Anyone see official Buyout letter today ?

vantexan

May I ask, why do you believe that the system instituted in March of 2012 will continue in force after that date?

Is there a screen in PRISM, that states pay raises for wage employees based on progression?

With the threat of unionization gone from Express (it wasn't back when they cooked up the 2012 raises back in January), why do you think those at 50%+ progression will get anything above anyone else?

Companies that have pulled out the guillotine DON'T go around and start offering pay raises to everyone that is left. Wage employees aren't at the chopping block, but take a "step back" and look at things from the perspective of the salaried staff employees (not trying to get one to shed tears for them, but take a realistic look at the HR implications of what is happening).

If Express does offer the wage employees anything above a 3% raise, AFTER chopping salaried staff and presumably holding their compensaton back - what will the salaried employees do? What risks does FedEx face from "discontented" salaried employees who feel that THEY are getting the screwing this time around? FedEx is still feeling the fury of chopping the pension plan back 4 years ago. They only dare tread so far - they know that they had not better not alienate those in a position to REALLY screw things up should they feel "slighted".

Well hourly employees have been very slighted. For years. But anyways I'm going on the material both passed out to us and posted in the station. They've had pay schemes that lasted for years before. Looks to me like they finally came up with a plan they can be happy with, 3% for years with slightly higher raises if you hang in long enough, possibly 20 years.

But again, what exactly do you believe will happen to us once we go strictly overnight?

Ricochet1a

Well hourly employees have been very slighted. For years. But anyways I'm going on the material both passed out to us and posted in the station. They've had pay schemes that lasted for years before. Looks to me like they finally came up with a plan they can be happy with, 3% for years with slightly higher raises if you hang in long enough, possibly 20 years.

But again, what exactly do you believe will happen to us once we go strictly overnight?

You already see it...

Replacing full-time Couriers that leave is next to impossible for station management (they can replace part-timers who quit relatively easy). Station management almost has to offer up their own blood to get approval for filling a vacant full-time Courier position.

Once the final bomb is dropped, full-timers will be required to work split shifts to get their minimum pay. Refuse to work an offered split shift - weekly minimums are gone.

Express knows that many full-time Couriers will start looking to leave when they are faced with 35 hours of pay a week - and being mandated to take a 3 hour unpaid break in the middle of each day in order to get that 35 hours of pay. Very few Couriers are as "frugal" as you. They are accustomed to getting 43-48 hours a week (most people fit their lifestyle around their "expected" income, not their "worst case bottom income"). When the final "unveiling" has occurred, they won't be able to continue in denial mode about their line of work, and will start looking elsewhere.

I don't believe that Express will "close out" full time Courier positions (while they are "occupied"), solely due to potential legal liability. What they will do, is make life so miserable for the full-time Couriers once the final shift-over has been accomplished, that I doubt that many would remain after 2-3 years. As the "excess" full time Couriers quit-retire-convert to part-time status (there will be a need for full-time Couriers to cover extended routes and swing positions), openings for two part-time Couriers will be created to replace each full-timer. A gradual elimination of the full-time Courier "career" will be accomplished, and DGO will become an overwhelming part-time operation.

Once the Courier "career" is killed off, what makes you think Express will offer any real pay increases for those that continue as part-time Couriers at this time? Do the Ground contactors offer a compensation package that has "top outs" as part of it? (no, they offer a take it or leave it deal).

What is the turnover rate of part-time Couriers compared to current full-time Couriers? Will a work force that is continuously turning over make any "progression" in any scale that remains... Yes part-timer, you can top out as a Courier in 28 years - don't ask us to put that in writing though - just keep in putting in those 20-25 hours a week - no OT available, so don't ask...

vantexan

You already see it...

Replacing full-time Couriers that leave is next to impossible for station management (they can replace part-timers who quit relatively easy). Station management almost has to offer up their own blood to get approval for filling a vacant full-time Courier position.

Once the final bomb is dropped, full-timers will be required to work split shifts to get their minimum pay. Refuse to work an offered split shift - weekly minimums are gone.

Express knows that many full-time Couriers will start looking to leave when they are faced with 35 hours of pay a week - and being mandated to take a 3 hour unpaid break in the middle of each day in order to get that 35 hours of pay. Very few Couriers are as "frugal" as you. They are accustomed to getting 43-48 hours a week (most people fit their lifestyle around their "expected" income, not their "worst case bottom income"). When the final "unveiling" has occurred, they won't be able to continue in denial mode about their line of work, and will start looking elsewhere.

I don't believe that Express will "close out" full time Courier positions (while they are "occupied"), solely due to potential legal liability. What they will do, is make life so miserable for the full-time Couriers once the final shift-over has been accomplished, that I doubt that many would remain after 2-3 years. As the "excess" full time Couriers quit-retire-convert to part-time status (there will be a need for full-time Couriers to cover extended routes and swing positions), openings for two part-time Couriers will be created to replace each full-timer. A gradual elimination of the full-time Courier "career" will be accomplished, and DGO will become an overwhelming part-time operation.

Once the Courier "career" is killed off, what makes you think Express will offer any real pay increases for those that continue as part-time Couriers at this time? Do the Ground contactors offer a compensation package that has "top outs" as part of it? (no, they offer a take it or leave it deal).

What is the turnover rate of part-time Couriers compared to current full-time Couriers? Will a work force that is continuously turning over make any "progression" in any scale that remains... Yes part-timer, you can top out as a Courier in 28 years - don't ask us to put that in writing though - just keep in putting in those 20-25 hours a week - no OT available, so don't ask...

Which is why they'll keep this plan, they know most part-timers aren't going to stick around that long. But regular 3% raises might slow the rate of turnover to an acceptable level. Another aspect is Express employees are just that, regular employees. If word goes around that there are no raises, minimal benefits, and jumping through hoops for the 20 hrs you get then they'll have a hard time hiring anyone with a reasonable I.Q.

If FedEx continues to serve the entire country then there will still be FT extended rt couriers. I'm betting they'll get started later if in PM or RM areas to control hours. Otherwise too easy to stretch day and not get that split in.

At any rate it's someone else's headache in a few years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why offer buyouts? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to lay everyone off?

9 months of salary (based on the example in the link) or 99 weeks of unemployment---which would be cheaper?

Let's say your salary is $4K. 9 months would give you $36K. Let's say you would receive $400/week on unemployment. 99 weeks would give you $39,600.

Mr Fedex

Banned
9 months of salary (based on the example in the link) or 99 weeks of unemployment---which would be cheaper?

Let's say your salary is $4K. 9 months would give you $36K. Let's say you would receive $400/week on unemployment. 99 weeks would give you $39,600.
That makes sense. So here's another question. Why do so many companies when faced with this name exact problem choose to layoff?Companies like Ups .

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The poetic irony to this all, is that some of the "engineers" that have been working to perfect DRA (enabling Express to eventually dump career Couriers), will be in front of the guillotine themselves.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Dano...

Thanks for your concern, but I've already got enough people with over-inflated egos who couldn't do their jobs worried about my future. I don't need another.

Goldilocks

Heres a scenario that a courier brought up me today. What if in October they announce Bankrupcy ( Chapter 11) and restructure us as contract labor workers? Could and would this happen?

This is what the WSJ has to say about Fedex and buyouts. UPDATE: FedEx to Offer Voluntary Buyouts to Some Staff - WSJ.com

bbsam

Staff member
Heres a scenario that a courier brought up me today. What if in October they announce Bankrupcy ( Chapter 11) and restructure us as contract labor workers? Could and would this happen?

This is what the WSJ has to say about Fedex and buyouts. UPDATE: FedEx to Offer Voluntary Buyouts to Some Staff - WSJ.com
In that case, I will have been right from the very beginning and will begin buying Express routes.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Lord, no. The FedEx Corporation would have to declare bankruptcy and it is far from bankrupt.

Goldilocks

Lord, no. The FedEx Corporation would have to declare bankruptcy and it is far from bankrupt.

I really like what I do with Fedex. They have been so good to me and my family. I pray they will take care of us all. Especially the Couriers!! Its been tough but they have never let us down, I would take a buyout if presented but I'm at that magic "80".....

STFXG

Hard to declare bankruptcy a couple months after selling a billion in bonds... Not to mention the company is profitable.

texan

I really like what I do with Fedex. They have been so good to me and my family. I pray they will take care of us all. Especially the Couriers!! Its been tough but they have never let us down, I would take a buyout if presented but I'm at that magic "80".....

May it be as you pray.

Rhoderunner

Our station recently went thru an entire route restructure process. We lost in the neighborhood of 10 M-friend 8 hour delivery routes. Guess what they were replaced with boys n girls. Splits and some 8's with late starts doing P2 and a pickup route. The process has started. Assimilation has begun, resistance is futile !!!