Appearance Standards

over9five

Staff member
Hard to read, but under "Socks" it says 'Black or Brown" and 'Only brown UPS socks to be worn with uniform shorts'.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"Appearance audit". He wanted to see everyone's socks so he asked everyone to pull up a leg and show your socks.

And we are paying this man a salary?

Something to keep in mind the next time we hear the company whining about FedEx's "non union cost advantage."

GameCockFan

Screw 'em. I wear black socks with shorts all the time. If you want me to wear a UPS branded item, guess what, UPS is going to have to provide it. I have some socks that were given out a PCM that are official and wear those some days. I also have a few other pairs that were given out at the PCM that are just brown with a gold ring around top. I was told by an auditor that those were not in compliance. I said, Oh really UPS gave them to me. Well they are fine then.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I wear no show socks so I don't understand the big deal. I wear pants for a few months if they bitch much though.

Yep, low cut black socks. If they give me crap, I point out the guys that wear boots with shorts and no socks showing.

​(In 17 days, no socks at all!)

BTW, anybody want mine?

Last edited:

Buck Fifty

Inevitably after they see the socks, they ask "Do you have UPS underwear on too ?"

I always tell , they are brown but not UPS issue. Not so humorous once they think about it.

Namraputs

That don't look like a contract book to me. Any Joe Schmuck can make a poster with rules they made up.

Western supplement says "The Employer has the right to establish and maintain reasonable standards concerning personal grooming and appearance and wearing of uniforms and accessories."

Whats reasonable?

balland chain

Good point, and if a certain center manager feels a certain article of clothing is not acceptable, than is that the rule for all in the building? Down south I have seen it all. Drivers wearing white socks, drivers wearing black UPS hats etc. I was told I could not wear white socks and now I see numerous drivers wearing them. As stated in another post, file a grievance and wait for a year? And during that wait I will be harassed for filing that grievance ? Until the company as a whole, has a uniform standard across the board & across the country, it will be up to each manager and the mood he/she is in that day, and who the driver in question is. IMO

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good point, and if a certain center manager feels a certain article of clothing is not acceptable, than is that the rule for all in the building? Down south I have seen it all. Drivers wearing white socks, drivers wearing black UPS hats etc. I was told I could not wear white socks and now I see numerous drivers wearing them. As stated in another post, file a grievance and wait for a year? And during that wait I will be harassed for filing that grievance ? Until the company as a whole, has a uniform standard across the board & across the country, it will be up to each manager and the mood he/she is in that day, and who the driver in question is. IMO

Every once in a while our center manager will get on a "you can't wear non-UPS clothing while working" kick. A lot of the guys have hoodies which a local business embroidered with the logo. They look really good and I almost got one but I knew that we wouldn't be allowed to wear them on road.

It also depends upon his mood and the driver in question.