apathy in meeting

MAKAVELI

First, volume (express saver), is not shifting according to Distmgr.

And you believed him? District and Senior Managers have been told to flat out LIE, if they are asked a question about impending operational changes which may, "Create undue alarm and distress among wage employees". The plan exists, it is just waiting for Express to put it in the line up of operational changes.

Many areas are just not logistically efficient to truck. We were told that this product would be able to compete with ground given the logistics and time involved.

Now I know he was lying to you. Express Saver CANNOT compete with Ground product. The only reason Express still has it is that shippers on the two coasts want the option of 3rd day delivery that Ground cannot possibly meet. That is the only reason it still exists. Express doesn't want to 'surrender' those customers to UPS by terminating Express Saver, but it also doesn't want to carry that volume given the revenue that 3rd day generates.

Here's a 'clip' from Dow Jones Newswire about the news today (BC doesn't want full article inclusions)

FedEx, which pioneered overnight air delivery in the early 1970s, acknowledged it has been carrying too many low-margin, deferred packages on its expensive-to-operate priority air network. It said Wednesday​ (that's today, March 20, 2013) that it plans to ground some of its express flights and shift more nonpriority volume to lower-cost parts of its delivery network, such as FedEx Trade Networks, its unit that arranges third-party transportation for shippers, including using oceangoing freighters.

They didn't mention Ground here (because FedEx doesn't want to let the cat completely out of the bag), but the decision has been made - shift more nonpriority volume to lower-cost parts of its delivery network....

The writing has been on the wall for a long time now. The Express Couriers need to snap out of their seemingly never ending state of denial and face what Express is being molded into.

they let out a huge stink bomb today..stock down almost 10%..analysts are crying in their beer..They blew it.they shouldve been more aggressive with the new reductions and I wouldnt be surprised if heads will roll ..look for express saver to go away soon if that is the plan..they cant let the investors down two qtrs in a row.way to go fred ..

I think it was closer to 7% drop, closing at just under $100/share.

No, a high turn over is not what they want. They would have nothing to gain by having a revolving door for its employees.

Oh how wrong you are.

It costs Express about $4000 to currently recruit, perform background checks and train a new Courier. It takes about 3 months for that Courier to get to a point where their productivity is acceptable, if not comparable to 'fully seasoned' Couriers. If Express had to undergo a 'rush' recruitment of Couriers to replace striking Couriers, the cost would increase dramatically.

If that new Courier is making $5/hr less than the Courier they replaced, how long does it take for Express to hit the "break even point'? Let's assume that they are part-time to boot (fewer hours worked, so longer to hit that break even point).

It would take 800 hours to recoup the expense of recruitment, background checks and training. For the 3 months it takes this Courier to come up to an acceptable level of productivity (I'm going to throw out 75% of 'goal' as being acceptable - getting to the 100% point will take another couple of months - I'm being REAL generous in allowing this Courier to come up to speed SLOWLY), the 'loss' to Express in terms of productivity would be equivalent of about 5 hours a week for that 12 week period of time.

HOWEVER...

Since this Courier is being paid $5/hr LESS than the Courier they replaced, the actual 'cost' to Express for this lost productivity, is ZERO. If one hires a replacement that is only 75% as productive as their predecessor, BUT they are also paid only 75% as much - there is NO LOSS to the company 'working' the lower cost worker. But then when this 'replacement' Courier does get their productivity up to that of a 'seasoned Courier', the savings to Express in terms of labor costs are pure profit margin.

Look at what a low progression Courier now makes compare to a topped out Courier - and they are both held to the same standard of productivity. Express is making serious 'bank' on that low progression Courier.

So.... this leaves the only cost to recover as being the initial training expense - which is recouped with 800 hours of work - or about 10 months time for a part-time employee (it is half that time for a full-time employee).

Express just LOVES high turnover for Couriers. Internally, Express management has stated that they see the future of the Courier job position as "Something that someone holds for about 5 years then either progresses in the company or leaves".

They would have high costs in hiring and training, loss in revenue due to lower service levels and possible loss of business. It does not look good to customers and investors to have no longevity and loyalty in its workforce.

High costs in hiring and training - DISPROVED

Loss in revenue.... I think you have an inflated sense of just how important you are as an individual to your employer.

Customer and Investors caring about 'longevity and loyalty"..... Investors DON'T CARE about wage employee loyalty - all they care about is PROFIT. If employees aren't 'loyal', the issue falls on company management to get productivity out of them regardless of what the employee may be thinking in their head.

The old days of Federal Express are long past. The old timers here know what that company was like and lament its passing. You are now working as part of FedEx Corporation - where the corporation is going to cash in on the brand of 'FedEx' and reel in the profits while the wage employees in particular take it in the shorts.
I personally think you are wrong on this point. There is a reason as to why UPS is as large as they are and been around as long as they have been. Longevity, and trust in the brand has a lot to do with their success. Investors aren't stupid. If they see a change in the philosophy of the company that could result on a negative outlook for the company, they will start pulliing out.There is no doubt they are downsizing Express but to think that high turnover is not going to affect the " brand" is ignorant in my opinion.

Ricochet1a

This is from a news article quoted in the news section of BC.

FedEx Falls After Lowering 2013 Forecast Amid Asia Cuts - Bloomberg

...As a result, FedEx will reduce air capacity and push lower- yielding goods to cheaper shipping networks, such as ocean and ground, within the company, said Dave Rebholz, chief executive of FedEx Express.

Straight out of the mouth of an Express executive....

Push lower-yielding goods to cheaper shipping networks, such as ocean and ground.

Part of that 'push' is giving customers price quotes with Express and Ground at the SAME TIME - customers are making a lot of the 'push'.

The rest of the push.... you know what will happen.

vantexan

I personally think you are wrong on this point. There is a reason as to why UPS is as large as they are and been around as long as they have been. Longevity, and trust in the brand has a lot to do with their success. Investors aren't stupid. If they see a change in the philosophy of the company that could result on a negative outlook for the company, they will start pulliing out.There is no doubt they are downsizing Express but to think that high turnover is not going to affect the " brand" is ignorant in my opinion.

What it comes down to is if there's not enough work for the amount of employees they have, will they just pay the guarantee? Discontinue the guarantee? Lay people off? Offer buyouts? They will go for the most profitable option if everything else they do is an indicator.

vantexan

This is from a news article quoted in the news section of BC.

FedEx Falls After Lowering 2013 Forecast Amid Asia Cuts - Bloomberg

...As a result, FedEx will reduce air capacity and push lower- yielding goods to cheaper shipping networks, such as ocean and ground, within the company, said Dave Rebholz, chief executive of FedEx Express.

Straight out of the mouth of an Express executive....

Push lower-yielding goods to cheaper shipping networks, such as ocean and ground.

Part of that 'push' is giving customers price quotes with Express and Ground at the SAME TIME - customers are making a lot of the 'push'.

The rest of the push.... you know what will happen.

So looks like they are speeding up the process in hopes of propping up the stock price.

Ricochet1a

Take a look at any 5 Ground drivers...

They all drive trucks which say in great, big letters: FedEx

The brand of FedEx was sold out over a decade ago - the brand was developed with Federal Express, gained public recognition and is now being used to rake in the cash.

If one of the Ground contractors could comment on this... I think there may be as many Ground routes operating out there now, as there are Express routes. It would be difficult to get hard numbers on this, but I think there are about as many Ground delivery trucks out there as there are Express delivery trucks out there.

If this is so, then logically it goes that any random encounter between someone of the public and "FedEx", would have a 50-50 chance of that "FedEx" being a Ground 'helper' - as opposed to an Express Courier.

And you still think that FedEx hasn't already realized this, and ACCEPTED it?

FedEx was sold out years ago - the issue is that the Couriers still think they work for the 'flagship' of FedEx. You can think that all you want (it actually works to Fred's advantage, you thinking you have some 'specialness' due to working in Express), but in reality, you merely work for one operating company which is struggling mightily with poor management whose only saving grace is that the wage employees of their Express company aren't organized.

MAKAVELI

Take a look at any 5 Ground drivers...

They all drive trucks which say in great, big letters: FedEx

The brand of FedEx was sold out over a decade ago - the brand was developed with Federal Express, gained public recognition and is now being used to rake in the cash.

If one of the Ground contractors could comment on this... I think there may be as many Ground routes operating out there now, as there are Express routes. It would be difficult to get hard numbers on this, but I think there are about as many Ground delivery trucks out there as there are Express delivery trucks out there.

If this is so, then logically it goes that any random encounter between someone of the public and "FedEx", would have a 50-50 chance of that "FedEx" being a Ground 'helper' - as opposed to an Express Courier.

And you still think that FedEx hasn't already realized this, and ACCEPTED it?

FedEx was sold out years ago - the issue is that the Couriers still think they work for the 'flagship' of FedEx. You can think that all you want (it actually works to Fred's advantage, you thinking you have some 'specialness' due to working in Express), but in reality, you merely work for one operating company which is struggling mightily with poor management whose only saving grace is that the wage employees of their Express company aren't organized.
You are wrong about ground having as many routes. I would say there is half as many in my area if that. I know I'm just a number to this company. I knew that the first day on the job. That does not mean collectively we have no value to the success of the company. At some point that "poor management" may be the death of the company. DHL is a prime example.

overflowed

You are wrong about ground having as many routes. I would say there is half as many in my area if that. I know I'm just a number to this company. I knew that the first day on the job. That does not mean collectively we have no value to the success of the company. At some point that "poor management" may be the death of the company. DHL is a prime example.

I would agree with you. Ground rts cover like 3 of our rts. They have no commits which makes this possible. In a very condensed area (cities)maybe two. Larger resi areas maybe more.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I would agree with you. Ground rts cover like 3 of our rts. They have no commits which makes this possible. In a very condensed area (cities)maybe two. Larger resi areas maybe more.

This is also true in my area. There are 3 Ground terminals in the greater metro area of where I reside, and more than 10 Express stations in that same area. There are far more Express routes...at least where I'm at.

bbsam

Staff member
This is also true in my area. There are 3 Ground terminals in the greater metro area of where I reside, and more than 10 Express stations in that same area. There are far more Express routes...at least where I'm at.
Does this include HD routes? I'm really not sure how you count "routes". As far as I can tell, you guys have both "am" and "pm" routes running. So while "number of routes" may be heavily in favor of Express in terms of the number of drivers and trucks hitting the street on any given day, how that breaks down in actual "customer contacts" is harder to determine.

overflowed

Does this include HD routes? I'm really not sure how you count "routes". As far as I can tell, you guys have both "am" and "pm" routes running. So while "number of routes" may be heavily in favor of Express in terms of the number of drivers and trucks hitting the street on any given day, how that breaks down in actual "customer contacts" is harder to determine.
Only metro areas have lots of pm routes\pickup rtes. I was speaking in terms of ground rts. Not really including HD.

MAKAVELI

Only metro areas have lots of pm routes\pickup rtes. I was speaking in terms of ground rts. Not really including HD.
I was including hd.

Ricochet1a

That is what I was trying to stress, 'customer contacts'.

So let's go ahead and throw in FedEx Office into the mix, since there very well may be more Express Couriers running around out there than combined Ground and Home Delivery drivers. The exact proportion isn't what is relevant here.

The 'face' of FedEx has changed RADICALLY over the past decade from being almost exclusively Express wage employees, to being a mix of different opcos' employees. With Office in the mix, I'd wager that the typical customer encounter with a "FedEx employee" (including Ground in that, since the public views them as "employees") is an encounter with someone making less than $13/hr, and with either no or a rather poor benefits package.

These 'people' aren't exactly doing handstands for Fred - pushing FedEx like it is the greatest thing in the world (OK, the Office employees do have sales 'quotas').

FedEx Corporate is well aware of who their typical 'employee' is, and are just fine with it.

The fact that the typical FedEx wage employee makes LESS than current average wage doesn't bother FedEx executive management one bit - it just means more for them and the shareholders...

STFXG

The terminal I'm out of is twice the size of the express building covering a nearly identical geographical area.

In the areas I service the number of trucks (ground and HD) is equal to the number of express trucks.

TUT

Do they possibly mean profit per pkg?

FedEx - News Release

No I'm reading it right, Rev/pkg(Yield) and reported the same way for Ground and Express:
Express Avg Pkg Rev: $20.87
Ground: $8.92
SP: $1.77

If it were profit, then Ground and Express would be doing incredibly well, those two numbers make sense for an average package cost. The smart post one does not.

As shippers we have been told the reason smart post is cheaper/profitable is because Fedex leverages the post office to deliver residential packages. Well it doesn't cost $6+ a package to be profitable delivering ground residential. It's as if they have some giveaway price to Amazon to obtain business if these numbers are correct. Fedex states publically they don't buy business like that, I don't know about that after reading SP avg price.

To make that public, tells me I have to talk with my sales rep and see why I'm not able to get prices like that.

hypo hanna

It's as if they have some giveaway price to Amazon to obtain business if these numbers are correct. Fedex states publically they don't buy business like that, I don't know about that after reading SP avg price.

To make that public, tells me I have to talk with my sales rep and see why I'm not able to get prices like that.

Looks like the employees aren't the only ones being lied to. I know for a fact they do buy business like that. Ive seen them deliberately take well under .75 a pkg to keep the freight from UPS. The reason you don't get a rate like that is you are a too small a fish. Your rep won't tell you that but that's the case.

TUT

Looks like the employees aren't the only ones being lied to. I know for a fact they do buy business like that. Ive seen them deliberately take well under .75 a pkg to keep the freight from UPS. The reason you don't get a rate like that is you are a too small a fish. Your rep won't tell you that but that's the case.

I understand, but since it's avg price, not low end but average... I'm around $5. 1000 pc/day. That isn't small. So there has to be a lot of me around and smaller, so it would take as you say someone with .75 cent rates to balance that back out to $1.77. I don't see how it covers the gas, let alone the rest of your overhead. But $1.77 is the avg, mine is $5. I'd be happy with $3. We'll see.

Ricochet1a

I took a look at the financials as provided on the PDF to the link above - and all the numbers do indeed 'line up'.

So what it looks like, is that revenue is being split between Ground and "Smart Post' (some of what you are calling Smart Post has revenue split between the financial statement "Smart Post", and some is under "Ground").

I suspect that they may have the revenue from the line haul portion ONLY of what you are thinking of as Smart Post listed ($267,000,000 for the 3 month period ending 2/28/2013), that divided by total pieces (2,477,000 average daily pcs TIMES 62 operating days in reporting period resulting in 153,174,000 total pcs moved in the period). So divide the revenue by total pcs to get

$1.74....

There is going to be some error due to rounded numbers being used in the reporting statement.

One has to admit, having only 10% of the total revenue for Ground coming from Smart Post, BUT fully one-third of the total pieces moving through Ground being Smart Post - that something doesn't look right.

So what I suspect is happening, is that there is additional revenue attached to these Smart Post pieces, which is being reported under the Ground portion of the financial statements. The revenue listed under Smart Post may just be the direct revenue associated with billing for the line haul portion of the movement.

FedExRookie

Haven't they alread reduced DOT school, especially for DOT handlers?

I've seen my station use 5 DOT handlers to handle 3 bulk stops and run 'close' routes to the station.

TUT

One has to admit, having only 10% of the total revenue for Ground coming from Smart Post, BUT fully one-third of the total pieces moving through Ground being Smart Post - that something doesn't look right.

So what I suspect is happening, is that there is additional revenue attached to these Smart Post pieces, which is being reported under the Ground portion of the financial statements. The revenue listed under Smart Post may just be the direct revenue associated with billing for the line haul portion of the movement.

Got it, that must be correct. They must split the cost, where the ground portion gets theirs and the final mile, the post office, is getting the $1.77, which is basically saying that is what the residential delivery portion of the delivery costs.