Are benefits paid if I go out on disability for a non workplace injury?

balland chain

Hi any help would be appreciated.. I will need surgery for my elbow.. This is not a workers comp injury. My question is does UPS pay our benefits if we are out on disability ? If so for how long.. Thanks

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Under the family leave act they are paid. You must get approval from UPS as many day before hand as possible. Take a vacation/optional day on the week of your surgery to be safe..

balland chain

Thanks,, I may need to call my BA.. I have been out on comp for over a year and I am now having other problems not related to my injury.. I don't have any vacation time accrued , but I do have FMLA, but since I have not worked in over a year I don't think I have any FMLA time accrued either..Thanks for your help.. Getting old sucks.. I am about to get released for my comp injury ( two surgeries) and now my elbow may require a surgery. Thanks again..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you asked your doctor if he concurs?

I was having issues with my elbows and went to my doctor also thinking it was not work related. Turns out it was (repetitive motion) and after surgery to release the ulnar nerve I have had no problems. 2 weeks off, 2 weeks of light duty and I was good to go.