Appearance Standards

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by dempseyjosh, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Is there anywhere for me to find our Appearance standards? The link to it on doesn't bring it up.

I'm just looking to see what it says exactly. They are starting to ride people about UPS socks here, but I thought I when I started driving I was told black socks were fine.
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

If you wear shorts you have to wear their socks. If you wear pants how are they going to tell what color your socks are?
  3. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

​Black or brown, Dave. Absolutely no white.
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

Black socks w/shorts?
  5. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Not with shorts. At least here and we have very easy going managers, so if not here I believe NOWHERE!
  6. probellringer

probellringer Member

i guess your not a runner. then you must order socks. i know- how/where do i get we go...
  7. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

I am ready for some new socks.....where do I get them from?
  8. UpstateNYUPSer

Last time I checked Cintas is out of stock----try Twin Hill.

Oh, you were being sarcastic....:wink2:
  9. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Pants, Dave.
  10. balland chain

balland chain Member

I was told that brown or black socks were fine if wearing pants. If you are wearing shorts you are forced to buy the overpriced UPS socks.. However, I have noticed (after being told I could not wear black socks) that the "favorite" drivers can pretty much wear what ever the hell they want to. Kinda sucks, but that is UPS.. There is (was) an appearance guideline section in the employee handbook but that was over 20 years ago and I am not sure if they still have that around..
  11. cino321

cino321 Active Member

For crying out loud you do not have to wear their socks!
  12. I got their socks last year. But nothing was ever said to me for the 4 years prior to that. I don't have an employee handbook, so I can't look there. I was looking on the UPSers site and when you click on appearance standards, nothing happens.
  13. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

In my hub they have the standards on a board near where the bid lists and upcoming union meeting papers are put up.
  14. Thanks, I'll take a look and see if it's posted, but I usually take the time to look at what they have posted and have never noticed it before.
  15. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

The only appearance standards every written said "black or brown socks". It never said anything about "with pants". I was even told by a steward that it was just an understanding that the UPS logo socks were to be worn with shorts. I told him I don't do understanding. We have language in the contract since 1994 that says we can wear shorts then we should rewrite the standards.

Bottom line is if they force you to wear it then they should be providing it to you. Pants/shorts, shirts, belts, hats and SOCKS!!! Provide it and I'll wear it.
  16. What kind of socks..DO YOU WEAR...without pants? Spank monkey??
  17. serenity now

serenity now Guest

just don't wear a long sleeve shirt untucked :wink2:
  18. Ghost in the Darkness

Ghost in the Darkness Active Member

Why don't you just wear pants, then change into shorts after you leave so you don't get the sock Nazis stirred up. You won't even have to change back since they've have all left for the day when you return. I haven't bought any socks yet and don't plan to either.
  19. This is the way I feel about it, which is why i'm trying to see if anyone can show me where it says otherwise.
  20. Buy the sox!! The chic's dig em!!!