Anything I can do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS will ALWAYS take advantage of those who allow themselves to be taken advantage of.

Truth be told you can pretty much insert any company name and this statement will still be true. For example:

WalMart will ALWAYS take advantage of those who allow themselves to be taken advantage of.

JustTired

free at last.......
This is what happens when you change the mission statement of the company from "to provide the best service at the best price" to "to maximize profits and and satisfy the shareholders needs".

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
While I feel your pain, your job as the wife is to support him, not protect him from UPS. If he needs to see hes not the lone ranger, he needs to come on here and read. If you were to call his boss or any such thing his career would be over or tougher.
Everyone is experiencing the same increase in their day, the bar down the road from our building went out of business because quite a few of us used to have time to stop and fellowship over a drink, now no one does. We all just race home to salvage what is left of the day, and it usually isnt much.

TSup

I think everyone knows what they are getting into when they become a driver. It's no secret, if you start at 8:30 and work just 9 hours a day and take a 1 hour lunch, that's back to building by 6:30 and home by 7:00 if you are lucky.

Your husband has options, does he ever take his 8 hour requests? Is he even working over 9.5? If not get used to it. I have many drivers that just do not want to be done early. Who knows, maybe they like the money, maybe they just don't want to go home?

And I must say that the comment made earlier about coverage drivers is often very true. I often say to myself when planning the next week how good or bad of a week we will have just based on who is on vacation.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Just support your husband.Its up to him to get this straightened out.He needs to find a normal safe pace and stick with it.There is nothing unethical about being safe.Any driver can tell you-UPS will kill you fast or kill you slow-its up to you.Tell him to get a sup on the car for a day(all day)and work at a safe pace.When the OR says they ran 1 1/2 hrs over then maybe the sup has enough integrity to find someone in IE with enough integrity to give him an honest time study.But you will probably win the lottery first then he wont have to work like a rented mule.Seriously just support him because it is toughand I dont think things can get much worse,but Ive been saying that for 20 years.

JustTired

free at last.......
We've got corporate America running (ruining) the country. We've got corporate America running (ruining) our lives. Until everyone wakes up and decides to fight back, we will continue to come to forums like this and complain about it.

Until someone shows them that working these long hours (with diminished service, safety and health) is a liability to their profits, nothing will change.

55andout?

Good job management. You lied to the woman and you know it. More than likely the husbands load increased because of IE cutting allowances, the driver is more than likely over dispatched daily with more businesses than can be done and taking a lunch before finishing. His load is probably so screwed up before leaving the building because the loader has more to load because of a poorly implemented (maybe even by you) PAS/EDD and he has to try to figure out how to make it work. Of course he complains everyday, he's given more work to do and less time to do it to UPS "standards" plus being harassed to turn in sales leads and not go over 9.5 and run it all in an impossible scratch time. When he asks why his dispatch is so high, you call him a crybaby, intimidate him with " the cover driver can do it in less time", while inconveniently disregarding the fact that the cover driver is half his age. He is told that if he dares to file an O/9.5 grievance. he will receive a three day "production: ride from you to "straighten" him out. He's told that everything that might go wrong is HIS fault and WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. You tell him that he has an attitude problem and he needs to be a team player.

Now, to make my point. There are many things that happen day in and day out with drivers that adversely effect the numbers and the time it takes to run a route. These things should be taken up with the driver, not his/her spouse, even if they do call you. A real man would have respectfully told the wife that he would not discuss these matters with her because that is between the driver and the company. It takes a pretty much low-life to unload like you described.
I'm willing to bet most people in your center hope you reach your 55 and out very soon.

55andout?

Good job management. You lied to the woman and you know it. More than likely the husbands load increased because of IE cutting allowances, the driver is more than likely over dispatched daily with more businesses than can be done and taking a lunch before finishing. His load is probably so screwed up before leaving the building because the loader has more to load because of a poorly implemented (maybe even by you) PAS/EDD and he has to try to figure out how to make it work. Of course he complains everyday, he's given more work to do and less time to do it to UPS "standards" plus being harassed to turn in sales leads and not go over 9.5 and run it all in an impossible scratch time. When he asks why his dispatch is so high, you call him a crybaby, intimidate him with " the cover driver can do it in less time", while inconveniently disregarding the fact that the cover driver is half his age. He is told that if he dares to file an O/9.5 grievance. he will receive a three day "production: ride from you to "straighten" him out. He's told that everything that might go wrong is HIS fault and WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. You tell him that he has an attitude problem and he needs to be a team player.

Now, to make my point. There are many things that happen day in and day out with drivers that adversely effect the numbers and the time it takes to run a route. These things should be taken up with the driver, not his/her spouse, even if they do call you. A real man would have respectfully told the wife that he would not discuss these matters with her because that is between the driver and the company. It takes a pretty much low-life to unload like you described.
I'm willing to bet most people in your center hope you reach your 55 and out very soon.
Wow! Such a long post and you got nothing right. Actually listening to her tell the same story about UPS and how hard her husband works was actually sickening. He was lying to her! Thats probably why they are divorced and why he is no longer with the company. When you lie about some things then you probably lie about just about anything. Ohh and the driver who now has his route is in his mid 30's just like Mr.Wonderful. He takes a 25 minute lunch everyday and is in by 6p.m. He runs scracth consistantly. I stand by what I did!

M

Midwest Package Jockey

+1

I will add though, that I was in the same boat until I started taking my lunch in the middle of the day and calling to have someone get my air. It took about a week of that and my dispatch came down.

I carry 4 quarts of water in a cooler. At the end of the day, my last bottle still has ice in it. When I finish a bottle, if there is still ice in it, I fill it at a customers.

Your husband could file an over 9.5 grievance, but maybe he likes the work. Some folks would rather work than be at home. Just sayin.

TB
Well said!! Have to bring up to center manager and union steward, if you are over 9.5 hours, things will change. As for staying hydrated carry as many water jugs as you need if you don't have time to fill throughout the day. Drink,drink, drink is all I can sayP

I stand by what I did!
OF course you do, you're management and we all know management is always right and honest.
Too bad you couldn't see that it was a composite picture of things I see happening everyday at the UPS I work for. It's also unfortunate that you couldn't see that my main point in my long rant was to illustrate that you (as a supposed professional) even had a reply to the spouse of an employee. It's really a good thing you and I don't work in the same building.

j13501

Good job management. You lied to the woman and you know it. More than likely the husbands load increased because of IE cutting allowances, the driver is more than likely over dispatched daily QUOTE]

I find it very interesting that when someone in management brings up "the other side of the story", it's a lie. I don't always agree with what's posted here, but I don't think they're lies; no, people are just telling the truth from their perspectiive.

Take a look at what Cino321 posted earlier - "Who cares about the packages. Honestly, when I go home at night, I could care less about what made service and what didn't, or who I disappointed today. I'm not here for extra credit." With this attitude, Cino is probably the driver that 55andout? is talking about- the guy who used to do the job, but now doesn't.

The point is that there's another side of the story. Someone once said "there's your side, his side and the truth" (somewhere in between). There are poor supervisors at UPS, but there are also poor drivers and both cause problems for the good people every day.

bellesotico

BOXstar
ginfea-

I can understand how frustrating it could be for someone to be on the "outside" unable to take control of a situation that affects someone you love so dearly, but this is the nature of the beast when it comes to UPS. Believe it or not, what you are describing is nothing out of the ordinary and certainly not personal.

When reading the responses to your post please try to keep in mind that these are drivers that work under these conditions (sometimes worse!) on a daily basis.

It is very difficult to stand by and do nothing, but you must understand that driving for UPS is your husband's job. Intervening on his behalf as an outsider would be highly unprofessional and in could affect your husband adversly. Legally UPS is under no obligation to speak with you regarding policy, so if your husband feels he is being wronged, it is his right to consult his union steward or business agent.

If you really want to do something, perhaps you could start a UPS wife support thread or something. Maybe that would be a more fitting place to vent frustrations and share stories with other UPS wives going through the same thing. You may not be able to change things, but at least you wouldn't have to keep bottled up.

Good luck

~Belle

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
It is true what is being said, if he slacks off and they finally notice the work load is too much they will drop the amount of stops in that car during the work week. Funny, UPS basically promots lazyness XD~!~.

It isnt like hes the only one who gets a ton of stops. One of my drivers gets any where up to 100 - 155 stops. The building sups dont want their workers to go past a 9/5. This driver of mine gets off around 8:00pm each day. The driver next to him is 62 years old, and deals with about 310 packages and around 50 - 70 stops a day. Mostly due to bulk orders up to 155 packages in one stop. Driving isnt easy, but it is easier then pre-loading, pick your poison.

I will agree with a few of my fellow workers, that some of the drivers are babies. After loading about 1000, 1200 a night, driving the car up to 210 packages, and unloading it would be easy.

Try not to forget that there are worse jobs out there. Pre-loaders is one of them, semi drivers is another, almost spending up to 12 hours in a single shift and driving any where up to 350 miles a night.

Your husband could file for grievances about the work load being too much. And that, amazingly, does work.

cino321

Take a look at what Cino321 posted earlier - "Who cares about the packages. Honestly, when I go home at night, I could care less about what made service and what didn't, or who I disappointed today. I'm not here for extra credit." With this attitude, Cino is probably the driver that 55andout? is talking about- the guy who used to do the job, but now doesn't.

I do my job, and very well. But I don't let anyone take advantage of me. I'm not a farm animal. My number one goal is to remain accident and injury free, I do have a life after the job, and I certainly want to experience it one piece. I don't go to work with the intention of scum bagging anyone.

Leftinbuilding

It is true what is being said, if he slacks off and they finally notice the work load is too much they will drop the amount of stops in that car during the work week. Funny, UPS basically promots lazyness XD~!~.

It isnt like hes the only one who gets a ton of stops. One of my drivers gets any where up to 100 - 155 stops. The building sups dont want their workers to go past a 9/5. This driver of mine gets off around 8:00pm each day. The driver next to him is 62 years old, and deals with about 310 packages and around 50 - 70 stops a day. Mostly due to bulk orders up to 155 packages in one stop. Driving isnt easy, but it is easier then pre-loading, pick your poison.

I will agree with a few of my fellow workers, that some of the drivers are babies. After loading about 1000, 1200 a night, driving the car up to 210 packages, and unloading it would be easy.

Try not to forget that there are worse jobs out there. Pre-loaders is one of them, semi drivers is another, almost spending up to 12 hours in a single shift and driving any where up to 350 miles a night.

Your husband could file for grievances about the work load being too much. And that, amazingly, does work.

Driving easier than preload? Having done both, I would have to respectfully, yet vehemently disagree.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
How someone could type with a straight face " DRIVING IS EASIER THAN PRELOADING" should be shipped to a mental institution.
There's a reason drivers make the top salary in the business ! There's a reason they will rotate 5 new hires at $8.50 an hour to load cars til one of them gets it right.
If you consider your preloading job harder than driver, then you apparently love your scotch.