Are the amount of oversized packages at an all time high ?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I was looking at natural gas fire pits on amazon and saw one I liked.
It also was an Amazon prime item so it is guaranteed in 2 days.
I just can't see buying it that way.

1) This item is 145 lbs. Amazon is not going to give me free shipping and have it delivered off a trailer.
2) I don't want my own UPS driver to have to deal with this package and hate my guts (lol)
3) Can't even imagine what that box would look like once it got here.
1) they get to choose how it's delivered

2) who cares we are paid well

3)Amazon is great about returns.

oldngray

nowhere special
Lol I had 35X12.5 tires mounted on rims delivered to me a few years ago. Not only was it free ups shipping (95 lbs per tire) they beat the price of anywhere else by over $500

I have bought a lot of big heavy items from Amazon. Only one thing was ever a little beat up and it was just cosmetic. I could tell it was the shippers poor packaging that time. With free shipping and Amazon guarantees it is still a good deal.

Brownslave688

I have bought a lot of big heavy items from Amazon. Only one thing was ever a little beat up and it was just cosmetic. I could tell it was the shippers poor packaging that time. With free shipping and Amazon guarantees it is still a good deal.
This wasn't amazon. I just get so mad at the preloaders. I had at least 4-5 packages Friday that were wide open with stuff falling out.

Up here in New England, summer has set in quickly. I have never seen the amount of smokers, grills, patio heaters, and patio sets that have stuffed my truck the last 3 weeks. The aura of free shipping on internet sites have sucked in the public. 3/4 of these packages pretty much look like they've been rolled to my car straight from the unloaded feeder truck.

Preload doesn't care that I'm the one that has to pull that 149 lb six chaired patio set off my truck with a leg sticking out of the box. I pray every time I'm delivering that they are not home. As a UPS driver, I personally paid more for heavier items not to be delivered by us because we don't do a great job in handling over 70's. Even picking it up at the local Home Depot is my optimal choice because most likely it was palleted to the store.

Has any other drivers seen how much more residential overweight packages we've been delivering and the drop in proper handling ?
Yes. Almost every day when I'm done with my air I have to go on a magic carpet ride to nock off a couple stops of big crap. I kind of like it. Miles are your friend.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What is really starting to piss me off is the 50lb bags of dog food. Really people, dog food, go to the damn pet store!!!!!!!! I must have delivered 10 or more of them last week. I asked a lady, How much did this cost you to ship? Her answer, $2.
I have two animal hospitals, the main one will get 10-15 of those 30-50 pound in one day. There is no way to get them inside on a two wheeler either, have to carry them inside individually.

BrownTexas

I delivered a swing set to a trailer park the other day. I joked with the homeowner that assembly was extra. The stop was one of my last for the day and I had to work around that damn thing all day.
I always tell people, "I'd stick around and help you put that together, but I am far too expensive."

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
This oversized / overweight cr&p has gotten way out of control. When I was hired, the weight limit was 70lbs. There was no such thing as overweight. There was no such thing as oversized. That’s the job I applied for, and that’s the job I was hired to do. Now, UPS owns its own freight / LTL company for God’s sake, and it’s even conveniently called UPS Freight. It’s absolutely amazing how large and heavy some of the bs that is crammed down the aisle way of our PACKAGE cars (yes, they are still package cars, not freight trucks). We are, and ALWAYS have been, a Small Parcel Delivery operation. Anything over 70lbs, and anything that it oversized, should AUTOMATICALLY be diverted to UPS Freight.

This oversized / overweight bs has no place in our centers or in our package cars. If they want me to deliver freight, then I’ll take a freight allowance of 1 to 3 stops per hour. If they want me to follow Orion, delivering from the 5k – 8k shelves, they better as heck get that nasty, oversized, overweight freight off of my package car and onto a freight truck.

Tough Guy

The worst situation I've ever had with an irreg was this past peak. Some sort of exercise machine. Well sure enough it looked like it'd been through the gauntlet before even getting to my truck. But the thing was huge and had to be 150 easy.

Well I decided to deliver on my way to get my helper. When I pulled up, opened the back door, shimmied it out towards me a little, I heard the dreadful sound of dozens of screws, bolts, and washers hitting
The ground. They were black, on a black road, while it was snowing. I rounded up as much as I could find, put them in a dr bag and stuffed it back in the rear it came from.

Then as I got the beast on end to get on the hand cart, I hear all this clanging, and a bunch of metal rods and brackets came streaming out the other end, which looked like qc tried to fix by taping. Though we all know a few pieces of packing tape can't stand up against metal rods.

I finally got the damn thing to the house after much ado, and thanks the people either weren't home, or all the racket i made out front didn't wake them up. I thought I'd had waken the whole development up between all clanging, and my shouting...lol... Bad times. Hah.

Brownslave688

This oversized / overweight cr&p has gotten way out of control. When I was hired, the weight limit was 70lbs. There was no such thing as overweight. There was no such thing as oversized. That’s the job I applied for, and that’s the job I was hired to do. Now, UPS owns its own freight / LTL company for God’s sake, and it’s even conveniently called UPS Freight. It’s absolutely amazing how large and heavy some of the bs that is crammed down the aisle way of our PACKAGE cars (yes, they are still package cars, not freight trucks). We are, and ALWAYS have been, a Small Parcel Delivery operation. Anything over 70lbs, and anything that it oversized, should AUTOMATICALLY be diverted to UPS Freight.

This oversized / overweight bs has no place in our centers or in our package cars. If they want me to deliver freight, then I’ll take a freight allowance of 1 to 3 stops per hour. If they want me to follow Orion, delivering from the 5k – 8k shelves, they better as heck get that nasty, oversized, overweight freight off of my package car and onto a freight truck.
You poor thing.

Re-Raise

Last month I had a toilet shipped to store at the local Home Depot. I had to laugh when I got an e-mail with a 1z tracking number. I knew it would never make it intact.

I work in a small center and the package car going to Home Depot gets loaded across the belt from mine. The preloader was stacked out and rolled the package off my side of the belt having no idea it was a toilet ordered for me. It was destroyed and UPS returned it.

I still got a text message telling me my order was in and ready for pick-up. I went there like I didn't know anything about it. They apologized, reordered it and gave me a $25 gift card for the trouble.

If we break 6 more I guess the toilet will be free. It's possible..

Castillor

I can say from a pre-load stand point that this last peak season I've seen my share of trampolines, jungle gyms, and full on swing sets. Seems like more than usual.

By The Book

If the weight limit when you were hired was 70lbs., anything over that was overweight. There has always been limits on the size of parcels we accept, both in length and overall size. You make valid points as UPS seems to want all this production but continually finds ways to slow things down.

tapatio75

I have a cleaners guy that won't take any heavy oversized pkgs, so is an automatic RTS

Another guy (doorman) just told me that he is going to refuse those too, since they dont have room to store pkgs for tenants that haven't moved in yet or are on vacation

Last edited: