Anyone work on an Island?

BrownHatt

I drive each morning to a port, and take a 45 minute ferry to an island, then I take a bus or a cab to my center. UPS pays for everything but my gas and time. There are set times to leave the island, if you miss the 9:30 boat because you were not back to the center and on the cab by 9:15 they put you up in a hotel for the night... so much for clean uniforms and a clean shave... The boats we have any chance of boarding leave at 7:15 8:30 and 9:30pm from two different ports that are different distances from the center. Anyone else deal with this kind of stuff?

P

pickup

I drive each morning to a port, and take a 45 minute ferry to an island, then I take a bus or a cab to my center. UPS pays for everything but my gas and time. There are set times to leave the island, if you miss the 9:30 boat because you were not back to the center and on the cab by 9:15 they put you up in a hotel for the night... so much for clean uniforms and a clean shave... The boats we have any chance of boarding leave at 7:15 8:30 and 9:30pm from two different ports that are different distances from the center. Anyone else deal with this kind of stuff?

If clean uniforms and a clean shave are an issue, can't you keep an extra set in your locker as well as an extra razor blade?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
If clean uniforms and a clean shave are an issue, can't you keep an extra set in your locker as well as an extra razor blade?

lol Lockers, UPS provider you a locker. You have it made. I think I'm going to fight for lockers in my building in the next contract. BTW I think the Island the OP works on is martha's vineyard

OVERBOARD

I did my time on a island and it was the best job I had at UPS. I lived on the island for two years. I was paid to load my PKG car for 2 Hrs, I was of the Clock by 5 everyday and the best part was I hardly saw any supervisors. The reason I left was the island was 4 Hrs away by boat and I had family commitment back home on the mainland.

rocket man

thats a good gig

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a customer on my route who lived on a private island. He left signed delivery notices for me at the local laundromat. When I had a package for him I would give him a call and leave his stuff on top of the pop machine. Never had a problem. Ya have to love small towns but I'm guessing you couldn't do that now.

OVERBOARD

We ruled the roost out there, The things we did, you could never do nowadays. If you wanted something you had to use UPS there was no Fedx ground. During Christmas I would make over thousand dollars in tips.

Sometimes I feel like my mind is an island and I'm the only one there.