Are Service Dogs Allowed?

I am returning to work with a service dog. I am getting ALOT of push back from UPS about needing a service dog. Does anyone out there know of any UPS employee with a service dog?

I have never seen a service dog at UPS before but maybe something could be worked out. If I were you, I would try to locate an attorney who has some experience dealing with the Americans With Disabilities Act. He/she would be far more helpful than most of us. We are just guessing here.

Thanks. I was just wondering if anyone has seen a service dog at UPS at all. It seems like they really worried about someone having a service dog at work.

Thanks. I was just wondering if anyone has seen a service dog at UPS at all. It seems like they really worried about someone having a service dog at work.

I would think you are protected under federal law. I`m at one of the biggest buildings and I have not seen one but there are lots of places one could exist.

moreluck

golden ticket member
There was a fundraiser here locally last year to get a 2 yr. old with Type 1 Diabetes, a Diabetes Service Dog. I'd never even heard of that before. She got her dog and it was a golden retriever. I know they help with epilepsy too.

I believe its because the dogs can actually smell an episode coming from the changes in the human body and alert the person or a caretaker before it gets out of control. There have been some dogs trained to detect some cancers also.

UPSGUY72

I am returning to work with a service dog. I am getting ALOT of push back from UPS about needing a service dog. Does anyone out there know of any UPS employee with a service dog?

What was your job at UPS before you got injured ??

If it was other than a office job your are out of luck the Americans With Disabilities Act isn't going to help you because the dog becomes a safety issue both for you, your brother and sisters, and the dog. If you worked in an office things might be different.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What was your job at UPS before you got injured ??

If it was other than a office job your are out of luck the Americans With Disabilities Act isn't going to help you because the dog becomes a safety issue both for you, your brother and sisters, and the dog. If you worked in an office things might be different.
While I totally love the guide and service dog programs, I cannot think of a job at UPS office or otherwise, I would subject such an animal to.
Or yourself. If your injuries, impairments require a service animal, I just dont see it at UPS. But I have been wrong before.

Very nice. No, I'm not blind. That would be a Guide Dog. Hopefully you are not in HR.

Just as a piece of friendly advice, I would say that most people don't know the difference between a Guide Dog and a Service Dog. You may want to cut people some slack in that regard. As they say, it is easier to catch flies with honey rather than vinegar.

Back to your original question, yes I have seen one UPSers with a service dog. I was in a training class with somebody from Corporate. The individual was in a wheelchair and he had the assistance of a service dog. This was about 7 or 8 years ago.