Are house stops getting out of hand?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was making a delivery on a residential street and watched in amazement as this UPSF driver hauling what appeared to be a 53' (could have been smaller) down the same street and then he decides to park on the wrong side of the street with no 4 ways or anything and barely enough room between him and the parked cars for me to squeeze through to make his delivery. I just shook my head in disbelief as I made my way by his truck. The logo may say UPS but the mindset is still Overnite.

sppollock

I was making a delivery on a residential street and watched in amazement as this UPSF driver hauling what appeared to be a 53' (could have been smaller) down the same street and then he decides to park on the wrong side of the street with no 4 ways or anything and barely enough room between him and the parked cars for me to squeeze through to make his delivery. I just shook my head in disbelief as I made my way by his truck. The logo may say UPS but the mindset is still Overnite.

You say this like we may have did something wrong. The driver was giving a residental delivery with a 48 ft. trailer. We need to fix that part first, residentals should be delivered with at the max. a 32 foot trailer. The driver parked on the wrong side of the street, was this one of those small streets that it may be safer because of the block ending and he/she needs to make a sharp turn right away. The 4-way thing is the only thing I think you have a gripe about. Also remember, we have big items to carry that usually way 100lbs or more to deliver to a residental by ourselves, and we need to safely do this. I never worked for Overnite/Motor Cargo, I was hired directly into UPS Freight, and to deliver a residental safely with no injury to myself I will park on the wrong side of the street.

I agree these guys that jump in these litte small pack trucks and whip in and out whenever and where ever they please would never understand and thats the point im making management has the same mind set as this guy that said that bull!!!! if u have never had to carry that size vehicle into a area full of cars, kids, low trees low power lines tight turns and much more u would just shake ur head out of pure ignorance and lack of knowing what that driver is faced with. Think before u let the ups management way flow out of ur mouth!!! lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree these guys that jump in these litte small pack trucks and whip in and out whenever and where ever they please would never understand and thats the point im making management has the same mind set as this guy that said that bull!!!! if u have never had to carry that size vehicle into a area full of cars, kids, low trees low power lines tight turns and much more u would just shake ur head out of pure ignorance and lack of knowing what that driver is faced with. Think before u let the ups management way flow out of ur mouth!!! lol

Yeah, it's really tough to figure out which side of the road your delivery is going to be on and then park accordingly. Parking a 53'er on the wrong side of the road in a residential neighborhood has got to be one of the stupidest things I have seen in a long time. No, I am not a "real truck driver" and have absolutely no desire to be one, but I do know what is safe and what is not and this is unsafe, period. Justify it any way you like, it is an unsafe practice.

City Driver

its a residential neighborhood, the truck shouldnt be there at all, but why does the side of the street he park on even matter? whats the big deal about that?? whats so very unsafe about that? its not like its a busy street or something

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

its a residential neighborhood, the truck shouldnt be there at all, but why does the side of the street he park on even matter? whats the big deal about that?? whats so very unsafe about that? its not like its a busy street or something

Let's see---there were cars parked on both sides and he was parked such that it was very hard for cars coming off of the side street to see past his trailer before pulling out. He was making a liftgate delivery so wanted to get as close to the stop as possible, which I fully understand, but had he come down the street from the other direction he would have been able to park properly and still make his delivery. When he was done he had to go across the flow of traffic to get in to his travel lane. I barely had enough room to get my pkg car between him and the parked cars.

Your first sentence said it all--he shouldn't have been there in the first place. This delivery should have been done in a much smaller vehicle (24'?).

City Driver

the problem is we dont have any pups with liftgates and we only run 2 straight trucks

we have a 34 foot liftgate but it only goes to 1 side of town........basically we are short on equipment

bluehdmc

the problem is ........basically we are short on equipment

Welcome to the world of UPS, in feeders you have drivers sharing tractors with over 1 million miles on them, often the seats are shot, they're wobbly, the shock on the seat is shot, (hit a bump it bottoms out, unless you've got it so high your head hits the ceiling), if your lucky the a/c works, but I've had them with only 1 fan spd, when you ask for something else they say, "That's all we've got." (Rejects from the junk yard.)
They've all got a nice coat of paint on them though, although I've seen duct tape over some body damage, just painted brown.

sppollock

Let's see---there were cars parked on both sides and he was parked such that it was very hard for cars coming off of the side street to see past his trailer before pulling out. He was making a liftgate delivery so wanted to get as close to the stop as possible, which I fully understand, but had he come down the street from the other direction he would have been able to park properly and still make his delivery. When he was done he had to go across the flow of traffic to get in to his travel lane. I barely had enough room to get my pkg car between him and the parked cars.

Your first sentence said it all--he shouldn't have been there in the first place. This delivery should have been done in a much smaller vehicle (24'?).

Again, we agree on some of what you just said. Delivery should of been made with smaller epuipment. We have enough 28 and 32 foot trailers, but management makes us take residentals out in 48 foot trailers.

I dont know the area you live in, but here it is safer and easier to go in one direction with this size trailer then it is the other, again I am only speaking of my small part of the world.

It is going to take an accident for UPS Freight to get back to residentals being put back on smaller equipment. Here they took away our straight truck and replaced it with a 32 foot liftgate.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Welcome to the world of UPS, in feeders you have drivers sharing tractors with over 1 million miles on them, often the seats are shot, they're wobbly, the shock on the seat is shot, (hit a bump it bottoms out, unless you've got it so high your head hits the ceiling), if your lucky the a/c works, but I've had them with only 1 fan spd, when you ask for something else they say, "That's all we've got." (Rejects from the junk yard.)
They've all got a nice coat of paint on them though, although I've seen duct tape over some body damage, just painted brown.

Though I completely agree with you, from some of the recycled Overnite junk I see UPSF using, it seems our cousins are well used to having to work with crap too.

City Driver

why cant we get tractors that nice!

seriously if you saw some of these city tractors we run youd be amazed......mechanic told me we got a few in our fleet with more then 2 million miles on them

i hate the 17 series POS 8 speeds, dont even have air bags......and basically nothing on these tractors work

Yeah, it's really tough to figure out which side of the road your delivery is going to be on and then park accordingly. Parking a 53'er on the wrong side of the road in a residential neighborhood has got to be one of the stupidest things I have seen in a long time. No, I am not a "real truck driver" and have absolutely no desire to be one, but I do know what is safe and what is not and this is unsafe, period. Justify it any way you like, it is an unsafe practice.
lmao!!!!!! Dude u cant be serious!!! not only are u not a "truck driver" ur not a driver at all ur the one that police should pull and take the licence out ur pocket!!! in a residential the streets are tight anyway and no matter wat side ur parked on its dangerous which is why i agree with city driver in saying we shouldnt be in there on those size vehicles and until u learn to drive or walk a mile in our shoes dont knock wat we do to get the job done!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

lmao!!!!!! Dude u cant be serious!!! not only are u not a "truck driver" ur not a driver at all ur the one that police should pull and take the licence out ur pocket!!! in a residential the streets are tight anyway and no matter wat side ur parked on its dangerous which is why i agree with city driver in saying we shouldnt be in there on those size vehicles and until u learn to drive or walk a mile in our shoes dont knock wat we do to get the job done!!!!

Yawn.

P

pickup

for me to squeeze through to make his delivery - did you mean to say for "me to squeeze through to make MY delivery"?. I assume that "as you made your way by his truck" that you meant while you where driving in your package car.

If all my assumptions are correct, then here is why I think why he parked the way he did. He wanted to allow as much room as possible for traffic to get by. If he had parked on the correct side of the street, his passenger side would have been next to the parked cars. It is hard to see how much distance is between the front right corner of your tractor and an object. It is easy to do it when you can stick the object is on your driver's side. You were able to get by . Had he parked on the correct side of the street, he would have probably not have been able to get as close to the parked cars on the right side and you would have not been able to get by.

I wasn't there so maybe I am wrong. Still, he should have had his four ways on.

Hump a NordicTrack up six flights of stairs and get a taste of what its like to walk in a package drivers shoes.

Hump a NordicTrack up six flights of stairs and get a taste of what its like to walk in a package drivers shoes.
Ha!!!!!!!! u talking bout a package driver with a weight limit of 100 pds and cant even touch a box of haz-mat????? Please!!!! thats nothing try pulling 10 pallets of tile weighing 2500 pds plus onto a short lift gate and then up a drive way on a hill BY UR SELF! we all as drivers of ups have certain situations that make our jobs tough all im saying is dont knock the next man if u havent been there

Ha!!!!!!!! u talking bout a package driver with a weight limit of 100 pds and cant even touch a box of haz-mat????? Please!!!! thats nothing try pulling 10 pallets of tile weighing 2500 pds plus onto a short lift gate and then up a drive way on a hill BY UR SELF! we all as drivers of ups have certain situations that make our jobs tough all im saying is dont knock the next man if u havent been there

You mean like you did in post #32? Besides,a real driver could get his truck in the driveway and deliver right off the gate.

You mean like you did in post #32? Besides,a real driver could get his truck in the driveway and deliver right off the gate.
did u really just say get his truck in the driveway????????????? That tells me that u really and truly dont understand wat we as freight drivers go through our trailers are longer than the driveway it self in most cases and in a subdivision u are not and repeat not gonna be able to swing into a drive and the weight of our unit will crack the driveway even if we could

did u really just say get his truck in the driveway????????????? That tells me that u really and truly dont understand wat we as freight drivers go through our trailers are longer than the driveway it self in most cases and in a subdivision u are not and repeat not gonna be able to swing into a drive and the weight of our unit will crack the driveway even if we could

Like I said,a real driver.