Applying for Part-Time Supervisor?

ltdan1138

I am a sophomore college and I have been working at UPS for 8 months now. I have been told by multiple supervisors that I am a good loader. I do everything the way we were taught to do and I do it fast. (Not trying to brag at all). This is because hope to become a part-time supervisor soon. I heard they roughly start at a 1500$ salary and also get the opportunity of having UPS help pay for their tuition. As I am strapped for cash, working one job and going to school, I find this a good idea. How do I apply to become a part time supervisor? Do I have enough experience or have I not worked at UPS that long? Also, would I be put in charge of a belt? Or a trainer? Thanks.

kingOFchester

Re: Appling for Part-Time Supervisor?

Just hope that a spelling test isn't part of the hiring process.

I think it is, and the OP will make it to full time. I always get a chuckle out of all the spelling mistakes on the papers hanging around the building. I will be the first to admit, my spelling and grammar "ain't" the greatest, but I am a truck driver. Not someone who writes and prints the endless "drivel".

TxRoadDawg

I am a sophomore college and I have been working at UPS for 8 months now. I have been told by multiple supervisors that I am a good loader. I do everything the way we were taught to do and I do it fast. (Not trying to brag at all). This is because hope to become a part-time supervisor soon. I heard they roughly start at a 1500$ salary and also get the opportunity of having UPS help pay for their tuition. As I am strapped for cash, working one job and going to school, I find this a good idea. How do I apply to become a part time supervisor? Do I have enough experience or have I not worked at UPS that long? Also, would I be put in charge of a belt? Or a trainer? Thanks.
A few things I've seen in my little center. if your LUCKY you should get OMS, they get to sit in the office all day on the phones and shuffling paperwork. If not, first they only put part time sups on when a slot is open for one. Most likely you'll have the belt by yourself including doing all the paperwork and training ect. true the tuition assistance is sweet up to a point, think its 2 grand per semester in your pocket regardless of what school cost you IF your school is approved. get a letter of intent from your full time sup and use it as the guide. if they like it you do some online test. basic math and what if situations, just answer the most pro company response and youll pass.

you do get it my best advice is take the money, graduate, put ups on the resume and get on down the road. also take a good look at how long it takes to make driver in your building, 31 an hour top rate without even a hs diploma beats most 4 yr degree jobs....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good idea except the last paragraph about driving.

The last paragraph was the best advice. Do the pt sup gig, take the tuition reimbursement money (which, BTW, you don't get the flat $2K---you are only reimbursed for your actual costs) and move on after you graduate.

I would not recommend a driving career to anyone at this point. With the necessity that new driver's wages be adjusted downward in the near future in order to remain competitive with Ground, the career of a UPS driver will not be what it used to be. You would be better served to use your degree, not your back.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

The last paragraph was the best advice. Do the pt sup gig, take the tuition reimbursement money (which, BTW, you don't get the flat $2K---you are only reimbursed for your actual costs) and move on after you graduate.

I would not recommend a driving career to anyone at this point. With the necessity that new driver's wages be adjusted downward in the near future in order to remain competitive with Ground, the career of a UPS driver will not be what it used to be. You would be better served to use your degree, not your back.
I didn't say the last paragraph, I said the last paragraph about the driving part for a reason.

Here we go again. I think is time Cheryl for a seperate Part-time supervisor / part- time workers problems forum.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

My building regularly promotes kids that haven't gone through puberty yet because being a PT supervisor is the ultimate scam more senior employees aren't willing to buy.

You'll get a modest pay bump - which, for a new hire like you - is pretty good. You'll be making $15-16/hr and salaried @ 27.5 hours/week. You'll have shoddy health insurance immediately as a supervisor - you'll get your union insurance with $0 premiums and $10 co-pays in 4 months. It varies region-to-region, but I get up to $1,500/semester or $3,000/year in reimbursement as a PT union employee. Supervisors get slightly better. If tuition reimbursement is your only real incentive, I would find out if your hub offers it for non-management before you turn in your letter.

Now for the bad: You'll be supervising people that are probably twice your age and make more money than you. You'll also be one of the most abused cogs in the UPS machine. You have little (if any) choice of where you're assigned - in my building, new supervisors cut their teeth in the training the department before being thrown into operations. If you plan on leaving after you graduate and have a degree that can land you a tangible job, it's not a bad deal. If there's a chance that you'll be staying after you graduate college (which I did), then I highly recommend you reconsider.

P.S.: Gotta love Upstate still sliding in a two-tier wage proposal in a thread about PT management prospects! I guess the checks from the UPS social media department have been clearing. I'll wager they have more cash to blow since the TNT deal fell through.

:smart:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Dont do it, its not worth it.

A grand ton falls upon you in all matters. They tell you one thing then gripe upon you that you did it, it didnt work out, yet blame you anyways. They will salt you overly. The paper work will cause you to scream. Yet, they give you 4$+ more an hour.

Its all BS, it isnt worth the stress. Just go to work, make your wage and get out. Sure you can say you need the money, or its easy work. Yet it is not easy, you are held at a higher pace then you were at. They will blame you for everything, and will fire you at a simple glance.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Good idea except the last paragraph about driving.

Depends on what they go to school for. Even with a drop in wages we would still make more than a lot of degrees. Not go mention all the worthless degrees that are dead end streets.