Are skyscrapers in major cities their own route?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Grey, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Grey

Grey Active Member

How does that work with 80-90 story towers with 200+ businesses and multiple restaurants?

2. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

Air drivers,air walkers and 2-3 ground drivers do sections, there's 4 or 5 freight elevators in different parts of the building...
    I believe the Empire State Building is 4 routes.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

BOOM!
    Just don't ask him how to make chicken wings

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

So what you are saying is, you are getting screwed by having two whole buildings.

And a helper.

And friendly doormen.

And a shadow.

6. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I have commercial highrises 28+ floors on my route in a major city. The air is done by air drivers, but I get the air for one of them and the misc air for the other businesses on my route. Then a different air driver does my resi NDAs and my business savers in the area I don't get to until the afternoon.

I spend the first half of the day in the highrise area, then the second half doing ghetto res and ghetto corner stores, etc.

Its really nice being in climate control and out of the rain half the day and nice getting paid to wait for elevators and traffic. The tradeoffs are having to handtruck stuff instead of just leaving it on someone's dock and your truck's heat never really warming up until afternoon.

The other nice thing is in the summer the truck doesn't bake all day. It's in a garage or underground until 1pm, then 2 to 3 I park it under trees in the shade with the doors open for lunch. It heats up a little from 3 to 4:30 then cools down again while parked inside for pickups, then the heat of the sun is gone.

The funny thing is there is one building on my route where it gets the following:
    1) air driver for NDAs
    2) me for regular deliveries
    3) neighboring route's driver for pickups
    4) a different air driver for a 7:30pm air run of a few businesses and a letterbox
    ...so one building gets 4 different UPS drivers each day. That's a heck of a lot different than a little town I used to do where I did everything without any other guy coming into the town.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

What happens if the elevator is out of service? E.C?

8. Interesting thread. No thanks to excessive use of the hand cart.

9. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

My tallest sky scraper was 5 floors. I had a few 2 story offices and the 3 story courthouse. I had to hump them all upstairs if the elevator was out. But I can't imagine with like 30+ floors. I mean, you'd have to do the first few, but also there's a limit too.

10. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Then they let us use the passenger elevators, but restrict how much we can take in one trip and can only use regular handtrucks, not the big carts usually. In the rare event all elevators are down/power out to a building my boss says security attempts to call the business and asks if they want them left in the lobby in a pile (they have to come down later and figure out how it's getting upstairs) and security would sign for it, or they can ask for it to be re-attempted the next day, or so I'm told. If the business said to come back the next day, we're to sheet it Not Ready 1. If everything was down & security didn't agree to sign we'd use EC. I've never personally had every elevator down at once in one of my big buildings, just in the smaller 10 floor buildings, which were EC'd.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Ghost in the Darkness

Ghost in the Darkness Active Member

That makes me think of the WTC and what happened on 9/11, I wonder if the attacks started before drivers got there to deliver. I never really heard much about personal stories of delivery guys.

12. Big Arrow Down...D

No drivers were in the buildings.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

I remember delivering an air pkg, on 9/11 , the secretary told me about it, I stood there in shock as we both watched it unfold on a tv , some :censored2: in an expensive suit busts in and says something to the effect of, listen I need this paperwork ASAP, I understand what is going on , but this is important , we both just looked at each other like wow.......

14. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

You'd have to ask the NYC guys about that one, but I'd imagine they hadn't quite gotten there yet as it started just after 9, unless it was an air driver doing EAMs.

I remember seeing this picture though:

[​IMG]

15. rod

rod retired and happy

Either that's photoshopped or that is the most dedicated driver in the company------------------or he's stoned out of his mind

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Big Arrow Down...D

Almost all the big skyscrapers have their own delivery services within so they have practically become drop stops (post 911) esp banks and federal buildings...

17. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Which DIAD is that and which one did we have in 2001?

18. rod

rod retired and happy

He don't seem to have enough crap in his shirt pockets. I always seemed to look like a reject from nerd school with all the pens and stylus's and del. notes etc.

19. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Sounds like me.

20. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

The logo on the shirt is right for that era, but I can't make out the diad in the pic. If that's a diad, it's being held weird and if it's in a holster he's carrying the holster? No clue.