Anyone know what to expect regarding mgmt raises?

randomUPSISer

A Raise for what,? all the new technology . They are making your job obsolete. your only there in case we go on strike. I hope they raise you out the door.:surprised:

Clearly you dont know much about UPS outside of operations. Not all of IT is being outsourced. It has also failed miserably in several areas. The plan was never to outsource ALL of IT. No company on earth has succeeded at that and there are clear reasons why that I wont go into here.

That being said, I would LOVE for you all to go on strike and UPS tell us to go out there. With all the management people angry at the company I suspect they would find alot of people wouldnt show up.

pretzel_man

The system doesn't take into account that the poorest performer in one group could be better than the best performer in another group. We have a dept manager who's widely recognized as a low performer. Our QPRs are almost completely subjective with little relationship to the work that we actually do. Until this year when he was forced to, our Dept Manager never even had a QPR himself. So we have a low performer rating the performance of everyone in the group. I can tell you for a fact it doesn't work well. The perfect world where P-man works is a long way from where my work group is. Probably all the way at the other end of the Yellow Brick Road.

I assume you are a management person, just like me?? The world I live in is created by people.

My boss accepts suggestions from me. I accept suggestions from my people.

What are you doing as a management person to improve things in this area. No one told me to hold quarterly people meetings and align raises to fit with performance. My people and I did this ourselves.

P-Man

pretzel_man

did you consider it somewhat chancy to discuss their possibly getting a lesser pay raise during a time period when the pay increases were eliminated and you really had not idea if or when they would be restored?

Tie,

I felt that as long as I was honest, the risks are reduced. When we did the budgets last August / September, we were told to budget pay increases. I told my people that, but to not count on it. I told them that the year before, we budgeted it and then lost them.

I kept everyone informed throughout.

When raises were not given last year, there was no issue in my group. They understood (or at least said they did). This year, I explained the 2.5% and how it was determined who got what. So far, no rumblings of any discontent.

The best we can do is be honest, communicate, and treat management people as company owners. I expect them to act that way so that is how they are treated. They get the good with the bad.

P-Man

constructively dissatisfi

I assume you are a management person, just like me?? The world I live in is created by people.

My boss accepts suggestions from me. I accept suggestions from my people.

What are you doing as a management person to improve things in this area. No one told me to hold quarterly people meetings and align raises to fit with performance. My people and I did this ourselves.

P-Man

If your boss didn't give you the authority to determine how raises were given how would that work out for you? We can make suggestions, do what we think should be done, etc. until the cows come home. All to no avail. It's been tried, and tried again.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
The system doesn't take into account that the poorest performer in one group could be better than the best performer in another group. We have a dept manager who's widely recognized as a low performer. Our QPRs are almost completely subjective with little relationship to the work that we actually do. Until this year when he was forced to, our Dept Manager never even had a QPR himself. So we have a low performer rating the performance of everyone in the group. I can tell you for a fact it doesn't work well. The perfect world where P-man works is a long way from where my work group is. Probably all the way at the other end of the Yellow Brick Road.

Agree P-man's perfect world doesn't work AT ALL in my group. I wish my manager had the time to sit and discuss our performance and career path quarterly. He/she is much too busy putting out the daily fires, trying to increase sales leads, dealing with the everyday nonsense, on and on and on.... Just does not happen in the heart and soul of UPS...

beentheredonethat

He knows what the QPR says, and theoretically that's all he would need. Unfortuanatly, the QPR is mostly worthless since its required to fit into a bell curve.

Crappy input = crappy output. The story of UPS :wink2:

Although I'll agree that there are exceptions out there. I think of the QPR fitting into a bell curve like the time study guidelines. It's right roughly 95% of the time for 95% of the routes etc. Does it work for every mgmt group? No.. you could have one group where everyone is a stellar employee, and another group where everyone is not a good employee. But I think for the majority, each group does represent a bell curve or something similar to one. The bigger the group the more accurate the bell curve idea is. if you are talking about one ctr with 4 FT supvs then that's a little tough to say one is real good, two are avg, and one is below. But if you take it to a div mgr pkg group with closer to 30 FT supvs then that is a bit more fair. When I had people working for me and I was in charge of their raises (non mgmt hourlies - this was about 6 years ago). I gave raises based on an allotment my mgr gave me. I was given x dollars\hr for raises and I divied it up. (I had to take into acct midpoints etc). But a lot was I gave very little to my poor performers and a decent amount to my good performers. So it's not something totally new. But not all mgmt people did it before. Now it's practically forced on our bosses. Some did a good job and gave our raises based on our job skills, our merit, our success aka our qpr scores. Others were pretty much 2.5% across the board. Since I try hard, study and keep my knowledge base ahead of others. I was in the high performace group and got a 3.5% raise. Not huge.. but compared to today's standards it was a very good raise. I didn't ask others in my dept. But knowing I got 3.5, I knew others had to get less. So the folks who said I know for a fact they didn't give raises based on the qpr scales and we all got 2.5%, that was due to your mgmt team and I think they did a poor job based on your statements.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Although I'll agree that there are exceptions out there. I think of the QPR fitting into a bell curve like the time study guidelines. It's right roughly 95% of the time for 95% of the routes etc. Does it work for every mgmt group? No.. you could have one group where everyone is a stellar employee, and another group where everyone is not a good employee. But I think for the majority, each group does represent a bell curve or something similar to one. The bigger the group the more accurate the bell curve idea is. if you are talking about one ctr with 4 FT supvs then that's a little tough to say one is real good, two are avg, and one is below. But if you take it to a div mgr pkg group with closer to 30 FT supvs then that is a bit more fair. When I had people working for me and I was in charge of their raises (non mgmt hourlies - this was about 6 years ago). I gave raises based on an allotment my mgr gave me. I was given x dollars\hr for raises and I divied it up. (I had to take into acct midpoints etc). But a lot was I gave very little to my poor performers and a decent amount to my good performers. So it's not something totally new. But not all mgmt people did it before. Now it's practically forced on our bosses. Some did a good job and gave our raises based on our job skills, our merit, our success aka our qpr scores. Others were pretty much 2.5% across the board. Since I try hard, study and keep my knowledge base ahead of others. I was in the high performace group and got a 3.5% raise. Not huge.. but compared to today's standards it was a very good raise. I didn't ask others in my dept. But knowing I got 3.5, I knew others had to get less. So the folks who said I know for a fact they didn't give raises based on the qpr scales and we all got 2.5%, that was due to your mgmt team and I think they did a poor job based on your statements.

Agree - did a bad job.... its like they want to go the easy route - give equally - but to those who do outperform it is not fair. it makes you start to think - I can do just the right amount of work to get by - will still get the same raise - why break my back

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Are you sure you're not union?:wink2:[/QUOTe

Dont't get nor appreciate your sarcasm
If your union your raise is given out equally - no discrimination. All get the same raise based on your teamsters contract

If your management your raise is/should be based on MERIT. I am simply saying - there were no merit based raises - $$$ was distributed equally amongst all.
If you did read more of what I posted, I'm not happy the way raises were distributed - but I in the end I am thankful I still have a job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you sure you're not union?:wink2:[/QUOTe

Dont't get nor appreciate your sarcasm
If your union your raise is given out equally - no discrimination. All get the same raise based on your teamsters contract

If your management your raise is/should be based on MERIT. I am simply saying - there were no merit based raises - $$$ was distributed equally amongst all.
If you did read more of what I posted, I'm not happy the way raises were distributed - but I in the end I am thankful I still have a job.

The point I was trying to make and that you obviously did not get is that unions give raises to everyone whether deserved or not. I think raises should be given, or withheld, to everyone based on merit and that is one of my issues of working in a union job.

I am so tired of hearing "I am thankful to have a job".

I could also care less if you care for my sarcasm or not as there was no sarcasm intended. I was simply trying to equate your situation to the way that unions handle pay raises.