Approved shoes??

djkre8r

There is a previous post with my whole story. Short version... I wore Sketchers WORK Shoes! They say "work shoes" on the box along with "oil and slip resistant". I was harassed and then 3 of us were sent home (after a month of harassment). We filed and won. We won for harassment and also for supervisors working! They sent us home before they had someone there to work for us.
NEW STORY... last week we had a safety audit. One employee had on tennis shoes with NO leather on them. When asked why they didn't have one the proper shoes they replied with "when UPS provides me with shoes then I will wear what they provide for me. Until then I will wear what I have". Although I don't agree with what they said - NOTHING was said by the audit personnel and this same person continues to wear what they want. The reason I don't agree with their statement is because when you were hired they told you what they expected... Sturdy upper leather with non slip sole. Let them harass you then get them back!

Indecisi0n

I been wearing these Timberlands and they feel great. They provide support but aren't stiff at all. Great for all the "brisk walking" we do.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
One of the biggest issues, I've heard, is having mesh type designs on the shoe. And it isnt a UPS thing, its an OSHA thing. They claim a shoe with mesh is more likely to rip or tear and cause injuries. Thus being unsafe.

Im wearing a pair of Braham steel toed shoe. I was wearing the same brand, but was gray in color and mesh was easy to see on it. I switched to the black colored ones, still has mesh, they dont say anything about it. Its because it looks solid, a complete shoe with no mesh. Funny, when you first get the paper about working requirements, all it says about shoes, that they should be nonslip, thats all.

rocket man

Does anyone here know the rules on shoes? I hear about 50 different things!! Im a 7 year employee and i hear different things all the time and now its a big issue once again with our shoes on preload! I have an upper leather nice sturdy slip resistant Nike shoe. I had Under Armour which were just the same! They gave me hell about the UA and now they are saying the Nike's are unapproved also!! Can someone please help without the smart***** comments, please? Thanks!
7 years? and dont no? open toe sandles

Ptrunner

I just saw this post and wanted to weight in.

1. As safety co-chair, there is no OSHA mandate on shoes. Its a UPS Policy.
2. Wearing UPPER covered shoes that go past your Achilles weakens your Achilles, there's plenty of evidence of this. Think of basketball players, football players, they wear uppers and it doesn't prevent them from hurt ankles and also it makes sense that when they do get injured its bad because of weak ankle strength.
3. I wear sketchers work shoes with no upper, no leather, no steel toe and have been in very important meetings and not a word has been said.
4. The harassment way of dealing with it is perfect. In my building at least 50% of people have shoes with no uppers. Theres no way of enforcing this all.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'll look into it and PM you. not sure what too expensive is to you. I don't usually like to go over the $40 range (course dependent). But if the course is worth it I will gladly pay more. I paid $135 once to play in the Grand Caymans. I'll even drive up there. I got all week (except Wednesday) and you've got the rest of your life :funny:

Cementups

Box Monkey
40ish is my usual range. Look at Liberty Valley Country Club if it's not too far. My usual course.

90 minutes according to Google Maps. Not too awful as long as you're not looking to play at 8. I'd have to be up stupid early to make that tee time. LOL.

Funny though, it's quicker for me to come up there than it would be to meet "halfway" all the "halfway" courses I'm finding are an hour for each of us. I don't mind driving up there either. Always a good reason to take the ricer for a jaunt ;)