Are we on the brink of WW3? (On Topic Please)

Rack em

Made the Podium
Good lord I can't believe you guys think WW3 would ever happen, much less have Russia and the US on opposite sides lol. If there is another "world war" it won't involve just humans. Technological singularity is coming, I know a large portion of this site's visitors won't be alive that long, but it's coming.... for our sake I hope it doesn't involve war because we won't win.
You don't think Russia will initiate a nuclear war? I seriously hope not but with what is going on recently I think they are gearing up for war.

I wonder how todays young people would react to a draft. (Actually I bet I know)---we are so screwed.
I think we have all the man power we need already enlisted. I think ground war is less likely this time around.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You don't think Russia will initiate a nuclear war? I seriously hope not but with what is going on recently I think they are gearing up for war.
Nope. But then again I didn't do drills where I hid under my school desk as a child on a regular basis. So maybe I just have a different perspective on the matter.

The economy is global. I don't think a nuclear war would benefit anyone monetarily so I doubt it would ever happen.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Nope. But then again I didn't do drills where I hid under my school desk as a child on a regular basis. So maybe I just have a different perspective on the matter.

The economy is global. I don't think a nuclear war would benefit anyone monetarily so I doubt it would ever happen.
Nuclear war would basically kill 99% of the population so the economy isn't even an issue. And the effects afterwards due to radiation and climate change would make the earth uninhabitable. There is no winner because everyone would lose. BUT that doesn't mean it won't happen.

The biggest concern right now is our own government. They are the ones pushing the issue over in Syria and were told to not get involved. I am not huge into politics so I don't exactly know why we are in Syria to begin with, but I think the best thing is for the US to withdraw.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Nuclear war would basically kill 99% of the population so the economy isn't even an issue. And the effects afterwards due to radiation and climate change would make the earth uninhabitable. There is no winner because everyone would lose. BUT that doesn't mean it won't happen.

The biggest concern right now is our own government. They are the ones pushing the issue over in Syria and were told to not get involved. I am not huge into politics so I don't exactly know why we are in Syria to begin with, but I think the best thing is for the US to withdraw.
Guess you missed the point. Nuclear war doesn't benefit anyone monetarily.
Keeping us in the middle east does.

There is no money in ending wars.
That's why we have evolved to fighting ideas rather than countries. There's a lot more money in wars that don't end, like the one on "terrorism".

rod

Retired 22 years
A draft now days would have to include the ladies. Sorry ladies--you fought for equal rights and now you have them.

Serf

American democracy is coke or pepsi, contraceptives or abortion, proxy war or outright invasion/occupation. It is the same exact thing each election cycle. The only difference is this time the media and DNC will do anything, (even provoke a war with another super power) to win the election.
Did hope and change President Obama think he would be involved in fracturing Syria and employing moderate rebels to topple the Assad regime? The arming of Hezbollah, Do you think he thought he would topple Libya and turn the country into a failed state? Do you think he knew he would be behind toppling Ukraine's President (Maidan), propping up a western backed leader and provoking a response by Russia in Crimea and then place sanctions on Russia?
The disastrous invasion of Iraq, the expansion of Al Qaeda, The creation of ISIS. The occupation of Afghanistan. Rewind back further to Clinton and NATO bombing Yugoslavia. Killing thousands of Christian Serbs. Kosovo is Serbia.
After the first Gulf War, the citizens of Baghdad lived without power and water for years. But oil fires were extinguished in a matter of days and refineries re opened.
If our Government launches a cyber attack on the Kremlin, I sincerely hope they remain diplomatic. War is the American way. And having seen the meat grinder it is. It is not worth it under almost any circumstance. In my opinion we are still a decade away from WW3. When Iran develops a Nuclear weapon, I believe Israel will launch a preemptive strike at the facility. Thus launching WW3.

Sportello

Not sure if you're serious...

Ask Martha Stewart. Martha went to prison for lying to the FBI. Hillary lied to the FBI continuously, and is not in prison.
Martha obviously couldn't afford whatever James C gets to not press charges.
I am serious. Please tell me what crimes Hillary Clinton has been charged with.

Show me where the FBI said she lied to them. The FBI director said, under oath, “We have no basis to conclude she lied to the FBI.”

Rack em

Made the Podium
I am serious. Please tell me what crimes Hillary Clinton has been charged with.

Show me where the FBI said she lied to them. The FBI director said, under oath, “We have no basis to conclude she lied to the FBI.”
She deleted some 30,000 emails which I guess the FBI had and refused to give to congress. Then when the head of the FBI was in front of congress he was a nervous wreck and one of the members of congress subpoena'd him right on the spot.

over9five

Staff member
Do you think the director got a big check from the Clinton Foundation, or was he just afraid of having a mysterious death?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
For friend*'s sake. I can't believe this is a thread. None of the world's major players would actually be stupid enough to start a "nuclear war". Retaliation would be guaranteed; It would be a suicidal death wish. Not to mention there'd be no appeal in conquering a nation where you killed everyone in it.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I wonder how todays young people would react to a draft. (Actually I bet I know)---we are so screwed.
I read and hear asinine comments like this all the time. Look how many voluntarily signed up to go over to that sandy :censored2: hole over there. No draft needed. Besides that, you'll be hard pressed to see another war even worth the gung-ho patriotism (in this lifetime at least). Can't see why anyone would want to partake in a politicians' war that can't even be won and sacrifice yourself for people who won't give a :censored2: anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years
I read and hear asinine comments like this all the time. Look how many voluntarily signed up to go over to that sandy :censored2: hole over there. No draft needed. Besides that, you'll be hard pressed to see another war even worth the gung-ho patriotism (in this lifetime at least). Can't see why anyone would want to partake in a politicians' war that can't even be won and sacrifice yourself for people who won't give a :censored2: anyway.

Of coarse there is no draft needed now but I don't agree with you on how many actually enjoy going over there time and time again. For the most part they are sent over there so many times because they have signed on for 4 years or so and Uncle Sam needs his cannon fodder. Anyone who would actually volunteer to go over there more than once or twice probably has a screw loose to begin with. I knew guys in Vietnam who asked to be sent back over 2 or three times. They all had that glazed eye look to them. The two I personally knew got killed on their 3 tour.

bluto9

If the war goes against them the Russians will use tactical nukes against us in Europe. We wouldn't use them first under any circumstances but they have a different policy. Could be a big problem. Shame it could happen over Syria and hacking.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Things are heating up in Syria and Russia is making some serious threats and it seems they are preparing for an all out nuclear war. They have told all of their students abroad to return home immediately and a number of their officials have stated that if Hilary wins the election then war is all but certain.

Russia is being accused of hacking into and tampering with the election already. They obviously want Trump in office because they know they can influence him and they know Hilary won't be bullied. I haven't looked at the "polls" lately but I am sure Hilary is ahead which is scary. I wonder if the electoral college will be influenced by Russia's threats? Either way that's messed up.

I hope these ongoing issues can be resolved without war, especially nuclear war, but I don't think that's an option anymore. I can just imagine a few weeks into the war there will be a news headline "ICBM missile headed toward X city, please evacuate" Then UPS will be like "Please finish your route, you should be off road before bombs hit"

@Clock Sucker

Just in case you want to see what it was like for us growing up during the Cold War, a movie (Fail Safe) is on TCM right now.

Those were scary times, youngster.