Anyone returned to package driver after major back injury/surgery?

Discussion in 'Health and Medical Topics' started by Over9.5>3Times, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Hi. I'm a newbie here so please bear with me but my question is has anyone here come back to work as a package driver after a major back injury or even a back surgery? I have recently been told by my workers comp Dr. that I have some major back injuries that will probably require surgery down the road but as of right now I have a chance to return to my job as a package car driver. So I would like to know from anyone who has returned as a driver how their experience was/is and if they regret their decision to return?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

What are your options?

3. My options as far as UPS is concerned is to come back as a package driver with no restrictions or don't come back at all. My workers comp Dr. says that his opinion is that I find another job but he says that he will allow me to return to full duty if I feel like I can manage the pain from my injuries.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

How much time do you have in?

5. 14 years 10 full-time

6. UpstateNYUPSer

Do you feel as though you can work another 15-20 years, or more, to earn a full pension?

As for advice---use the methods, especially the 5 keys to lifting and lowering.

I wish you the best. Dave.

7. Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I can make it that long or not but sure would be nice to hear from someone who has or has tried to work that long with similar conditions.

8. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I knew several drivers who returned after back surgery but none of them lasted many more years.

9. rod

rod retired and happy

We had a driver who was out for over 4 years who ended up having 2 major back operations. He came back and worked his final 3 or 4 years with no problem. His route was one of the long distance ones (300+ miles a day) so it didn't involve much physical work but sometimes sitting for long periods of time is even worse yet. My only suggestion would be don't continue to aggravate it--have your surgery now. Good luck.

10. Jlemansk

Jlemansk Active Member

All of the drivers I know that had back surgery, never returned to work, and are worse off than before the surgery. I would say, use surgery as an absolute last resort. Try the epidural injections, those have worked for the people I know that have tried them. While they do not last forever, you can always go back and get another round. Everyone is different. Some people get more than a year of relief from the injections, while other get 6 months.

11. Overworked75

Overworked75 New Member

I can sympathize. I've been here almost 16 years (10 full time) and just went out with 5 bulging discs in my lower back with l-5/s1 having a herniation along with a tear. I'm seeing the ortho in a few days and i'm curious as to what he says. I get a little worried about my future at the company with the workload that is ever increasing. I have a family to support and never really thought of not working here. I know that some people bounce back...and others don't. I kind of feel that 15 more years of this and I'll be collecting a pension check while not being able to walk!! Scary thought! Be safe and good luck!