Are Service Dogs Allowed?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am from a small center where there is really not any kind of office, just the grilling quarters, and the little pcs that watch our every move. Our building would not even be suitable as there is no handicap access, to the restrooms which are upstairs, and I cant even climb the stairs at night, and Im not disabled, so no I have never seen it. I guess in corporate, where they have a heart:surprised:, and have to pay attention to rules , like Atlanta or other large centers, we could surely accomodate disabled individuals who would like to pursue their career.

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I am hoping they can find something for me to do. I would never put anyone in danger, especially my service dog :happy-very: so I would take any position they can offer me. I was just hoping to be able to make contact with another UPSer that already works with a service dog. I am a veteran and I know that as more of my brothers and sisters come back from Iraq and Afgan they will be looking to get back to a normal life including work. A service dog can help with anything from missing limbs (mobility) to seizures, diabetes, PTSD, Autism, on and on. With 400K+ employees at UPS I just hoped someone else knew of a fellow UPSers with a life saving dog.

To the question of "are service dogs allowed at work", YES!!! they are. However to also answer your question, I have never seen a service dog at UPS. I take mine with me to work. It may be a pain in the arse for you, however. Google -service dogs job accomodations- to get started.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Where, in operations, would it be safe for a dog? Most humans I could care less about. But, dogs? They are honorable, loving, and loyal. I would be very worried about a dog being anywhere in operations. I wonder why the OP won't tell us their original position?

Where, in operations, would it be safe for a dog? Most humans I could care less about. But, dogs? They are honorable, loving, and loyal. I would be very worried about a dog being anywhere in operations. I wonder why the OP won't tell us their original position?

I worked at the customer counter. Now that position is filled and an OMS position is open but I don't think they are going to offer that to me. I think the dog would be fine in the office. She would be fine at the counter. Like I said, I'm a returning veteran and I would not put my dog or co-workers at risk. I just want my job back and thanks to the VA, I now have a service dog. I've been pretty much through hell, but never thought the company I loved and worked so hard to get a job with would treat me like this. I've actually had a news station call me about this situation. I don't want to loose my job so I haven't said anything YET. I just want to verify ANY POSITION, IN ANY CITY, FOR ANY DISABILITY, HAS UPS ALLOWED ANYONE TO BACK TO WORK WITH A SERVICE DOG?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not in the area I work. I haven't heard of it. I wasn't trying to be an ass, I just love dogs so much. I would think OMS would be a good spot for you. They can't deny it to you according to the EEOC. I really hope you get your job back. I am on comp right now, myself. They wouldn't give me a job at my tiny center. I really wish you the best.
I would talk to the local tv people if it helps. Ask your attorney what he thinks. Sorry for being skeptical. Too many trolls trying to start crap on here. It's hard to tell when someone is legit, anymore.

Not in the area I work. I haven't heard of it. I wasn't trying to be an ass, I just love dogs so much. I would think OMS would be a good spot for you. They can't deny it to you according to the EEOC. I really hope you get your job back. I am on comp right now, myself. They wouldn't give me a job at my tiny center. I really wish you the best.
I would talk to the local tv people if it helps. Ask your attorney what he thinks. Sorry for being skeptical. Too many trolls trying to start crap on here. It's hard to tell when someone is legit, anymore.

Not a prob. Get this...I went to the local VA Clinic with my dog (issued to me by the VA) and the guy behind the desk told me my "guard dog" was not allowed in there! I am "newly" disabled so I never knew what people with disabilities have to deal with. I had to explain that just because my dog wasn't a Lab or Retriever (she is an Am Staff) that she was still trained as my service dog. It makes me crazy. But...everything happens for a reason and maybe I'm supposed to be the one to educate people about disabilities and service dogs. At least that is what I need to believe. Thanks for the nice reponse.:happy-very:

laffin.. sorry to laugh at you UPS people, but yer just funny! I don't know a single thing about "operations", but I do know that you 'could' put your service dog in a crate, in a safe area where nothing would fall on him/her, or where he'd be in the way of anyone. I would assume the crate idea would be depending on what your dog does for you.

laffin.. sorry to laugh at you UPS people, but yer just funny! I don't know a single thing about "operations", but I do know that you 'could' put your service dog in a crate, in a safe area where nothing would fall on him/her, or where he'd be in the way of anyone. I would assume the crate idea would be depending on what your dog does for you.

Mmmm...no. The dog needs to be at my side at all times. If I black out, fall down, have a seizure, etc., my $25000 service dog (the total cost of training a service dog) would not be any good to me in a crate. UNLESS...I train her to open the crate door and come to me on command. But, I guess then the crate would be of no use anyway. Besides, I agree with menotyou, my dog will not get locked up as long as I can help it.

I have REALLY been trying to help you. See if this helps you at all:
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications. It also applies to the United States Congress.
To be protected by the ADA, one must have a disability or have a relationship or association with an individual with a disability. An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. The ADA does not specifically name all of the impairments that are covered.
ADA Title I: Employment
Title I requires employers with 15 or more employees to provide qualified individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to benefit from the full range of employment-related opportunities available to others. For example, it prohibits discrimination in recruitment, hiring, promotions, training, pay, social activities, and other privileges of employment. It restricts questions that can be asked about an applicant's disability before a job offer is made, and it requires that employers make reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities, unless it results in undue hardship. Religious entities with 15 or more employees are covered under title I.
Title I complaints must be filed with the U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) within 180 days of the date of discrimination, or 300 days if the charge is filed
with a designated State or local fair employment practice agency. Individuals may file a lawsuit in Federal court only after they receive a "right-to-sue" letter from the EEOC.

Charges of employment discrimination on the basis of disability may be filed at any U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office. Field offices are located in 50 cities throughout the U.S. and are listed in most telephone directories under "U.S. Government." For the appropriate EEOC field office in your geographic area, contact:
(800) 669-4000 (voice)
(800) 669-6820 (TTY)
www.eeoc.gov
Publications and information on EEOC-enforced laws may be obtained by calling:
(800) 669-3362 (voice)
(800) 800-3302 (TTY)
For information on how to accommodate a specific individual with a disability, contact the Job Accommodation Network at:
(800) 526-7234 (voice/TTY)
www.jan.wvu.edu

well, I understand. It was just a suggestion. I don't crate my service dog either, but they sure do a lot of them at dog shows! Seriously, maybe you could train him to bark his fool head off, if he saw you in distress? Get someone's attention that you are in trouble? From the crate, I mean. I sent to you ADA and Employment information that is not yet posted. I truly hope that it can help you. I know of a USPS worker who crates his dog in the area where boxes are being thrown around and falling.

helenofcalifornia

A service dog???? Really????? What position would you be working in? And what is your condition that requires you to have a service dog? I don't think it's fair to the dog. There are a lot more jobs out there that are more suitable to a service dog than UPS. How long have you worked at UPS and in what capacity? What has UPS reaction been thus far?