Are "scratch" drivers looked down upon by other drivers?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just because a guy scratches a route it doesn't mean he's speeding and/or running. Maybe he's not screwing around. Our legs are meant to run and jump, and I've torn my shoulder up holding on to that damn handrail and pulling in the mirrors at every stop. Where's the spring to show how much negative force we place on our shoulder when we do those out of range motions? And some contracts allow us to NOT take a lunch, so other drivers need to mind their own business. If it gets taken out of your pay, take it. If you go out with 12 hour dispatches every day, take it. If you have straight business deliveries up until pickup time, take it. These are the only real instances I can think of where UPS can take advantage of their drivers and cut important routes. If I get a 10 or 11 hour dispatch I just grind it out so I can get home and feed the kids dinner before bedtime. Why stay out an extra hour on top of that?

Whether your contract allows you to NOT take a lunch you should at least eat something during the day.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
When you can look at your center manager and without showing any emotion tell them,"those numbers mean absolutely nothing to me",life at UPS gets,noticeably,more tolerable.

PT Car Washer

The work ethic has gone to hell, I'm shocked at some of the drivers they let slide through these days.
Last year my building was ordered to fill so many FT driver slots before Peak. They did manage to fill the slots but maybe with not the best candidates. After January a lot of them have been laid off and working inside the building.

Bottom rung

The work ethic has gone to hell, I'm shocked at some of the drivers they let slide through these days.
I'm pacing myself.
1,300,000 the number of deliveries a new service provider will make in a thirty year carrer. Average 200 a day. 46 weeks a year, thirty years.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Because all you guys do is talk about numbers. The entire system is based on flawed metrics that you guys preach. Hell, you guys take the time to compile it into reports and charts every single day, to report to us.

Eventually some drivers are bound to care about it when they're told it's important everyday of the year.

Get it?
There is a common post I see almost everyday on here.

"It's their numbers. Work all day at a fair and safe pace. A fair days work for a fair days pay."

Why would you care about other guy's numbers if you don't even care about your own? It doesn't make sense.

HardknocksUPSer

Yeah. There's a driver in our center who burns it up everyday. Then when he bids on another route.. the person taking his old route can't do it
Doesn't suprise me. I can look at a bid routes load and tell if there's a cover driver running it that paticular day, it's way heavier when there's a cover driver on the route.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Wait..scratch is bad now? What's next, 2 hrs over is the new cool norm? In my center nobody cares about anything, we are all miserable with to much work as we watch the company and our pension go down the toilet. HAPPY SUNDAY!

Bottom rung

There is a common post I see almost everyday on here.

"It's their numbers. Work all day at a fair and safe pace. A fair days work for a fair days pay."

Why would you care about other guy's numbers if you don't even care about your own? It doesn't make sense.
What exactly are you fishing for with this one? Or do we need to just leave you alone when you post stuff like this?

noahgw92

Down here in Austin I feel like everyone is about their numbers. Yeah we make good money but is that money good enough to slowly kill yourself cause that's what your doing. I have been a runner before only to find out that I'm still over aloud on time by sometimes an hour or more. People have went soo fast on the routes that it makes it nearly impossible to bonus any more. One older guy says he won't go out unless he has at least 200 stops on his truck and he still bonuses everyday getting back in by 1830 or so. I'm still on preload and not only is it hard on the driver its hard on the preloader too. They have so many boxes you can't put them all on the shelves and eventually end up bricking the whole truck out to where you can't fit another single package in there. Since everyone down here cares about their numbers they all have bricked out truck so we are still loading 4 trucks but way more packages than others. Don't worry the supervisors will adjust your numbers on your trucks to make it look like your only loading 1100 packages, and now my load charts are inaccurate. I'm talking squeezing onto a truck to where you can't even twist your feet because there is no room... It's frustrating.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The scratch drivers in my building are usually the one ones who speed,run,work unsafely,skip lunch and pretty much kill themselves to be off the clock early. They are also the most vocal when it comes to not having a clue as to why their stop count keeps going up,and love to say things like " the company is screwing me" or They Treat people differently around here!"

they are usually pretty good entertainment in the mornings

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Here's a way to simplify this thread...just follow the methods every day every time. That usually works everything out from safety to service to getting done. There is absolutely no reason to "run and gun". If your methods are flawless, you can work smooth and execute a good,safe work pace that takes care of you and your customers.

And at the end of the day, the company will still make a lot of money. A very good methods driver will make the company money by not having accidents, injuries or service failures. Do this for a 35 year career or so and everyone wins.