Anyone REGRET going to feeders?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The full court press is indeed on in feeders. But it comes in cycles. I haven't been hassled since last summer. My times aren't good, but with these allowances, who cares. I refuse to chase ghosts, and I refuse to work unsafe. I do everything by the book, and any problem I have with my equipment goes straight back to the shop. NO EXCEPTIONS. We don't get bugged about our safety checks, but we are consistent. With going the restroom, and checking the equipment, we keep it between 6 to 9 minutes. I follow the methods and DOT regulations, and assume I'm being watched. I don't stand around doing nothing, I always have a purpose and am on time. My on-property is bad, but only because the allowance is asinine.

Yes, feeders is becoming more and more like package car, in terms of harassment and heavy-handed sups. And it sure doesn't help that more and more package car drivers are coming back here with the dumbassed go-go mentality. But if you concentrate on working safe, being accident free and stand up for yourself, feeders is still far, far superior to package car.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
There are only two types who will regret it. One who absolutely can not live with the hours until they get better bids and the one who is not comfortable with the equipment no matter how much they try.

Or those in Locals where they will go to the bottom of the seniority list for picking vacations (and place that privilege high on their personal priority list).

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
You are describing the old feeders. They are now in the process of making feeders JUST LIKE PACKAGE CAR. IE has taken over feeders:wink2: and the harassment is starting.

From what I understand feeders use to feel like a different company. From what I hear at my large hub feeders is starting to kind of suck.

Alot of package guys are not going to feeders now because of the new IE stuff going on.

All of those points I listed still ring true for us. Sure, there is some flack from the new FDT system but if you aren't screwing around you won't have any issues.

Pickles

Does anyone ever worry for their life? I actually think about that often while driving. One mistake and you may not be around anymore.

Does anyone ever worry for their life? I actually think about that often while driving. One mistake and you may not be around anymore.

See #1 on my list.

Your first priority, whether you still have a job at the end of the day or not, is to make it home in one piece. I might feel bad but if a civilian friend's up and runs into me I'm going to make sure I come out on top.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

We had a layover guy nearly creamed while he was walking to dinner or somewhere on his layover time. He was in the hospital for a few months. I guess when your number is up it's up.

Logb17

I signed up for feeders. Im more scared to kill someone else then myself. Im confident with cages and p12s, but am very nervous never driving a tractor before. Im assuming most feeder drivers haven't before going feeder. Scared to not no where im going and get stuck on some little street somewhere

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
When it's time for me to go to feeder I'll make the call with zero hesitation. I'm going to be a little worried at first like everyone I imagine. Only time behind the wheel will lessen that. You should ALWAYS be a little scared though. It's when you're comfortable that shyte magically hits the fan and you make a mistake. Package car has one thing right and it applies to all parts of UPS...expect the unexpected.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Trust me, unless you've driven an 18 wheeler before, being nervous is completely natural. DO NOT let that stop you from doing it. Remember when you went to package car and had to do the driving test? You were nervous then. You're nervous now. You WILL get over it. It's like anything else. You get used to it. Always respect the equipment and the weight. Feeder school doesn't even come close to preparing you for what the road and the equipment has in store for you. That's why you have older, more experienced drivers to help. Lean, and lean hard on them. Where I come from, those drivers were more than helpful.

Here is what I remembered about those early days: driving on the road isn't as bad as you are worried about. Rely on the five seeing habits. Keep that following distance long. Turn wide, wide, wide. And always, ALWAYS, triple check the other lanes when you merge. Live in your mirrors. That's your main danger area if you keep the front safe. When you hook up doubles, you'll worry like hell that you don't have everything hooked right, because they spend so little time during feeder school on hooking up. But remember, almost without exception, you'll know right away if the hookup isn't right. If you hook up the hoses wrong, or don't turn on the air the right way, the rig just won't move or move right.

When I went to feeders, I went with quite a bit of seniority. So when I got back here, I just got in under the annual bid. So I did my five day ride, one week in the yard spotting, then bid, and got, a good road job. So I was kind of all on my own. I had a lot of help from the senior drivers, but I always seemed to hook up on my own. I took quite a while before I felt comfortable. One of my first nights hooking up on my own, I got hooked up, started to take off, but something just didn't feel right. I drove almost to the gate before I realized the tires on my back box were skidding across the yard. I left some pretty cool tracks across the yard. But what I did wrong was I didn't turn on the air to the back box.

If you don't have much seniority, you'll learn backing in the yard. And if you don't feel comfortable, stay in the yard. You'll learn more about the equipment there than you would on the road. It took me more than a year to really get comfortable to back, because I spent a year on one run where I never did much backing.

If you drop the package car mentality, and just take your time, you'll be fine. The sups won't bug you for about six months, but then they'll start their usual nanny state tactics. Ignore them, tell them you are working safe, and start making money, Fred.

pretender

Trust me, unless you've driven an 18 wheeler before, being nervous is completely natural. DO NOT let that stop you from doing it. Remember when you went to package car and had to do the driving test? You were nervous then. You're nervous now. You WILL get over it. It's like anything else. You get used to it. Always respect the equipment and the weight. Feeder school doesn't even come close to preparing you for what the road and the equipment has in store for you. That's why you have older, more experienced drivers to help. Lean, and lean hard on them. Where I come from, those drivers were more than helpful.

Here is what I remembered about those early days: driving on the road isn't as bad as you are worried about. Rely on the five seeing habits. Keep that following distance long. Turn wide, wide, wide. And always, ALWAYS, triple check the other lanes when you merge. Live in your mirrors. That's your main danger area if you keep the front safe. When you hook up doubles, you'll worry like hell that you don't have everything hooked right, because they spend so little time during feeder school on hooking up. But remember, almost without exception, you'll know right away if the hookup isn't right. If you hook up the hoses wrong, or don't turn on the air the right way, the rig just won't move or move right.

When I went to feeders, I went with quite a bit of seniority. So when I got back here, I just got in under the annual bid. So I did my five day ride, one week in the yard spotting, then bid, and got, a good road job. So I was kind of all on my own. I had a lot of help from the senior drivers, but I always seemed to hook up on my own. I took quite a while before I felt comfortable. One of my first nights hooking up on my own, I got hooked up, started to take off, but something just didn't feel right. I drove almost to the gate before I realized the tires on my back box were skidding across the yard. I left some pretty cool tracks across the yard. But what I did wrong was I didn't turn on the air to the back box.

If you don't have much seniority, you'll learn backing in the yard. And if you don't feel comfortable, stay in the yard. You'll learn more about the equipment there than you would on the road. It took me more than a year to really get comfortable to back, because I spent a year on one run where I never did much backing.

If you drop the package car mentality, and just take your time, you'll be fine. The sups won't bug you for about six months, but then they'll start their usual nanny state tactics. Ignore them, tell them you are working safe, and start making money, Fred.

I agree the best thing a new trainee can do, is to try and work in the yard as much as possible for at least a month or so.

QKRSTKR

It definitely is different. The only thing a package car and tractor have in common is the color of the paint. The way I look at it, everyone had to start somewhere. When I took my road test with the state I was nervous as heck. Did my first solo trip this past Friday morning. It was good, I knew where I was going which helped, but I had to wipe my palms off like a 100 times there and back they were so sweaty lol. Like dracula said. Leave lots of space in front. I never did the speed limit, stayed just under. Even on interstate, when a curve comes up slow down, that weight will push you. Feels crappy as heck to.

I was slow getting off property but I checked everything 3 times. Even checking that much I still deep down said to myself as I pulled out of hub, please stay together. Get your state cdl booklet and study it like crazy. Like Dracula said about dragging rear trailer, you check valves at rear trailer to make sure you have air at rear of back trailer. Don't get ahead of yourself. One thing when I went over i didn't realize is how much there is to feeders. It's a lot and a bit overwhelming at first. When I unhooked my set at ta when I went to pull away and pull dolly from back trailer it wouldn't move, I laughed cause I knew right away I didn't drain air off dolly, brakes were locked. But all it cost me was a walk back there again. There's also a button you can use to release brakes, but if I'm done with a dolly I drain air out of tank. Stuff like that happens but I know ill get better with experience.

There will be a time in your training where you may want to quit, just stick with it. We had a bunch of guys from package quit on their 3rd day. The hours will be different to. I know for sure when I bid, I'll be working nights cause of my seniority. But I'm ok with that. Just make sure you are if that's your case.

Good luck.

over9five

Staff member
We had a bunch of guys from package quit on their 3rd day.

There is no problem with this. Tractor trailers is a whole lot more to deal with than a package car. Some guys know right away that it's not for them. Man, if you can tell it will be a problem for you (operating the equipment, working nights, etc) - DON'T FEEL BAD IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY IN PACKAGE. Better to stay where you're comfortable than get yourself or others hurt.

Great post by the way, Qkrstkr!

S

serenity now

There is no problem with this. Tractor trailers is a whole lot more to deal with than a package car. Some guys know right away that it's not for them. Man, if you can tell it will be a problem for you (operating the equipment, working nights, etc) - DON'T FEEL BAD IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY IN PACKAGE. Better to stay where you're comfortable than get yourself or others hurt.

always play to your strengths
guess that's why i'm a great lover

S

serenity now

works both ways: we have had several that washed out before qualifying in pkg. that later moved to feeders and did fine * some people just can't cope with the (time management) pressure