Anyone regret going full time?

UPSER110

Does anyone regret going full time? I have really been deciding what I want to do I am getting very close to going full time, but I dont know for sure if it what I want to do right now.

-My wife is a RN and makes really good money and only works 3 days a week.
-I am almost the top air driver in my building, and I am the top reg-temp (cover driver) since the last 2 guys went full time. So I can still make decent money
-I own a small lawn care company so I make a little extra cash during the spring-fall.

I worry where the company will be down the road with all the older guys saying how bad it is now.
I dont care about the OT right now because we dont have any kids, but eventually I will want to be there to see them grow up.
Only working 1 job, and making a good bit more money is a pro.

iruhnman630

If at all possible, don't do it.

I regret many decisions which put me in a position where I ended up going full time, but don't regret doing it when I did.

You can never go back to part time, yet waiting longer will put you further down the seniority list when you do go.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm positive that future contracts aren't going to be any kinder to employees starting a new job or entering a new classification. If you wait and do it in the future, you're going to regret waiting...if your goal is to have one job in the future.

brett636

Its the old time versus money debate. When my only job was being a part-time worker at UPS I loved all the free time to do what I pleased, but I didn't like the small paychecks that limited what I could do in that free time. Since going fulltime combo and then feeders I liked the larger paychecks, but wanted my free time back that I had as a part-timer. Do I regret going fulltime? Not really because I went fulltime at a young age (24) so that allows me to retire with a fulltime pension at a relatively young age if the rules remain the same. Admittedly if I were given the option of going back part-time I wouldn't take it because I've gotten so used to the larger paychecks. I know of a few guys who were part-time for the better part of the last 20 years, but went fulltime recently and now pushed their possible retirement dates ahead by atleast another 20 years. How long have you been parttime, and would this be something you haven't considered?

In your situation you should talk it over with your wife and decide if the extra money is really necessary for your situation. It sounds like you are not hurting for money or in desperate need for that promotion to fulltime to fullfill a goal in your life. The only thing I would offer up is if your wife gets pregnant and has to take some time off work could you two still get by while she recovers along with the expenses of the new baby? Are you happy with your current living situation or do you want to move up? How much value do you put into being able to have the majority of the day off while still earning a respectable per hour wage? The part time pension doesn't pay out nearly what the fulltime pension does so do you think you have saved enough to make this a moot point? These and probably a few other details should be considered by the both of you before you make the jump. Going fulltime is not for everyone or every situation, but the money is usually the draw and not many of us who are fulltime get the luxury of considering the other consequences of pursuing the larger paycheck. Goodluck on your decision!

stink219

I made 90k last year. I have friends with masters degrees that make less. It's all about how you need your life style to be. Working late during the week automatically saves me some money. If I worked less I'd spend more. The stress goes with the cash though. Maybe this is a conversation for you and your lady to decide.

UPSER110

Its the old time versus money debate. When my only job was being a part-time worker at UPS I loved all the free time to do what I pleased, but I didn't like the small paychecks that limited what I could do in that free time. Since going fulltime combo and then feeders I liked the larger paychecks, but wanted my free time back that I had as a part-timer. Do I regret going fulltime? Not really because I went fulltime at a young age (24) so that allows me to retire with a fulltime pension at a relatively young age if the rules remain the same. Admittedly if I were given the option of going back part-time I wouldn't take it because I've gotten so used to the larger paychecks. I know of a few guys who were part-time for the better part of the last 20 years, but went fulltime recently and now pushed their possible retirement dates ahead by atleast another 20 years. How long have you been parttime, and would this be something you haven't considered?

In your situation you should talk it over with your wife and decide if the extra money is really necessary for your situation. It sounds like you are not hurting for money or in desperate need for that promotion to fulltime to fullfill a goal in your life. The only thing I would offer up is if your wife gets pregnant and has to take some time off work could you two still get by while she recovers along with the expenses of the new baby? Are you happy with your current living situation or do you want to move up? How much value do you put into being able to have the majority of the day off while still earning a respectable per hour wage? The part time pension doesn't pay out nearly what the fulltime pension does so do you think you have saved enough to make this a moot point? These and probably a few other details should be considered by the both of you before you make the jump. Going fulltime is not for everyone or every situation, but the money is usually the draw and not many of us who are fulltime get the luxury of considering the other consequences of pursuing the larger paycheck. Goodluck on your decision!

you bring up all good points, many which we have discussed.. I'm 27. started at UPS in summer of 08 worked for a year, and left when I graduated college (thinking I could actually use my degree and it would be easy to find a job). Then came back in 09 for peak and got called back the 1st week of Jan 10.

Most likely I will go full time, the money is a pretty big factor in the deciding. I really couldn't imagine doing anything else.

DSM515

No regrets here. I knew what i was getting into the hours have always been long and there are many things I do not like about the company but the way I look at it is I work Monday thru Friday its my JOB. I'm a grown man and that's what I'm supposed to do,work and provide for my family the best I can. Sure I have missed many school functions been late for holidays etc, etc, etc, but my family has always been taken care of and understand its part of life. No one can ever say a UPS guy is lazy and that's a good feeling. Always remember it's just a job.

No regrets here. I knew what i was getting into the hours have always been long and there are many things I do not like about the company but the way I look at it is I work Monday thru Friday its my JOB. I'm a grown man and that's what I'm supposed to do,work and provide for my family the best I can. Sure I have missed many school functions been late for holidays etc, etc, etc, but my family has always been taken care of and understand its part of life. No one can ever say a UPS guy is lazy and that's a good feeling. Always remember it's just a job.
We are all just money whores and just a number...thats all!

InsideUPS

Does anyone regret going full time? I have really been deciding what I want to do I am getting very close to going full time, but I dont know for sure if it what I want to do right now.

-My wife is a RN and makes really good money and only works 3 days a week.
-I am almost the top air driver in my building, and I am the top reg-temp (cover driver) since the last 2 guys went full time. So I can still make decent money
-I own a small lawn care company so I make a little extra cash during the spring-fall.

I worry where the company will be down the road with all the older guys saying how bad it is now.
I dont care about the OT right now because we dont have any kids, but eventually I will want to be there to see them grow up.
Only working 1 job, and making a good bit more money is a pro.

There is no correct answer to your question. ONLY YOU can answer what makes you happy. As you can see, some drivers are happy.....others are not so happy. As for me.....remaining part-time was the correct choice.....as I was given plenty of time to build my own successful business while providing my family and myself full time benefits with a 35 year part-time pension of $1925/month. My wife also happens to be an RN working part-time.

As a matter of curiosity, what is your degree in? Do you believe that you could build your lawn care business?

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
If I ever get the opportunity to be full time at UPS there is no way I'd regret it no matter how tough it is. The money is too good to pass up. This is my one shot to be able to own a nice home, have a nice car and have extra cash so my family can live in comfort. I know the wait will be long but if I get that shot to be full time it'll be life changing. Especially in this economy. I tried going to school, I can't do it. If I don't get full time here, if I make 35k a year on average the rest of my life I'll probably have to accept that. I suspect that story would hold true for most people on here. I don't want that.

InsideUPS

If I ever get the opportunity to be full time at UPS there is no way I'd regret it no matter how tough it is. The money is too good to pass up. This is my one shot to be able to own a nice home, have a nice car and have extra cash so my family can live in comfort. I know the wait will be long but if I get that shot to be full time it'll be life changing. Especially in this economy. I tried going to school, I can't do it. If I don't get full time here, if I make 35k a year on average the rest of my life I'll probably have to accept that. I suspect that story would hold true for most people on here. I don't want that.

You sound like a positive person and one that will make it in life regardless of what you do. Best of luck in your endeavors... Go Bearcats!!!...Go TarHeels!!!

UPS Preloader

There is no correct answer to your question. ONLY YOU can answer what makes you happy. As you can see, some drivers are happy.....others are not so happy. As for me.....remaining part-time was the correct choice.....as I was given plenty of time to build my own successful business while providing my family and myself full time benefits with a 35 year part-time pension of $1925/month. My wife also happens to be an RN working part-time.

As a matter of curiosity, what is your degree in? Do you believe that you could build your lawn care business?

Nice answer. Full time is a great gig, but it's not meant for all of us. I prefer to stay PT. I am self empoyed and doing fairly well. I'll take the paycheck, but the only reason I'm still here is the bennies! (I have a long way to go to catch up with you pension wise, but I'll get there!)

UPSER110

I have a bachelors degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance. I could def. grow my business, the only problem is that I am a perfectionist and it would be hard to have employee(s) that I could count on. So I would much rather be solo, which limits me to becoming too big.

What do you guys do that are self employed?

FAVREFAN

you bring up all good points, many which we have discussed.. I'm 27. started at UPS in summer of 08 worked for a year, and left when I graduated college (thinking I could actually use my degree and it would be easy to find a job). Then came back in 09 for peak and got called back the 1st week of Jan 10.

Most likely I will go full time, the money is a pretty big factor in the deciding. I really couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Once you're in, you're in. Try to put that degree to use right now. Don't give up on it, otherwise you just wasted four years of your life and the money. You may regret not using that degree for the rest of your life. You don't want to be second guessing yourself 10-15 years from now. Best of luck guy either way.

FAVREFAN

Great for you man. I've been a two job guy for 16 of the last 17 years. Been tough, but financially rewarding. Not my own business though. Over 20 PT in at UPS. Shooting for the 35 and out like you. Congrats man, you made it!

UPSER110

Once you're in, you're in. Try to put that degree to use right now. Don't give up on it, otherwise you just wasted four years of your life and the money. You may regret not using that degree for the rest of your life. You don't want to be second guessing yourself 10-15 years from now. Best of luck guy either way.

There are literally no jobs in my degree, and if by chance I would find one they dont pay what a driver would pay. Plus I wouldn't enjoy being in an office environment, I would much rather work at ups, cover drive, and mow grass.

ibleedbrown

nowadays dont expect to get a high paying job straight out of college, u will have to take whatever job comes along in your field and work your way to more experience and higher paying opportunities. driving is a very physical and demanding job. half the guys i know are miserable but the paycheck and benefits make up for it. its a tough choice for you an easy one for me, since i do not have a college degree, biting the bullet and becoming a driver is my best option at this point.