Are there exemptions to the Prohibited materials chart?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by HBGPreloader, Sep 21, 2015.

1. HBGPreloader

HBGPreloader Active Member

Just out of curiosity, are there any exemptions to the "prohibited hazardous materials" chart in the back of the package cars and trailers?
    This is the chart I'm referring to...
    And, if there are exemptions to this, who would know and who would be authorized to make the call?
  2. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Only UpstateNYUPSer
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

There are no exceptions for the small package system.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. I Am Jacks Damaged Box

I Am Jacks Damaged Box Well-Known Member

Don't forget about Austin.Was.My.Hero...aka God's gift to preload.
  5. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Any packages from Colorado to my house.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  6. HBGPreloader

HBGPreloader Active Member

LOL, guys - and thanks for the reply, Frigid.
    So, beyond the "don't tough, leave area and notify supervisor" b.s. is there a formal or written procedure on what to do next?
    If so, where would I find this info? It seems that not one supervisor or manager knew what to do. So, based on the "notice" that was typed in the return address area, they let it go through the system.
    The package appeared to be fireworks and it was either a 1.4 F or 1.4 G explosive (I don't, exactly, recall).
  7. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

We took the HAZMAT Training last week and they didn't leave the Answer Sheet out as usual. We also turned the volume down on the video so it wouldn't disturb our conservation about what we did over the weekend. Sorry I'm not qualified to answer HBGPreloader's original question. Another quality training exercise in my Center, where safety is Job One.
  8. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Last time I took hazmat training it was after I came in off the road. They left the DVD in the player for me and the safety guy left me the answer sheet. So I just had to sit in there for an hour and get paid and circle the proper answers. Easy peasy.
  9. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

A 1.4 I would remove from the belt and call the Hazmat help desk. It isn't super volatile. What they would probably do is tell me to reject and hold. Aka don't let it continue through the system and hold it for the customer to pick up. It gets a little trickier if your location isn't the origin. If you're a connecting hub the customer may have to come and pick it up or we have a third party that will come in after so many days and destroy it.

One thing to consider though is often times with stuff like that, it's just a reused box. I'm not saying don't treat it as if it isn't dangerous. But a boat load of the hazmat discrepancies I've found turned out to be someone who just didn't have another box laying around.
  10. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Always write on the sheet you sign "answers provided".
  11. jamescasey420

jamescasey420 Member

Just tear up the answer sheet. Ask questions, my last hazmat training took me about 2 hours. OOPS I went over 12. Looks like I'm going home early Friday :) !
  12. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Progress was supposed to be stopped and the shipped called to retrieve the package on their dime. If it was not a reused carton and was fireworks, there was probably a fine also.
  13. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter what is in it, if this label is on it, we can take it. Called the HMSC one time because someone was trying to ship fuel with this label on it air, and they said as long as this is on it, no papers or anything else is required. It stands for exempted quantity, or something like that.
  14. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Flatulence emissions.
  15. werenotthepostoffice

werenotthepostoffice deep down inside I really do not care

What package? Call 1-800-pick-ups and ask them. I don't know what you're talking about?
  16. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

I just print my name on the answer sheet and turn that in.
  17. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

Call the corporate VP of hazardous materials compliance that person can authorize all exceptions you need.