apwa : The unanswered questions

Cole

Listen, If you guys want to form your own union than go for it, its your company to do it. We at the Freight side aren't really part of your company,freight is much different than package in revenue and day to day operations. We either decide to remain non- union or Teamsters.

Absolutley the choice will be yours, just know a leopard can't change it's spots, and we that know this leopard know how it behaves. Glad to hear you have knowledge of unions, that will help you and others decide if that is what you want.

Have a good weekend!

Bill

Well said, sir. Unfortunately, you lack one thing from my perspective: credibility as an organization. It was said somewhere on here that APWA isn't even a legit union. I'd be more willing to listen to much of what you said if APWA was a genuine union. It would give you credibility where you need it most. -Rocky
Where is the credibility from the Teamsters? They tell you one thing, i.e. "best contract ever", and then immediately after the contract is ratified in 2002, big cuts start occurring. I keep hearing for years that the Teamsters are working to fix the pension problems, but it is just the same old rhetoric to appease the hard working UPS employees. The only thing that the Teamsters are improving, is the wages that the BA's are receiving ( www.unionfacts.com shows the salaries of Hoffa all the way down to your local agent). It is pretty sad when they just received a hefty 10% salary increase in one year, when we are forced to accept the cuts because of their mismanagement.

Bill

The few that buy this apwa scam not only have tunnell vision but also do not have a clue how to run a union or represent members.

It is easy to see that right to work and anti union lawyers are using our uneducated members to spread their beliefs and goals.

If ups and apwa could get rid of the Teamsters Union then it would open the gates for all employers to solicite a union free work place.

Then we could go back in time, when there was no middle class, only the rich (owners, managers, ceo's) and the poor (the workers).

The big picture is that this splinter group who spreads lies through out their newsletters is a scam and its only goal is to divide the members and disrupt the IBT goal of organizing 15,000 ups freight workers.

apwa has promised an election for over a year, they work 2 years to spread thier word and get less than 10 show up at a convention.

They have never negotiated a contract, represented workers and the only ones in my area who even attend a meeting are not stewards or union activist, they are the ones who dont believe in unions period and their only goal is to not pay dues.

Without dues there will not be agents to represent you as there will be no money, there will not be union halls or negotiating committees as there will be no money for that.

They do not have a strike fund, so I suppose UPS is just going to roll over on the mighty apwa and give them everything they ask for so their promises and dreams can come true, think about that.

Is it nospin who claims that grievances settled would be recognized by the company everywhere? Does he work for (or with) the same ups I have for 28 years. Just because you have a settlement it does not take away the company's right to violate the contract again, and when they do how is a group of unqualified and inexperienced non dues paying members going to fix it with no treasury? UPS would have a field day with this group.

By the way they promise more money in pension, better insurance, better representation, etc then why dont they tell us who the insurance is going to be with and is it guaranteed that coverage would not change? Who is going to invest our pension contributions and is it guaranteed?
How can they guarantee all of these things with out a contract or dues paying members? How can they claim that with no leverage to strike ups that they can even bargain for pension contributions or insurance rates that ups will just give them.

And as far as help from other Unions, there will be none, this group has not held up any of thier promises or goals, has made constitution articles with only 5 or 6 followers present.

They have so called representatives "all over" but no one knows who they are and by the way were any of these convention reps voted in or is it just if you drink the kool aid then your in.

DONT LET THEM DRAG YOU DOWN A PATH THAT THEY CAN NOT FIX OR IMPROVE. THESE 2 ARE OPPORTUNIST WHO HAVE NO PLAN OR CLUE WHAT TO DO.

Apwa, you and your anti-union attorneys and RTW friends will soon run out of money and get tired of being embarrased by what little support you have, unless you are now going to let grandparents and step mothers donate to your traveling expenses like you did spouses, what a joke.
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the Teamsters dragged our pension in CS down to the point where it can't be fixed? The pension is at a critical juncture, and that is why UPS in all likelihood buy us out of the pension fund.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the Teamsters dragged our pension in CS down to the point where it can't be fixed? The pension is at a critical juncture, and that is why UPS in all likelihood buy us out of the pension fund.
There you go again E79, the teamsters are not the only one responsible! E how many years do you have in cs? You are aware in a likely hood that you will still be in the cs plan after ups buys you out of the cs plan. Ups will be paying off theie portion of the fund, will most likely starting a new plan for all involved in cs as of aug 1 08, i have not seen anywhere where ups will be paying for your cs vested years into the new pension. Please correct me if im wrong on this.

SandBagger

Buckethead wrote:

We at the Freight side aren't really part of your company,freight is much different than package in revenue and day to day operations. We either decide to remain non- union or Teamsters.

You go on believing you aren't part of our company (UPS) and you will soon find out exactly what Cole meant about a leopard not changing it's spots. Around 90 days prior to our contract time I'm betting you guys will be "indoctrinated" more fully into our scope of operations and prepared to assume our Feeder schedules if the need arises. You guys are the perfect "double-breasting" element already, just waiting to be mobilized.

The only thing separating us is the precise nature of the freight we haul and that difference is already being eroded slowly but surely. UPS Package Division is increasingly turning into a heavy freight operation separated primarily by the narrowly defined LTL and single package monikers. In case you are unaware, our hundredweight service (among others) has been stealing revenue from freight companies for years and building a customer base all the while. What would normally be palletized freight is broken down to single units, shipped and delivered, to the same consignee on normally the same day. This typically consists of what we call "irregs" or "hardware" and is run through our operation by a distinctly different process. You too will eventually be integrated as a group into the UPS business model, like it or not. Why even now, your drivers are being used to pick up empty trailers at UPS facilities. That shuttle work (as a matter of past practice) has traditionally been UPS Feeder work performed by bargaining unit employees. My understanding is that Teamsters says so long as the trailers are pulled outside the gates of the facility and dropped there is no issue if the UPS Freight guys pick them up there. That my friend is erroneous because it takes hours and hours of work away from the drivers who would normally deliver those empties to their destination. Matter of fact, if you analyze it more closely, what I just described is a "meet" exchange between UPS Feeders and UPS Freight for the purpose of advancing the progress of the empty container. Strange that Teamster Leaders don't agree however....maybe my logic is flawed!

Anyway, I think you are a bit short-sighted if you think all you guys have is two choices - Teamsters or nothing. I do agree however that if you decide not to be represented by APWA that their leadership should move on and leave you alone. Unfortunately sometimes (as is apparently the case in KC) the employer plays dirty pool and illegally infulences the outcome of the vote. Then of course there are other external factors working hard to skew the results as well...i.e. the Teamsters attack on APWA outside the KC walls when they didn't even have a place on the ballot. It really worries me when I see the Company and the Teamsters working so hard for the same outcome, and I hope you see the implications as well. At any rate, when something unlawful is done it neccessitates a legal challenge to prevent it from recurring. That is an unfortunate truth that KC employees will have to deal with however it is represented.

Either way, good luck to you guys in Freight and I hope whatever tack you choose works out for you! As time moves forward you're certainly gonna see exactly what kind of outfit you're really working for, and it ain't gonna make you do a Mexican hat dance! Well, maybe it will, but that's another story just now crossing the border and heading our way.....

Buckethead

SB:
I'm betting you guys will be "indoctrinated" more fully into our scope of operations and prepared to assume our Feeder schedules if the need arises. You guys are the perfect "double-breasting" element already, just waiting to be mobilized.
Are you saying that we will be utilized as scabs, I must be mistaken.
I flat refuse to take work away, or undermine any other employee's efforts especially those under contract.

SB:
That shuttle work (as a matter of past practice) has traditionally been UPS Feeder work performed by bargaining unit employees. My understanding is that Teamsters says so long as the trailers are pulled outside the gates of the facility and dropped there is no issue if the UPS Freight guys pick them up there. That my friend is erroneous because it takes hours and hours of work away from the drivers who would normally deliver those empties to their destination. Matter of fact, if you analyze it more closely, what I just described is a "meet" exchange between UPS Feeders and UPS Freight for the purpose of advancing the progress of the empty container. Strange that Teamster Leaders don't agree however....maybe my logic is flawed!
This again, is what I consider taking work away from other employees. I will not do it knowingly. If there were more like me this would not even be an issue.

SB:
Anyway, I think you are a bit short-sighted if you think all you guys have is two choices - Teamsters or nothing.
I did not say Teamsters or nothing, I said Teamsters or non-union. Do you think we are nothing if we vote non-union? I've had enough of your kind of thinking. I'm not collecting welfare, I'm not a burden on the system, I pay taxes, I work 5 days a week, earn a pay check, and I am non-union. I wouldn't call being non-union nothing.

Teamsters or Non-union. I prefer Teamsters. With out them where would you be? In the same situation I'm in, that's where.

Who is the one that's short sighted?