! LOL

speshialk

My wife and I were just talking about this today. I'm undecided.
I appreciate the information. Thanks a lot.
But if I go blind, let me be on your conscious! LOL

The actual surgery is all done by a computer. You literally stare at a green dot and a laser spins in a circle shooting your eyes. I'm sure it's possible to go blind, but it seems very unlikely.