Anyone REGRET going to feeders?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Other than folks that never got comfortable, I don't see how anyone could ever regret going to feeders. I, being management, have more great friends in this company that are feeder drivers than any other department...and this includes management. That says a lot on it's own. From my exposure to feeder drivers....they are in much better moods, friendlier, complain less, and are much easier to work with than most.

I understand this reflects poorly on the state of the package division and how management has handled things overall, but I applaud feeder drivers...Lots of good people there. Maybe they were just as disgruntled as the next guy when they were driving PC's, but I can't tell now.

From my perspective, if you can go feeders, you would be nuts to sell yourself short and not give your best try.

99% of the time they were more disgruntled than most. Ask and you will hear some amazing but true stories!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Who has put the air to the rear box and had the set move? (tractor brake not set & hand valve not set). That killed a driver at the Fedex Ground facility here a few years ago. I've seen it a few times in the yard.

bluehdmc

I was shifting once, saw a driver start to crank up his landing gear and the tractor and trailer started rolling away. I guess he hadn't pulled the parking brake and applied the trailer brakes, just released them. He was ran for the tractor door and stopped it before he went to far.
I've dropped a couple of boxes, generally after you've spent 5min or so cranking them up on low gear enough to get back under a trailer you won't do it again for a while.

Anyone ever break a tractor back window by forgetting to unhook the air lines?

We used to have a CPU that you dropped a hydraulic trailer, and then lowered the trailer so it was level. It was a real steep ramp at the customers. When you went to pick up the trailer, you had to pull alongside, hook up the air lines, jack it back up, then hook up to it.

I think they moved out to the midwest someplace.

QKRSTKR

Who has put the air to the rear box and had the set move? (tractor brake not set & hand valve not set). That killed a driver at the Fedex Ground facility here a few years ago. I've seen it a few times in the yard.

I remember that picture on here. Scary. I have forgotten to put hand valve down, but if I don't see the brake lights on the front box, I go back up to tractor and apply hand valve. Even if I know tractor brake is set. I'm not taken any chances.

brett636

I've never had that happen, but I have heard of a driver getting killed when the driver didn't notice that the dolly had jumped the pin and was crushed when he turned on the air. I keep that in mind with every set I build and refuse to cut corners just to save a few minutes.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When you have the hand valve down, always turn the service line on first, then the emergency line. The back trailer won't jerk when you do it in this order. If you reach across and turn the emergency line on first, the back trailer always jumps forward. If you've pre-tripped properly, and made sure the fifth wheel is snug under the trailer, you're golden, but it still a little unsettling when that back box shifts.

bluehdmc

I find it's easier for the snubber to push the trailer back if you reach over and open the emergency line first. I do make sure the fifth wheel is latched though.

QKRSTKR

When you have the hand valve down, always turn the service line on first, then the emergency line. The back trailer won't jerk when you do it in this order. If you reach across and turn the emergency line on first, the back trailer always jumps forward. If you've pre-tripped properly, and made sure the fifth wheel is snug under the trailer, you're golden, but it still a little unsettling when that back box shifts.

Thats how they taught me. When turning air on to back box service line then emergency line. Opposite when turning air off. Now it makes sense why. I also check my pin right away and make sure it's locked in 5th wheel before I do anything.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I've never had that happen, but I have heard of a driver getting killed when the driver didn't notice that the dolly had jumped the pin and was crushed when he turned on the air. I keep that in mind with every set I build and refuse to cut corners just to save a few minutes.

We had a 30 day wonder do it in 2010 at our Tucson building. They covered up that accident...

MaceFremonti

Made the feeder class that starts in two weeks. Went for my learner's CDL this morning. I was a little apprehensive about passing all four tests at once so I crammed all last night.......blew through all four tests in about 30 minutes and only missed 3 questions! WHEW!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Good luck. If you make it, don't EVER rush yourself, especially when the pretend drivers tell you so.

ibleedbrown

i was practicing in yard and had to stop a feeder driver from leaving yard after the back half of his wiggle wagon was not secured properly and disconnected from the front half. he didnt realize it, i used my horn, lights signals to get his attention. when he realized what happened he was freaking out, i hope he didnt get fired for that.

co-chair

Just remember one thing a bad day in feeders is still better than a good day in package. Been in feeders 19 years no regrets go slow and be careful you will do just fine

Last edited: