Are the amount of oversized packages at an all time high ?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Up here in New England, summer has set in quickly. I have never seen the amount of smokers, grills, patio heaters, and patio sets that have stuffed my truck the last 3 weeks. The aura of free shipping on internet sites have sucked in the public. 3/4 of these packages pretty much look like they've been rolled to my car straight from the unloaded feeder truck.

Preload doesn't care that I'm the one that has to pull that 149 lb six chaired patio set off my truck with a leg sticking out of the box. I pray every time I'm delivering that they are not home. As a UPS driver, I personally paid more for heavier items not to be delivered by us because we don't do a great job in handling over 70's. Even picking it up at the local Home Depot is my optimal choice because most likely it was palleted to the store.

Has any other drivers seen how much more residential overweight packages we've been delivering and the drop in proper handling ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I delivered a swing set to a trailer park the other day. I joked with the homeowner that assembly was extra. The stop was one of my last for the day and I had to work around that damn thing all day.

Overpaid Union Thug

Up here in New England, summer has set in quickly. I have never seen the amount of smokers, grills, patio heaters, and patio sets that have stuffed my truck the last 3 weeks. The aura of free shipping on internet sites have sucked in the public. 3/4 of these packages pretty much look like they've been rolled to my car straight from the unloaded feeder truck.

Preload doesn't care that I'm the one that has to pull that 149 lb six chaired patio set off my truck with a leg sticking out of the box. I pray every time I'm delivering that they are not home. As a UPS driver, I personally paid more for heavier items not to be delivered by us because we don't do a great job in handling over 70's. Even picking it up at the local Home Depot is my optimal choice because most likely it was palleted to the store.

Has any other drivers seen how much more residential overweight packages we've been delivering and the drop in proper handling ?

Yes! And our idiot preloaders already struggle with normal sized packages so these extra irregs have gotten things really jacked up.
I've delivered to 2 of them. They've refused packages on the spot from me that looked like hell.
Most of their bigger items are trucked in on trailer.
Here the majority of packages going to, or that were shipped from, Home Depot look like they were dropped off a cliff prior to shipment.

Johney

I've delivered to 2 of them. They've refused packages on the spot from me that looked like hell.
Most of their bigger items are trucked in on trailer.
I had one and when they started that free shipping to the store crap years ago the crap they got tripled,size and amount.
Edit: And rugs, you would have sworn they were giving them away as many as I would get.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hve never and will never have ANYONE del a tv to my house.

I will go to the store as most of them are palleted to the store

I bought my flat screen (42" Panasonic Viera) through upsers.com and it was delivered on a straight box truck. There is no way that I would order anything larger than a 32" and request delivery through UPS or Ground.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The problem is that a lot of the businesses like Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc., now offer free shipping over a certain amount. Who in their right mind would want to physically go to a store, buy a 150 grill, and then have to figure out how to get it home, when they can have it delivered FREE to their front door?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem is that a lot of the businesses like Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc., now offer free shipping over a certain amount. Who in their right mind would want to physically go to a store, buy a 150 grill, and figure out how to get it home when they can have it delivered FREE to their front door?

Even if they did want to pick it up, how many people have a vehicle with enough room to do so?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I had one and when they started that free shipping to the store crap years ago the crap they got tripled,size and amount.
Edit: And rugs, you would have sworn they were giving them away as many as I would get.

LOL
I haven't delivered to one in 6 years so I will take your word for it.
It was crazy back then and agree it has to be worse now.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was looking at natural gas fire pits on amazon and saw one I liked.
It also was an Amazon prime item so it is guaranteed in 2 days.
I just can't see buying it that way.

1) This item is 145 lbs. Amazon is not going to give me free shipping and have it delivered off a trailer.
2) I don't want my own UPS driver to have to deal with this package and hate my guts (lol)
3) Can't even imagine what that box would look like once it got here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you have a way to get it home by yourself? If so, just have it held at the center.

This is what I did when I got my TARP check and used it to buy 4 new tires, mounted and balanced, for my Colorado. Had them held, threw them in the back of the truck and drove to Sears to have them installed.

If you order it for home delivery and it comes LTL you will have to be there to receive. It costs extra for them to move it past the end of their trailer.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Do you have a way to get it home by yourself? If so, just have it held at the center.

This is what I did when I got my TARP check and used it to buy 4 new tires, mounted and balanced, for my Colorado. Had them held, threw them in the back of the truck and drove to Sears to have them installed.

If you order it for home delivery and it comes LTL you will have to be there to receive. It costs extra for them to move it past the end of their trailer.

Im kind of guessing it would come via UPS because of Amazon and it's weight.
The center/building I work at doesn't service my town so I'd have to go 40 miles to a different building.
That would be an option if I did order it.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
What is really starting to piss me off is the 50lb bags of dog food. Really people, dog food, go to the damn pet store!!!!!!!! I must have delivered 10 or more of them last week. I asked a lady, How much did this cost you to ship? Her answer, $2.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
What is really starting to piss me off is the 50lb bags of dog food. Really people, dog food, go to the damn pet store!!!!!!!! I must have delivered 10 or more of them last week. I asked a lady, How much did this cost you to ship? Her answer, $2.
Have an amazon queen on my route I know pretty well. Nice lady for the most part.

Said hi to her as she left the pets mart with her stupid lap dog in her arms. A few hours later I'm delivering 3 huge "boxes" of dog food to her house.

I was all like Wtf? I just saw her at Pets mart

Overpaid Union Thug

Have an amazon queen on my route I know pretty well. Nice lady for the most part.

Said hi to her as she left the pets mart with her stupid lap dog in her arms. A few hours later I'm delivering 3 huge "boxes" of dog food to her house.

I was all like Wtf? I just saw her at Pets mart
I almost hate delivering dog food more than than the oversized stuff. But at least it doesn't take as much space in the truck. And speaking of dog food.....I noticed we lost Chewy to FedEx Ground. I'm not exactly disappointed in that but at least they usually had their shipments divided into two smaller, lighter boxes as opposed to shipping one of those big ass, heavy ass NESTLE boxes. And didn't throw a bag of dog food into a box that was too big for it like Amazon does.