Are part-timers required to "punch out" before using the "can"

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
At the risk of giving management any ideas, if the bathroom wasn't air conditioned they could cut way down on bathroom breaks.... just speaking from the perspective of someone who works in a solar oven/feeder.

At the same time, if everyone waited for their 10 minute break to use the bathroom, they'd spend their break waiting in line to take a piss. I drink at least a gallon of water per shift to stay hydrated, a bathroom break at some point is inevitable. I'm gonna do it on their time, every time, not on my lousy 10 minute break.
lol it's true, could you imagine the bathroom lines?? I usually try n wait till the end of my shift, but I'll be damned if I'm pissing on my time. In my hub of 300+ drivers, there are 2 female drivers and one female loader. So, the closest women's bathroom is in small sort on the other side of the building from my work assignment. It takes five min to walk there and five to walk back. But the men's room is six feet away lol.

Last edited:

Buck Fifty

Far as im concerned, they new i used the bathroom when they hired me. I will punch out for some time if everything doesnt come out ok. Yet only from the time where it went arye or i get to playing with it too much. Psrt time never.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
At the risk of giving management any ideas, if the bathroom wasn't air conditioned they could cut way down on bathroom breaks.... just speaking from the perspective of someone who works in a solar oven/feeder.

At the same time, if everyone waited for their 10 minute break to use the bathroom, they'd spend their break waiting in line to take a piss. I drink at least a gallon of water per shift to stay hydrated, a bathroom break at some point is inevitable. I'm gonna do it on their time, every time, not on my lousy 10 minute break.

A/C in the bathroom? Wow. Must be paradise. Here, only management offices have A/C. Or heat that goes above 45.

We have enough toilets / urinals in our Input to accommodate a good third of us simultaneously. But occasionally somebody will crap in one of the urinals and they'll seal a restroom off.

FilingBluesFL

There's nothing worse than unloading a trailer with somebody who filled up on White Castles, has to use the potty but is told to wait until the trailer's done. Requires nasal irrigation on my end.

If I knew I was going to have a safety eval. when working preload, the night before I'd eat as much junk food as I could to make my bowels as angry as possible without having to make bathroom runs lol We had some cool pre-load sup's, but before I went full time, we got a real schmuck in the back that I was always butting heads with.

After I went full-time, the guy they hired to replace me, was in a rail one day. Someone from the hub it came from decided to take a crap in the rail, and built a wall around it. The guy who replaced me, got his paws in it, and instead of doing the smart thing, he wiped his hands off on his shirt, pants, and walked around the rest of the morning smelling and looking like crap lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If I knew I was going to have a safety eval. when working preload, the night before I'd eat as much junk food as I could to make my bowels as angry as possible without having to make bathroom runs lol We had some cool pre-load sup's, but before I went full time, we got a real schmuck in the back that I was always butting heads with.

After I went full-time, the guy they hired to replace me, was in a rail one day. Someone from the hub it came from decided to take a crap in the rail, and built a wall around it. The guy who replaced me, got his paws in it, and instead of doing the smart thing, he wiped his hands off on his shirt, pants, and walked around the rest of the morning smelling and looking like crap lol
That is just horrifying on so many levels lmao.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I work in a state that doesn't require break periods and part-timers aren't contractually given break periods; because of this, the time cards for PT'ers cannot have an unpaid "split."

There are a few guys that abuse it (going to the bathroom/break room 6+ times a night and walking around) but the vast majority do not. I encourage everyone to go take a 5-10 minute "de facto" break to splash water on their face and stand in the AC for a few minutes when it's hot out.

What's the moral of this story? The South ****ing sucks if you work for a living.

UPSGUY72

I punch in and punch out once a day if they asked me to punch out as a PT to go to the bathroom I would punch out and go home. But than again I'm a driver.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I work in a state that doesn't require break periods and part-timers aren't contractually given break periods; because of this, the time cards for PT'ers cannot have an unpaid "split."

There are a few guys that abuse it (going to the bathroom/break room 6+ times a night and walking around) but the vast majority do not. I encourage everyone to go take a 5-10 minute "de facto" break to splash water on their face and stand in the AC for a few minutes when it's hot out.

What's the moral of this story? The South ****ing sucks if you work for a living.

Few states (literally less than a half-dozen) mandate breaks. At UPS, PT breaks are addressed in the local/regional riders; mine's covered in the central states supplement.

Despite the 10 minute break, we have a large number of Preloaders who use the bathroom multiple times on the clock. At one point, an overzealous FT manager had the supervisors keep track of when people requested the bathroom, when they actually use the bathroom & for how long, and how many people actually used the rest room on break. It demonstrated that we had Preloaders who would request to use the bathroom, be told to wait a few minutes till break, then not use it during break (or wait until after it's been called over) & request again afterward.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Are part-timers required to "punch out" before using the "can"

The day they tell me to clock out when I pee is the day I start driving 10 miles back into town to the nearest urinal instead of just pulling over in the woods and finding a bush to water.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Pissing in a drug store bathroom is not required to clock out, buying a candy bar or drink on the way out is. Don't believe me, go ask someone on the national panel.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Pissing in a drug store bathroom is not required to clock out, buying a candy bar or drink on the way out is. Don't believe me, go ask someone on the national panel.

Candy bar, maybe, but getting a drink? If someone was fired for that they should have been on the phone to OSHA right away.

A

anonymous6

I think we have been over this 4,356 times. the Supreme Court ruled on this. bathroom breaks come under paid time.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Back when I worked inside in the sort aisle we'd have 2 guys every night on that final push at the end of the night who would disappear to the bathroom for 15-20 min

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I think we have been over this 4,356 times. the Supreme Court ruled on this. bathroom breaks come under paid time.

State Supreme Courts may have ruled this, but the federal SC hasn't. It's accepted as a states' issue and the conservative majority of the federal SC has rarely ruled in favor of labor anyway.

This was a topic in my business law class a year or so back: an employer cannot prohibit bathroom breaks, but it has the right to ask the employee to cock out to do so - unless local law dictates otherwise (and unless you live in one of the few very bight blue states, it likely doesn't). OSHA use to champion against this, but changed its stance to indifference under the Bush Administration.

UPS Preloader

I punch in and punch out once a day if they asked me to punch out as a PT to go to the bathroom I would punch out and go home. But than again I'm a driver.

Same here... If they asked me to punch out to got the bathroom, I would punch out, go home, and use my own bathroom.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Same here... If they asked me to punch out to got the bathroom, I would punch out, go home, and use my own bathroom.

You'd be fired for job abandonment, and it'd likely stick. You're not being asked to punch out & go home ... just punch out & use the rest room.