Are there exemptions to the Prohibited materials chart?

HBGPreloader

LOL, guys - and thanks for the reply, Frigid.
So, beyond the "don't tough, leave area and notify supervisor" b.s. is there a formal or written procedure on what to do next?
If so, where would I find this info? It seems that not one supervisor or manager knew what to do. So, based on the "notice" that was typed in the return address area, they let it go through the system.
The package appeared to be fireworks and it was either a 1.4 friend or 1.4 G explosive (I don't, exactly, recall).

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We took the HAZMAT Training last week and they didn't leave the Answer Sheet out as usual. We also turned the volume down on the video so it wouldn't disturb our conservation about what we did over the weekend. Sorry I'm not qualified to answer HBGPreloader's original question. Another quality training exercise in my Center, where safety is Job One.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We took the HAZMAT Training last week and they didn't leave the Answer Sheet out as usual. We also turned the volume down on the video so it wouldn't disturb our conservation about what we did over the weekend. Sorry I'm not qualified to answer HBGPreloader's original question. Another quality training exercise in my Center, where safety is Job One.

Last time I took hazmat training it was after I came in off the road. They left the DVD in the player for me and the safety guy left me the answer sheet. So I just had to sit in there for an hour and get paid and circle the proper answers. Easy peasy.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
LOL, guys - and thanks for the reply, Frigid.
So, beyond the "don't tough, leave area and notify supervisor" b.s. is there a formal or written procedure on what to do next?
If so, where would I find this info? It seems that not one supervisor or manager knew what to do. So, based on the "notice" that was typed in the return address area, they let it go through the system.
The package appeared to be fireworks and it was either a 1.4 friend or 1.4 G explosive (I don't, exactly, recall).
A 1.4 I would remove from the belt and call the Hazmat help desk. It isn't super volatile. What they would probably do is tell me to reject and hold. Aka don't let it continue through the system and hold it for the customer to pick up. It gets a little trickier if your location isn't the origin. If you're a connecting hub the customer may have to come and pick it up or we have a third party that will come in after so many days and destroy it.

One thing to consider though is often times with stuff like that, it's just a reused box. I'm not saying don't treat it as if it isn't dangerous. But a boat load of the hazmat discrepancies I've found turned out to be someone who just didn't have another box laying around.

jamescasey420

Last time I took hazmat training it was after I came in off the road. They left the DVD in the player for me and the safety guy left me the answer sheet. So I just had to sit in there for an hour and get paid and circle the proper answers. Easy peasy.
Just tear up the answer sheet. Ask questions, my last hazmat training took me about 2 hours. OOPS I went over 12. Looks like I'm going home early Friday :) !

barnyard

KTM rider
Progress was supposed to be stopped and the shipped called to retrieve the package on their dime. If it was not a reused carton and was fireworks, there was probably a fine also.

upschuck

upload_2015-9-23_13-57-21.png

Doesn't matter what is in it, if this label is on it, we can take it. Called the HMSC one time because someone was trying to ship fuel with this label on it air, and they said as long as this is on it, no papers or anything else is required. It stands for exempted quantity, or something like that.