Anyone work on an Island?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Hatt, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BrownHatt

BrownHatt New Member

I drive each morning to a port, and take a 45 minute ferry to an island, then I take a bus or a cab to my center. UPS pays for everything but my gas and time. There are set times to leave the island, if you miss the 9:30 boat because you were not back to the center and on the cab by 9:15 they put you up in a hotel for the night... so much for clean uniforms and a clean shave... The boats we have any chance of boarding leave at 7:15 8:30 and 9:30pm from two different ports that are different distances from the center. Anyone else deal with this kind of stuff?
  2. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

NOPE. Maybe you should move to the island
  3. BrownHatt

BrownHatt New Member

Not worth it. We just got EDD 8 weeks ago, and drivers load their own tucks.
  4. BrownHatt

BrownHatt New Member

Oh I just re read your post. No I can't afford it. only 4 of 14 drivers on this island can.
  5. Coldworld

Coldworld Well-Known Member

Where is this at...
  6. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

I think corporate is located on this same island.
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Fantasy Island?
  8. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

If clean uniforms and a clean shave are an issue, can't you keep an extra set in your locker as well as an extra razor blade?

OVERBOARD Active Member

lol Lockers, UPS provider you a locker. You have it made. I think I'm going to fight for lockers in my building in the next contract. BTW I think the Island the OP works on is martha's vineyard
  10. splozi

splozi Guest

We have lockers at my center. They share the same rooms as the toilets.

OVERBOARD Active Member

I did my time on a island and it was the best job I had at UPS. I lived on the island for two years. I was paid to load my PKG car for 2 Hrs, I was of the Clock by 5 everyday and the best part was I hardly saw any supervisors. The reason I left was the island was 4 Hrs away by boat and I had family commitment back home on the mainland.

OVERBOARD Active Member

Well, I wouldn't want a locker on the bottom row. If its anything like the bathroom in my center. I would never change my clothes in that bathroom.
  13. rocket man

rocket man Well-Known Member

thats a good gig
  14. rod

rod retired and happy

I had a customer on my route who lived on a private island. He left signed delivery notices for me at the local laundromat. When I had a package for him I would give him a call and leave his stuff on top of the pop machine. Never had a problem. Ya have to love small towns but I'm guessing you couldn't do that now.

OVERBOARD Active Member

We ruled the roost out there, The things we did, you could never do nowadays. If you wanted something you had to use UPS there was no Fedx ground. During Christmas I would make over thousand dollars in tips.
  16. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Sometimes I feel like my mind is an island and I'm the only one there.
  17. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

[h=1]At UPS, you're and island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea.[/h]
  18. BrownHatt

BrownHatt New Member

"Someone's" Vineyard. I have not been offered a locker.
  19. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

Couldn't be Fantasy Island. OP said Ferry not De Plane, De Plane. Paradise Island maybe ?
  20. klolx

klolx New Member

u live in bermuda triangle OP?