Archives

T

tieguy

"Look like we have a real Business Major here in Cost accounting
Profit per package would actually go down on increased COGS. You would have to ship tons more volumne to offset the increase."

Daytona , again your about the rudist person asking for advice I have ever seen. If your really a business major and not some facet of the mbe game on here than you would easily understand my point that the guys cost per package would go down and his profit per package would increase. If not then I don't have the time nor desire to provide you with an education.

C

capnroxxor

BTW what is that link at the top for "UPS Authorized"? That is not a UPS Store but an independant pack and ship store! Theres more DHL/Airborne mentioned in the site than UPS! Looks like they snuck in on you guys! It changes in rotation, but this is the direct link:

{deleted by moderator for violation of TOS}

(Message edited by capnroxxor on January 19, 2004)

D

dannyboy

First off this is a private site. The owner of this site can at her dicretion, advertise what she wants. And if you are offended by the offerings, you can leave the same way you entered.

Secondly, I had today off and went with the customer exec to the UPS store. While there I did get some sweet answers that have been a bit mis-represented on this site.

One is that UPS discounts shipments to the UPS store at 60%. That means that there is a 40% gross profit on the sales of goods.

On packages that are just droped off and not shipped over the counter (ARS, ASD, ETC) they make a .60 net profit on each one, and all they have to do is scan it into the computer.

Now, explain to me, since all you store front owners think you are so smart.

Pretend I own a store. I have two employees working the store. In the month of November they sold $10,000 worth of goods. Then in December they sold $20,000. If my costs for labor, building rent, utilities etc were they same then I would have made a much higher profit margin in December than in November.

I figure this whole thread is nothing more than a scam run by those that dont have a clue, of very likely by mbe who has found a back door in.

I figure the whole bunch of you are a waste of time, instead of actually wanting help or information.

d

F

feederdryver

hmmm Yellow's non-union daughter company is Jevic. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Jevic took over most of Preston's (Yellow's union sister company )customers when they closed the doors.

Yellow buys out Roadway (union) and assumes their accounts.

Now.. could Jevic buy out Yellow and assume everything?

and then will UPS Logistics (non-union) buy out Jevic??

hmmmmmmmm this can really get interesting.

I'll settle for the high explosives under the seat.
Since I never "goof-off" (except at home), I would have nothing to worry about.

What can "Yellow" do for you?

Dollars for Zollars and a few for Eskew.

B

brown39

UPS is not interested in a broken down loser like this....UPS will wait for the final bankrupcy and watch as more teamsters are without work. Another success story for Hoffa to run on. More pension funds diverted.

R

rushfan

so will we modify the package cars to carry pallets? What will be an overweight. What will we code the time if we can't get sufficient help to unload the pallet. What will we paint the package cars. Oh boy not a new paint scheme. I can see it now brown with an orange stripe.
I can only imagine the problems the "buyout" will cause. Oh no! the MBE guys will come up with some new conspiracy theroy.
Why are yellow trucks orange,
why is the sky blue,
why do birds sing.

(Message edited by rushfan on January 20, 2004)

C

capnroxxor

My my, Danny. You are the most invasive driver I have ever met! Checking out MBE's finacial papers, and now visiting UPS Stores for internal information! I thought you were a driver! Do you have management ambitions or are you just that nosy? Maybe you can be an account exec instead of doing all that dirty labor you have little interest in. Ill throw one out for you in the meantime: What is the LOST revenue on the internet dropoff vs the customer shipping the package through the store? Isnt UPS itself eroding the customer base of its own store by concurrently promoting internet shipping and a storefront? Would you think that promoting signing up for UPS accounts in a UPS Store would be suicide for the storeowner? Also what is your opinion of a UPS driver that turns in sales leads from UPS Store customers? Lets say a local business ships all its packages through a UPS STore and the driver notices the business name on the package and turns it in for the sales lead comission. What would you think of that practice?

D

dannyboy

"most invasive driver I have ever met! Checking out MBE's finacial papers, and now visiting UPS Stores for internal information! I thought you were a driver! Do you have management ambitions or are you just that nosy? "

Nope, just getting facts. You see, now I know how much lying has been going on here by you and others.

"Maybe you can be an account exec instead of doing all that dirty labor you have little interest in."

Boy are you full of $*#T today or what. If I wanted something else I would have taken the opertunity when it came as UPS was expanding into Germany. I happen to love what I do, unlike yourself.

"Also what is your opinion of a UPS driver that turns in sales leads from UPS Store customers?"

As I have stated before, customer information is privileged and private and I never share it with anyone, and that means anyone. But I guess you dont understand ethics and commitment, as is evident in your posts.

Ive said all I care to say on the matter, and as for me, the thread is closed.

d

D

dannyboy

Rush

We would not handle the pallets. They would come into your center on pallets, then be broken down for the delivery. They do that now with zoneskip packages(or rather the companies that zoneskip our packages.)

I believe that there are much larger fish in the pond for us to take over. Think along the lines of the Bundepost example.

d

I

isguy

{deleted by moderator for violation of TOS}

Please help a newbie for translation of the above line. What's TOS?

Thanks

C

capnroxxor

Obviously you are not running the numbers correctly. Since when does any UPS Store get 60% incentive on Ground? What other "lies" have you uncovered Inspector Gadget? How far into the books of the UPS Store did you delve into? Any real numbers would be appreciated. Im not interested in package counts, either.

C

cheryl

isguy,

Welcome to the Brown Cafe

TOS stands for terms of service

This is a really great group with an excellent sense of humor and things like TOS violations don't really happen too often. The most frequent TOS violations here are occasional offensive language, spam (advertising) or copyright violations.

Conversation guidelines:

Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-board. It is inappropriate to say anything on a discussion board about any individual or entity that you would not be prepared to say to them face-to-face.

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals, their ideas or their situation. The latter is considered to be a flame and will not be tolerated.

Everyone that has been here for a while is probably sick of seeing me paste the following joke... but I'll post it here for the newbies:

The Twelve Commandments of Flaming

1. Make things up about your opponent: It's important to make your lies sound true. Preface your argument with the word "clearly."
"Clearly, Brian Hillis is a racist, and a dirtball to boot."

2. Be an armchair psychologist: You're a smart person. You've heard of Freud. You took a psychology course in college. Clearly, you're qualified to psychoanalyze your opponent. "Peach Pshawski, by using the word 'zucchini' in her posting, shows she has a bad case of ... "

3. Cross-post your flames: Everyone on the net is just waiting for the next literary masterpiece to leave your terminal. From OPINION to EZ-READER to PETS to CHIT-CHAT, they're all holding their breaths until your next flame. Therefore, post everywhere.

4. Conspiracies abound: If everyone's against you, the reason can't possibly be that you're a jerk. There's obviously a conspiracy against you, and you will be doing the entire net a favor by exposing it.

5. Lawsuit threats: This is the reverse of Commandment #4 (sort of like the Yin & Yang of flaming). Threatening a lawsuit is always considered to be in good form. "By saying that I've posted to the wrong group, Didley has libelled me, slandered me, and sodomized me. See you in court, Didley."

6. Force them to document their claims: Even if Ralph Gagliano states outright that he likes tomato sauce on his pasta, you should demand documentation. If Newsweek hasn't written an article on Ralph's pasta preferences, then Ralph's obviously lying.

7. Use foreign phrases: French is good, but Latin is the lingua franca of flaming. You should use the words "ad hominem" at least three times per article. Other favorite Latin phrases are "ad nauseum," "vini, vidi, vici," "fetuccini alfredo,"...

8. Tell 'em how smart you are: Why use intelligent arguments to convince them you're smart when all you have to do is tell them? State that you're a member of Mensa or Mega or Dorks of America. Tell them the scores you received on every exam since high school. "I got an 800 on my SATs, LSATs, GREs, MCATs, and I can also spell the word 'premeiotic.'"

9. Accuse your opponent of censorship. It is your inalienable right to post whatever the hell you want to the net. Anyone who tries to limit your cross-posting or move a flame war to alt.fan.karl-malden.nose is either a communist, a fascist, or both.

10. Doubt their existence: You've never actually seen your opponent, have you? And since you're the center of the universe, you should have seen them by now, shouldn't you? Therefore, they do not exist! This is the beauty of flamers' logic.

11. Lie, cheat, steal, leave the toilet seat up.

12. When in doubt, insult: If you forget the other 11 rules, remember this one. At some point during your wonderful career as a flamer, you will undoubtedly end up in a flame war with someone who is better than you. This person will expose your lies, tear apart your arguments, make you look generally like a bozo. At this point, there's only one thing to do: insult the dirtbag!!! "Oh yeah? Well, your mother does strange things with ... "

B

brown_blood

If you have not already heard, there is a Big Announcement on Thursday. We have been instructed that we should plan to spend Thursday and Friday calling our customers regarding the news. Speculation is that UPS is buying an LTL: Roadway, Yellow or maybe

T

tieguy

I'm hearing the same thing big announcement coming possibly as early as wednesday. Divison managers all sworn to secrecy.

T

tieguy

"Obviously you are not running the numbers correctly. Since when does any UPS Store get 60% incentive on Ground? What other "lies" have you uncovered Inspector Gadget? How far into the books of the UPS Store did you delve into? Any real numbers would be appreciated. Im not interested in package counts, either."

Ah the captainrotgut has been exposed and is now desperately trying to throw up a dodge.

B

brown39

As usual, these losers from fdx/mbe continue to attempt to cloud the real issue...their failure. As usual, these losers BLAME someone ELSE. Their failure to accept RESPONSIBILITY is the issue here. Yes, the UPS rates were LOWERED, causing a loss in revenue, however, the business plan they accepted HAD THAT ISSUE in it !!!! So, now their OWN shortcomings come into play and now THAT IS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT. .. WRONG.

M

mbeups

"Lemme see, cost of sales. Seems to me that ought to include labor, as that is a cost of your sales."

Dannyboy--it works like this in the business world.

sales-COS=GP GP-all other costs=Net Profit

Under the GS program stores can not continue to operate at the margins they are with the huge increases in volume of packages. As when you reach a certain level you will need to hire additonal employees and then the store is back in the hole all over again. The hiring of one full time employee costs approximately 25-30k a year. The current increase in profit on UPS Shipping does not support the hiring of an additonal employee even with a 100% increase in volume.

"Hey AUPSS - What caused the 65% increase of COGS?"

UPS did with their GS contract they assured themselves of a heftly increase while squeezing the stores, many to the brink of extinction.

(Message edited by mbeups on January 21, 2004)

B

brownmonster

My feeling on this issue is...oh, that's right, I don't care! As long as T. Giles keeps getting his checks.