Are They Worried?

quadro

You are correct. Paid suspension during investigation and then it becomes unpaid most of the time as a disciplinary measure. That way Fred gets to save a week's worth of pay while they take their sweet time "investigating".
And in the example being discussed, there was no mention of discipline so the inference is that this was not "guilty until proven innocent" which is what I was trying to explain to Cactus.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And in the example being discussed, there was no mention of discipline so the inference is that this was not "guilty until proven innocent" which is what I was trying to explain to Cactus.

My experience has been that most of the time FedEx presumes the employee is guilty, especially if the complaint has come from an important customer. You mean nothing, and they'll toss you aside while they see if the issue has merit. If there's any chance FedEx will be sued, good luck on returning to work.

Many years ago, I knew a courier that had a homeless person dart out of a blind alley and into his path. The courier hit the guy, but there wasn't anything he could have done to prevent it. FedEx fired him immediately, no suspension or anything. A week later the police report confirmed that the victim was drunk, had run directly into the courier's path, and that there was no way anyone could have avoided hitting him. The courier gets a lawyer, shows him the police report, and he's back on the job within a week. Please note that the employee had to get an attorney first. FedEx did not hire him back immediately, even though the accident report had totally exonerated the courier.

FedEx is extremely risk averse, and I think they use the "guilty first" philosophy to protect their assets. Not always, but often enough to show a pattern.

LTFedExer

Please note that the employee had to get an attorney first. FedEx did not hire him back immediately, even though the accident report had totally exonerated the courier.
Did he TRY to get his job back and THEN have to get an attorney or did he go straight to an attorney?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So he didn't even try to GFT it?

Yes, he tried to GFT. It was in-process when he was brought back. No GFT decision was made, so I strongly believe that FedEx Legal ordered management to reinstate him immediately. So does he. He wishes now that he did sue for wrongful termination.
I used to date a manager, and she was always completely frustrated that people who deserved to get fired were saved by Legal, and others who probably didn't deserve it, were canned, again per Legal. According to her, every termination had to be directly approved by MEM Legal, and that if the employee was a member of a protected class that they were basically Teflon.

bbsam

Staff member
Sounds like Memphis legal and Pittsburgh legal are on the same page. Everything goes through legal. That's why I've always said contractors are so hard to get rid of.

LTFedExer

I think if something like that happened to me, it would leave a very bad taste in my mouth and I doubt I could work there anymore.