APWA Gets a Freigh Hub

705red

Browncafe Steward
Ya know red, you can't have it both ways. Teamsters continually claim that APWA is bein bankrolled by deep pockets (ie..UPS, NRTW) but when the APWA goes to their membership (because APWA is a member driven entity) to encourage financial support, you fault them for not getting enough of the soft money from the suits!! Exactly how many double standards will you try to force on the APWA? Do you reccommend they rob a bank? Like they've said all along, the members contributions have brought the APWA this far in financing the expenses associated with taking on the IBT and it will be the members contributions that will continue to fund future needs such as the informational campaign to counteract the lies the IBT is spreading in Kansas City.
Nospin the apwa is a joke now! No matter what happens at the kansas freight terminal, we will have union rights, but when the apwa goes into it knowing they dont have enough money to see this vote through theres only 1 real loser and that will be those poor ups freighters from kansas who bought into all this bs. If little danny and van cant afford to organize 1 little barn how can they even attempt to organize us? I hope this apwa goes away for ever because we now know its a farce!

brett636

Nospin the apwa is a joke now! No matter what happens at the kansas freight terminal, we will have union rights, but when the apwa goes into it knowing they dont have enough money to see this vote through theres only 1 real loser and that will be those poor ups freighters from kansas who bought into all this bs. If little danny and van cant afford to organize 1 little barn how can they even attempt to organize us? I hope this apwa goes away for ever because we now know its a farce!

I couldn't agree more. I have a feeling I am going to enjoy watching this Kansas City situation as it forces the APWA to put its money(or lack thereof) where its mouth is. I've always said I would never support the APWA because it had no proof that it can get done what it claims. Allowing them to organize a UPSF hub and seeing what they can do should be entertaining to say the least. Maybe if they do make good on their promises they would be set to organize all of UPS in 5-10 years.

brett636

Ya know red, you can't have it both ways. Teamsters continually claim that APWA is bein bankrolled by deep pockets (ie..UPS, NRTW) but when the APWA goes to their membership (because APWA is a member driven entity) to encourage financial support, you fault them for not getting enough of the soft money from the suits!! Exactly how many double standards will you try to force on the APWA? Do you reccommend they rob a bank? Like they've said all along, the members contributions have brought the APWA this far in financing the expenses associated with taking on the IBT and it will be the members contributions that will continue to fund future needs such as the informational campaign to counteract the lies the IBT is spreading in Kansas City.

blah blah blah blah, you sit there and whine about a double standard, but forget that until this point we never had any idea the amount of money the APWA was bringing in. All we knew is that dan and van could fly all over the country, renting conference centers at hotels, security for their meetings, and still be able to maintain their website and pay their lawyer. I'm sure there are several other costs that I didn't list but all of that isn't cheap. So it was safe to assume they were getting money from an unnamed and possibly corporate source. Now we know they don't have the cash on hand to organize one UPSF hub which makes all their rhetoric laughable as it proves they couldn't organize all of UPS even if they got the 30% they needed to start a vote.

sawdusttv

blah blah blah blah, you sit there and whine about a double standard, but forget that until this point we never had any idea the amount of money the APWA was bringing in. All we knew is that dan and van could fly all over the country, renting conference centers at hotels, security for their meetings, and still be able to maintain their website and pay their lawyer. I'm sure there are several other costs that I didn't list but all of that isn't cheap. So it was safe to assume they were getting money from an unnamed and possibly corporate source. Now we know they don't have the cash on hand to organize one UPSF hub which makes all their rhetoric laughable as it proves they couldn't organize all of UPS even if they got the 30% they needed to start a vote.

In other words you are saying that you were wrong about the APWA being backed by the company, and likewise you could also be wrong about the APWA members determination to see this through with our monitary support. Thus far, whenever they have asked the members for money it was there and I see no sign that it will not be there now and in the future.

brett636

In other words you are saying that you were wrong about the APWA being backed by the company, and likewise you could also be wrong about the APWA members determination to see this through with our monitary support. Thus far, whenever they have asked the members for money it was there and I see no sign that it will not be there now and in the future.

I never openly said that they were monetarily supported by the company, because that does seem a little far fetched. I just never ruled out the possibility because of how little information we had on the APWA's finances.

Now that this has surfaced it has exposed yet another fatal flaw with the APWA. It shows us they don't have the money to fight off the IBT, or even the company, in an attempt to unionize one building. If they were able to dupe the 30% of ups employees required for a national vote they wouldn't have the funds to fight that kind of war and would lose horribly. While I don't doubt there are a few supporters of the APWA I doubt very many of them would be able or willing to give them the money they would need to fund a national election campaign.

nospinzone

Brett,
I've quite frankly grown weary of exchangin opinion with you because in the end neither of us has the actual information to prove our respective points-- which is what makes it opinion. So my final word to you on this is I'll let the NLRB votes and the resulting union activity by the APWA speak for itself. I realize that even after they have succeeded you will continue to ignore the pink elephant in the room. But you always have your flawless opinion to fall back on.

satellitedriver

Re: Teamsters refuse to participate in Kansas City NLRB election

This is an email sent from danny eason, i wonder why he didnt sign it?
Red,
He sent a email under his name with an email address. That should fit the signature requirement. It was an email, not a letter or a contract.
It was a DR, not sig required.
I understand your zeal and respect it, but your post was a bit of a stretch.

tieguy

Banned
No one got kansas city! what they did get was the right for a vote and im sure the teamsters will be on the ballot. So stop spewing lies! we will see what happens with the vote when it happens until then the apwa has only won a little battle in a long war to go.

Red,

Saw some information yesterday that this particular frieght barn was teamster in 2000 and voted out the teamsters in 2002. Wouldn't that seem to be a pending win of significance for APWA?

tieguy

Banned
here's an article courtesy of the kansas city star. Correction on previous post KC was organized from 94 to 2002 when they voted the teamsters out.

By RANDOLPH HEASTER
Columnist
A rival to the Teamsters union will get a chance to organize workers at a UPS Freight Inc. terminal in Kansas City, Kan.
The National Labor Relations Board will hold a union representation election Aug. 5-7 for hourly UPS Freight workers at 3800 Kansas Ave., said Dan Hubbel, assistant director of the agency’s regional office.
About 350 drivers and dockworkers will decide whether to authorize the Association of Parcel Workers of America to become their bargaining agent.
The parcel workers association calls itself a group of more than 12,000 disgruntled UPS package workers represented by the Teamsters. A key issue for the group is reforming the pension plan, which the group says will not provide the level of promised benefits.
UPS Freight is a less-than-truckload carrier previously known as Overnite Transportation Co. The Teamsters embarked on a national organizing campaign in the mid-1990s to unionize Overnite, but ultimately failed.
Workers at the Kansas City, Kan., terminal were the first Overnite group to join the Teamsters in 1994, but they decertified the union in 2002. UPS acquired Overnite in 2005.
Van Skillman, a UPS package driver in Greensboro, N.C., is president of the parcel workers association. Skillman was in the area July 7 and 8, meeting with UPS Freight workers.
"We were setting up the structure for the campaign," said Skillman, who also returned to Kansas City this past weekend. "We’ve got really big support in Kansas City. I believe we’re going to win."
Skillman previously has said that if the association is successful here, it will move the effort to other terminals.
The Teamsters currently represent about 125 UPS Freight employees at one terminal in Indianapolis. The company and the union are in midst of negotiating a new agreement. Trucking analysts think a contract achieved there will be used by the Teamsters to try to unionize other UPS Freight terminals.
In late June, a senior UPS Freight executive sent all employees a letter saying there is no current agreement with the Teamsters to pursue a national contract at UPS Freight following the bargaining in Indianapolis. Jack Holmes, UPS Freight’s senior vice president, also dismissed the parcel workers association as an alternative to the Teamsters.
"The truth is that the APWA is a labor organization just like any other," Holmes wrote. "It relies on the same rhetoric and empty promises in its attempt to find members and build its bank accounts with dues and initiation fees."
Skillman took issue with the letter.
"The company is mistaken in saying we are like the Teamsters or any other union," he said. "We don’t want to break the company. We just want to make UPS a nicer place to work, so people will be happy and more productive."
An official for Teamsters Local 41, which represented workers at the Kansas City, Kan., truck terminal before being decertified, could not be reached for comment Friday.
To reach Randolph Heaster, call 816-234-4746 or send e-mail to
[email protected].

tieguy

Banned
so while momma told me to never count my chickens before they hatch this development certainly makes things interesting. If APWA is successful in organizing the KC overniters then they gain a measure of credibility they have not had. They then actually become a union that actually represents a group of organized workers. They will still have to prove they can handle the responsibility bestowed upon them but this would clearly be a significant step in what for them is the right direction.

While I really could care less which union ultimately wins I am excited at the prospects of two unions fighting for the members love and support. I believe the competition can only help the membership, my brothers and sisters in brown.

30andout

here's an article courtesy of the kansas city star. Correction on previous post KC was organized from 94 to 2002 when they voted the teamsters out.

By RANDOLPH HEASTER
Columnist
A rival to the Teamsters union will get a chance to organize workers at a UPS Freight Inc. terminal in Kansas City, Kan.
The National Labor Relations Board will hold a union representation election Aug. 5-7 for hourly UPS Freight workers at 3800 Kansas Ave., said Dan Hubbel, assistant director of the agency’s regional office.
About 350 drivers and dockworkers will decide whether to authorize the Association of Parcel Workers of America to become their bargaining agent.
The parcel workers association calls itself a group of more than 12,000 disgruntled UPS package workers represented by the Teamsters. A key issue for the group is reforming the pension plan, which the group says will not provide the level of promised benefits.
UPS Freight is a less-than-truckload carrier previously known as Overnite Transportation Co. The Teamsters embarked on a national organizing campaign in the mid-1990s to unionize Overnite, but ultimately failed.
Workers at the Kansas City, Kan., terminal were the first Overnite group to join the Teamsters in 1994, but they decertified the union in 2002. UPS acquired Overnite in 2005.
Van Skillman, a UPS package driver in Greensboro, N.C., is president of the parcel workers association. Skillman was in the area July 7 and 8, meeting with UPS Freight workers.
"We were setting up the structure for the campaign," said Skillman, who also returned to Kansas City this past weekend. "We’ve got really big support in Kansas City. I believe we’re going to win."
Skillman previously has said that if the association is successful here, it will move the effort to other terminals.
The Teamsters currently represent about 125 UPS Freight employees at one terminal in Indianapolis. The company and the union are in midst of negotiating a new agreement. Trucking analysts think a contract achieved there will be used by the Teamsters to try to unionize other UPS Freight terminals.
In late June, a senior UPS Freight executive sent all employees a letter saying there is no current agreement with the Teamsters to pursue a national contract at UPS Freight following the bargaining in Indianapolis. Jack Holmes, UPS Freight’s senior vice president, also dismissed the parcel workers association as an alternative to the Teamsters.
"The truth is that the APWA is a labor organization just like any other," Holmes wrote. "It relies on the same rhetoric and empty promises in its attempt to find members and build its bank accounts with dues and initiation fees."
Skillman took issue with the letter.
"The company is mistaken in saying we are like the Teamsters or any other union," he said. "We don’t want to break the company. We just want to make UPS a nicer place to work, so people will be happy and more productive."
An official for Teamsters Local 41, which represented workers at the Kansas City, Kan., truck terminal before being decertified, could not be reached for comment Friday.
To reach Randolph Heaster, call 816-234-4746 or send e-mail to
[email protected].
Oh come on Tie, you made all that up.:lol::ohmy:

brett636

Brett,
I've quite frankly grown weary of exchangin opinion with you because in the end neither of us has the actual information to prove our respective points-- which is what makes it opinion. So my final word to you on this is I'll let the NLRB votes and the resulting union activity by the APWA speak for itself. I realize that even after they have succeeded you will continue to ignore the pink elephant in the room. But you always have your flawless opinion to fall back on.

And you finally agree the true problem with the APWA is just that. Lack of information. Even you, the most knowledgable person on this forum regarding the APWA doesn't know the truth behind the organization. I only base my judgements on what sketchy information is available, and in the end that doesn't satisfy me.

Like your other cohorts on this site you try to paint me as a teamster supporter, and that couldn't be further from the truth. If a salesman comes to my house to sell me his product, and he explains the product and the price, but can't demonstrate it because it still doesn't exist at that point, why would I buy from him?

The nice part about this situation is now we get to see the APWA in action. We get to set back, and watch them either grow and prosper, or crash and burn. All without putting our current job's pay, benefits, or security in jeopardy. I'm looking forward to see how this plays out.

badpas

And you finally agree the true problem with the APWA is just that. Lack of information. Even you, the most knowledgable person on this forum regarding the APWA doesn't know the truth behind the organization. I only base my judgements on what sketchy information is available, and in the end that doesn't satisfy me.

Like your other cohorts on this site you try to paint me as a teamster supporter, and that couldn't be further from the truth. If a salesman comes to my house to sell me his product, and he explains the product and the price, but can't demonstrate it because it still doesn't exist at that point, why would I buy from him?

The nice part about this situation is now we get to see the APWA in action. We get to set back, and watch them either grow and prosper, or crash and burn. All without putting our current job's pay, benefits, or security in jeopardy. I'm looking forward to see how this plays out.

You say your not a teamster supporter either and yet you hate the apwa for what ever reasons so what your really saying is you don't want to take either or any side. Now I can live with most, especially after working for ups, but by not liking the teamsters and definately not believing in the apwa is exactly the kind of employee or member that most of us used to be and yet cannot afford to be anymore. Now waiting on the side lines to see who does better so he or she can can recieve without spending anything is maybe where you reside but for us who are trying to change our situation at the very least I would think you would want the best for other upser's even if they are upsf drivers. So how about we leave it there instead.

brett636

You say your not a teamster supporter either and yet you hate the apwa for what ever reasons so what your really saying is you don't want to take either or any side. Now I can live with most, especially after working for ups, but by not liking the teamsters and definately not believing in the apwa is exactly the kind of employee or member that most of us used to be and yet cannot afford to be anymore. Now waiting on the side lines to see who does better so he or she can can recieve without spending anything is maybe where you reside but for us who are trying to change our situation at the very least I would think you would want the best for other upser's even if they are upsf drivers. So how about we leave it there instead.

I will support whatever side benefits me the most. I am the only person responsible for my future. At the moment the current contract benefits me the most, so I will support what I am getting. If that changes then my position will change. I know it sounds cruel, but its human nature and I won't deny that. If the APWA gets the frieght hub and gets a superior agreement realtive to what we get as teamsters I will support the APWA. If not then they will not get my support.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red,

Saw some information yesterday that this particular frieght barn was teamster in 2000 and voted out the teamsters in 2002. Wouldn't that seem to be a pending win of significance for APWA?
Absolutely tie, but do you think those employees in that terminal had any idea that the apwa was out of money and basically no funds to get it to a vote, let alone enough funds to negioate them a contract?

tieguy

Banned
You know, it will be worth watching UPS in all of this. Now I know the conspiracy theorists have UPS solidly behind APWA but what I mean is where will they stand in this Battle Royal so to speak between the IBT and APWA.
Anyway, will UPS side with IBT in order to make nice for the sake of the current contract talks and also use this as a tool to get more wine and roses for themselves?

UPS?
UPS is the girl in this soap opera watching two drunken louts fight for the right to her affections. UPS knows that no matter who wins she will experience a life of beatings and screwings. :thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned
Absolutely tie, but do you think those employees in that terminal had any idea that the apwa was out of money and basically no funds to get it to a vote, let alone enough funds to negioate them a contract?

Red,
I don't think anyone is ready to proclaim APWA the champion over the teamsters. They still have a long hard road ahead of them.

But then I'm sure the teamsters started out penniless too?

Listen workers the awpa {their vice-president wors in my hub{ are just shills for UPS neither one of them has even been a SHOP STEWARD and yes I am a shop sreward in feeders in raleigh N.C. The last time I tried to talk to their president [Van Skillman] he threatened labor charges against me because he couldn't answer my questions. I consider myself a good and dedicated steward but these yahoos are only out for themselves,

tieguy

Banned
Listen workers the awpa {their vice-president wors in my hub{ are just shills for UPS neither one of them has even been a SHOP STEWARD and yes I am a shop sreward in feeders in raleigh N.C. The last time I tried to talk to their president [Van Skillman] he threatened labor charges against me because he couldn't answer my questions. I consider myself a good and dedicated steward but these yahoos are only out for themselves,

The charge of being shills for UPS is a very serious one. You as a shop steward can be charged by the NLRB if you are maliciously accusing them of being company shills. What hard evidence do you have that they are shills for UPS?