Are wages negotiable?

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
All I have to say is come out to the Bay Area and see how valuable a software engineer is. Dime a dozen, entitled little pricks
There'd be literally THOUSANDS of people here willing to do the internship for free here...sick office *..delivering to them is the best cause they all think they're better than us...making 16 dollars an hour to sit at a desk and have 200,000 in debt for school

Last edited by a moderator:

Indecisi0n

I recently received an offer for an Internship at UPS for the Fall in which I will be expected to work 20 hours a week with an hourly pay of ~19 an hour. I feel this is a low-ball offer, and ~400 pre tax a week does not really inspire me. Does UPS allow candidates for position to negotiate offers once given? Has anyone on here successfully negotiated a higher wage?
Yes they are negotiated. Type up a counter offer.

oldupsman

The seasonal aspect of the FedEx offer may be why FedEx is paying A "premium".

Most likely, you are applying for a Tech position in UPS's TSG (Technology Support Group) which is under the I.E. (Industrial Engineering) organization.

This is not a smooth or given transition into UPS's Information Technolgy organization (called Information Services or I.S.).
Are you looking for a career/degree position with UPS after graduation?

Got a question. Got a friend whose daughter is a soph at Penn State majoring in Logistics. She got an offer for
an internship with UPS in Atlanta for this upcoming summer. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

rod

Retired 22 years
Got a question. Got a friend whose daughter is a soph at Penn State majoring in Logistics. She got an offer for
an internship with UPS in Atlanta for this upcoming summer. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Have her read some of Monkey Butts posts and tell her that's the kind of people she would be working for:rolleyes:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
She should take UPS up on that and work at UPS for 2 - 3 years and move on to another company.
Not sure what you were looking for but I will gladly give you any advice/opinion if this was too broad a brush.

oldupsman

She should take UPS up on that and work at UPS for 2 - 3 years and move on to another company.
Not sure what you were looking for but I will gladly give you any advice/opinion if this was too broad a brush.

She is going to take the summer internship. UPS has told her they will be sending her a list of places she can
live at for the summer. No idea of how much she'll make or the cost of the lodging yet. Hey, she's 20 years old, looking
at it as a life experience, and getting some idea of how the real world works. She's excited. Looking forward to spending time in a city
like Atlanta.

She just asked me if I had any idea what to expect and what I thought. I just told her I thought it be a great opportunity for her.
I told her Monkey Butt thought it was a good idea too.
That didn't exactly fill her with confidence until I explained the situation. And by the way is the Vortex still there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
She is going to take the summer internship. UPS has told her they will be sending her a list of places she can
live at for the summer. No idea of how much she'll make or the cost of the lodging yet. Hey, she's 20 years old, looking
at it as a life experience, and getting some idea of how the real world works. She's excited. Looking forward to spending time in a city
like Atlanta.

She just asked me if I had any idea what to expect and what I thought. I just told her I thought it be a great opportunity for her.
I told her Monkey Butt thought it was a good idea too.
That didn't exactly fill her with confidence until I explained the situation. And by the way is the Vortex still there.
Both of them but you have to be 21 to enter.
The orig is in Little 5 Points and the other is on Peachtree in Midtown (combined with a comedy club).
I usually hit the one in L5P when I go to a concert at variety Playhouse and the one on Peachtree if I go to a concert at the Fox or to catch a comedy show.