Anyone REGRET going to feeders?

639OldTimer

It is. I'm Metro D.C. List is up until Monday.

I worked in the Burtonsville Feeder Dept. for many years. I've since retired. The ONLY regret I had was not doing it sooner! You might want to contact the B/A at Local 639 who handles the feeder department. He was also a feeder driver and knows the job and the expectations real well. He has sponsored a feeder orientation seminar at Local 639 in the past and it is very informative. I've recently talked to him and he says the feeder department is experiencing a lot of retirements, 20 last year alone, and are having a hard time getting drivers. This could be a great opportunity for you if you have 22 full time years as you most likely will not be on the Q list very long before a bid feeder job opens up. Once you get feeder seniority, you will be able to bid on start times/furthest destination twice a year (April & October). You really don't have anything to lose as the worst that could happen is that you don't pass the class which would only make you ineligible to sign up again for a year. Call the B/A who handles the feeder department at Local 639. He's a good B/A and a straight shooter. He won't tell you wrong!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

So, my journey is set to begin Monday, 7am. I am told the first day is mainly paperwork, but the 2nd day will feature a lot of driving. How does that work, exactly? Will I be put behind the wheel that 2nd day, or will the trainer be doing most of the driving?

On a side note, I just realized I am going to miss one of the easiest days of the year in package: Good Friday. Most of my pickups are closed (which also means no deliveries to them, of course). I may get 140-150 stops that day (I am normally around 110), but it doesn't matter, and I end up with a 2 hr lunch. For a moment, a brief moment, I was saddened because I would miss that day....and then I remembered WHY I was missing that day! Provided it doesn't rain or snow, it will probably be easier in feeders that day. I'll let ya'll know. ..

Last edited:

Inthegame

So, my journey is set to begin Monday, 7am. I am told the first day is mainly paperwork, but the 2nd day will feature a lot of driving. How does that work, exactly? Will I be put behind the wheel that 2nd day, or will the trainer be doing most of the driving?

On a side note, I just realized I am going to miss one of the easiest days of the year in package: Good Friday. Most of my pickups are closed (which also means no deliveries to them, of course). I may get 140-150 stops that day (I am normally around 110), but it doesn't matter, and I end up with a 2 hr lunch. For a moment, a brief moment, I was saddened because I would miss that day....and I remembered WHY I was missing that day! Provided it doesn't rain or snow, it will probably be easier in feeders that day. I'll let ya'll know. ..
Every day in Feeders is Good Friday, until next winter...

pretender

On a side note, I just realized I am going to miss one of the easiest days of the year in package: Good Friday. Most of my pickups are closed (which also means no deliveries to them, of course). I may get 140-150 stops that day (I am normally around 110), but it doesn't matter, and I end up with a 2 hr lunch. For a moment, a brief moment, I was saddened because I would miss that day....and then I remembered WHY I was missing that day! Provided it doesn't rain or snow, it will probably be easier in feeders that day. I'll let ya'll know. ..
I don't know how they do it these days, but depending the size of your yard, you will probably be driving around in circles on property. You are getting trained at the perfect time, because that will give you a good six months of experience before winter. Also, with any new job, but especially in feeders-The first few weeks you may wonder what you got yourself into. However, after a while, things will fall in place...