Anything after 5 for a PTer is time and a half, correct?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ocnewguy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ocnewguy

ocnewguy Member

Worked 6 one day last week and got 8.50 straight for the whole check...hmm

2. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Unless you volunteer for a second shift, yes. Anything over 5 on one sort is overtime. Talk to your sup, if that is the case.

3. Macbrother

Macbrother Member

Even if you work two separate shifts anything over 5 is still overtime, unless it was driver helper. Find a supervisor who gives a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: usually they'll help you get your pay worked out.

4. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

If you are a preloader who volunteers to work metro, you get OT after 8.

5. Macbrother

Macbrother Member

I have volunteered for other shifts over 50 times this year, never once been paid a dime less than OT after 5 hours. The lone exception being driver helper.

6. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Well, in NY, if you volunteer for it, you don't get it. Local 687

7. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Let me add......... If you work over 5 on the first shift, you get the OT. But, when clocking in for the second shift, it's back to straight time for the next 3 hours, then OT again.

8. Macbrother

Macbrother Member

Ok menotyou I have found the disparity. :)

Atlantic supplement.
    "Part-time employees working in any part-time classification over five (5) hours in anyshift or combination of shifts will receive overtime after five (5)
    hours, and/or for all hours of work in excess of thirty (30) hours in
    a week. "

New York supplement
    "Part-time employees shall be guaranteed a minimum of three and one-half (3 1/2) hours and
    shall be paid overtime over five and one-half (5 ½) hours on their assigned shift . This provision does
    not apply to employees who double shift—they shall receive overtime after 8 hours."

So yeah. Depends on where you are.

9. laffter

laffter Active Member

Here, in the Southern Region (at least in this state), you get overtime after 5 hours during any single shift, or after 8 hours during any single day (or over 40 for the week). That's why they won't work me more than 5 hours when I show up for twilight every day.

10. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I thought there was something about OT after 5, but I guess not. :bigsmile2:

11. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

We get OT over 5 on 1 shift , A common occurance is to not pay it. You need to keep track of your time or they will get you. OT is a no no that becomes less of a problem as the year goes on. By peak it's no even a concern and than January comes and you have to bitch about getting your 3 1/2 and the cycle starts over again.

12. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Payroll grievances pay double, if you include Art. 50.

13. Loufan

Loufan New Member

I've always heard different things about this. One person says it's over 25 hours in a week and one says it's over 5 hours in a day. If you work 5+ hours every day of the week then it'll still add up the same as OT at 25 hours. It's all very confusing I can never get a straight answer.

14. anonymous4

anonymous4 Active Member

Here it is OT after 5 hours as PT. If you double shift that turns into 8 hours to receive OT. I average 1-2 hours of OT a day, but I am desired. Be desired. If you work more than 25 hours in a week (5 hours a day), obviously the rest would be OT. Pretty simple.

15. ocnewguy

ocnewguy Member

I brought up the question to my sup as well as some guys who've been there a long time on break. I got some very puzzled looks when i mention OT after 5. Like no one had ever heard of that before.

16. htown0721

htown0721 Guest

If by oc your from orange county CA nobody gets OT after 5, when I would double shift I would get it after 8

17. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Here, you get OT after 5. If you double shift, you go back to straight time for the first 3 hours of the second shift; then, back to OT for the rest.

18. ocnewguy

ocnewguy Member

It sounds like things run quite a bit differently here versus the rest of the county (based off what I've read here. Funny, I figured being in California UPS would be on the more...uh..liberal side of things regarding the union, jobs in the hub, OT things like that.

19. htown0721

htown0721 Guest

Honestly, I would go to either HR or a shop steward and ask....there is no hurt in trying but if that is the case then a lot of people have been underpaid

20. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Each supplement is different. As menotyou stated, in our supplement PTers get OT after 5 hours, unless they double shift, upon which OT starts at 8.