Are you a jerk to...

MethodsMan

I'm a cover driver and after awhile I've realized its a mixed bag. Some guys are cool and some guys give you dirty looks and act stuffy towards you. So its kinda like real life, some cool people and some tools.

The bottomline is when it comes down to it the lazy drivers are the ones that get pissed because management probably rides them and tells them that so and so got it done way better than you when you were on vacation.

Oh well, tough titties.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Nobodies better than anyone else. But strangely enough some idiots always wanna act like lil girls and act like their in high school. Like really dude get a life loser lol.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always helped anyone who covered my route when I went on vaca. That is unless I got back and found a whole ****pot full of "can't locates" and a crapload of driver followups and complaints and all I heard from the center manager was how the cover guy smoked my route. If I was in town on vaca I would stop at the center on Thursday night and go through the postcard bin and the can't locat pile and draw directions on them so they could get deliverd on Friday and weren't waiting for me on Monday. That would usually piss the cover driver off. It was always the ones that were way off the beaten trail that the cover drivers, for some reason, couldn't find.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
A driver this morning gave me a hard time about doing his route next when he's on vacation. He said he didn't want me to run it because i destroy him on the numbers, I don't gas the truck up and I leave trash in it. I didn't want to get in an argument with him so I said have a nice vacation. When I get in I clean my trash out, I might forget a snickers wrapper or an empty cup in the cup holder every now and then but I make it a point to clean my mess when I'm done with someone else's truck. And if I show up to do your route on Monday and you didn't gas the truck up for me, I'm not gonna gas the truck up for you. If I get in the truck Monday and its got a full tank, I will gladly top it off for you Friday night.

Re-Raise

We have cover drivers we all like and help, and some that are on their own. Just like we have customers we try a little harder for.

Rico

I take it the policy of having the cover driver ride with the route driver for a couple of days to learn the route is no longer.

I take calls on my vacations everyday even if the swing driver is a d-bag runner who jacks up my route. I don't care what they do its not my route it's ups's route. Whatever they do ill do what I do and it is what it is. Be nice to those swing drivers they see things that you don't see and they will tell you information on things that are going on.

WhereDoIWorkAgain

Some people are just self absorbed/self centered some are also just uncommunicative. We have a guy at our center that for the longest most people thought he kinda hated everyone, turns out that he just doesn't really talk, but is a good guy that helps various people out fairly regularly now that some of us have taken the time to talk to him and realized that he lives in the same neighborhood as 4 or 5 of us. It really just took 2 years and someone spending most of a sort making small talk at him one sided to get more than 2 connected sentences out of him. Lots of people just aren't talkers.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

The guy running my route this week is pretty much the only cover driver I won't help. He is arrogant, and won't do anything for any of the other drivers. The rest of us try to work together.

I was in a poker tournament in Atlantic City one time on vacation. He called me while I was at the table in a hand. You have to leave the table to take calls , so I walked away from the table after the hand and called him back.

I asked what he needed, and he kind of snorted and said "it's too late now forget it". He didn't say sorry for bothering you on vacation, or thanks for calling me back or anything, he was pissed that I didn't answer immediately.

He also will tear the pages he needs out of my county map book so he can keep them on the dash while he drives. Then he tosses them back in with the book after he is done. No more maps in the truck for him.

I could go on and on about this guy, so I told him he might as well lose my number.

Last edited:

gingerkat

A driver this morning gave me a hard time about doing his route next when he's on vacation. He said he didn't want me to run it because i destroy him on the numbers, I don't gas the truck up and I leave trash in it. I didn't want to get in an argument with him so I said have a nice vacation. When I get in I clean my trash out, I might forget a snickers wrapper or an empty cup in the cup holder every now and then but I make it a point to clean my mess when I'm done with someone else's truck. And if I show up to do your route on Monday and you didn't gas the truck up for me, I'm not gonna gas the truck up for you. If I get in the truck Monday and its got a full tank, I will gladly top it off for you Friday night.
Not trying to bust your balls, but to you this might be an occasional "oversight" on your part, but to the driver, this probably qualifies as trash. Just sayin'

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. The route and the truck and the packages belong to UPS, not me, so whatever happens while I am on vacation is none of my concern.

2. I leave the truck clean, full of fuel, and fully stocked with dog biscuits and updated gate codes. Other than the biscuits, I would certainly prefer that I get it back the same way, but if the cover driver is a slob then UPS can just go ahead and pay me $45 a hour on OT to clean up the mess myself.

3. I dont care what sort of numbers the cover driver generates, because it isnt a competition and his production has nothing to do with what may or may not be a fair days work for me. If he is stupid enough to skip his lunch and piss my customers off by speeding down gravel roads in order to make bonus thats his problem not mine. And if my management team wants to pay me $45 an hour on OT to sit in the office while they compare his numbers to mine they are more than welcome to. I have nothing to prove and management's opinion of my production is their problem not mine.

4. If the cover driver does the route correctly and takes good care of the customers, thats just great. If the cover driver is a slob and pisses the customers off, all it means is that they will be more grateful when I return. While my preference would be for the customers to be well taken care of while I am gone, it doesnt really matter that much to me either way.

5. Worrying about what the cover driver does while you are gone is a sign of insecurity and an inability to detach from the job while you are on vacation. I have been at this for 26 years now and the one thing that has always been true is that whenever I return from a vacation, nothing has really changed while I was away.

Overpaid Union Thug

Filing up a truck is definitely a two way street. I wish I had a dollar for every time I cover a route and the truck is on empty and the fuel card is in the bid driver's wallet.

FilingBluesFL

I guess we're lucky that our fuel is on-site, no more fuel card shenanigans, and worry about the truck being filled up, other than the car parkers not doing it. Used to be a huge hassel finding someone with a fuel card because the regular driver likes to keep it in their wallet.

There's only one guy I really don't care for that has a huge attitude, and is just arrogant as hell... and of course he's the almighty good Christian family man that goes to church every week and blah blah blah.

I'll help anyone, but if you abuse it, you're SOL.

We have this one guy that's a complete SLOB. I love him to death, he's a lot of fun, but man, I guess the center manager went on a 3 day OJS with him... and he said the first day, they pulled a 55 gallon trash bag FULL of garbage out of his truck lol Sad thing is his personal car is even worse, I was following him from the race track one night and he had crap flying out of the bed of his dually lol

JackStraw

I'll happily share any info about my route even if I know the guy is gonna smoke it. A sup once said to me "Look what so and so did after only one week" I told her: "Good for him, I hope you don't expect me to do that"

WorknLateHuh

don't friend* with cover drivers. We'll bend over backwards to help, but try to take advantage and manipulate someone, and you'll wake up to a world of hurt on Mon... no gas card, no dr bags, no 2 wheeler, missing keys, trash everywhere, and the 1000 section filled with piss bottles.

nah, kidding bout most of that. But seriously, welcome back from vacation

Cementups

Box Monkey
Man, sometimes you guys make me really appreciate how good I have it. All this fueling up cars talk is going to drive me batty. I park the truck and walk away. the next day it's on the proper spot and full of petrol. Get in a drive off. Easy Peasy.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Man, sometimes you guys make me really appreciate how good I have it. All this fueling up cars talk is going to drive me batty. I park the truck and walk away. the next day it's on the proper spot and full of petrol. Get in a drive off. Easy Peasy.
Fueling up off site sometimes has its perks. I receive free car washes, baseball tickets, race tickets, coffee and discounted gas all thanks to UPS's credit card.

BrownArmy

We have eight pumps on site...

Everyone fills up, even the Feeder drivers.

What burns me is the 20-year vet who leaves me with 1/4 of a tank when I'm covering his vacation.

But, like I said, when he comes back the next week (or two), he'll have a full tank of gas.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We have eight pumps on site...

Everyone fills up, even the Feeder drivers.

What burns me is the 20-year vet who leaves me with 1/4 of a tank when I'm covering his vacation.

But, like I said, when he comes back the next week (or two), he'll have a full tank of gas.

We have car wash guys who take our trucks outside after we park them, wash them (in theory), fill them up with gas/diesel then put them where they go. I've never fueled a ups truck ever.

BrownArmy

We have car wash guys who take our trucks outside after we park them, wash them (in theory), fill them up with gas/diesel then put them where they go. I've never fueled a ups truck ever.

In theory, we have car wash guys.

In reality, every driver in my center is responsible for fueling their PC's.

Sometimes (as a cover driver) I think I'm the only one who visits the pumps.

On a side note, they took away the pump-side garbage can for about six months...I think they did it because everyone was putting their pee bottles in the trash, and whomsoever changes the trash must have made a stink.

I still can't understand it...our center delivers in the Greater-Boston area, one of the most heavily populated regions in the entire country...this isn't a rural situation, it's the FRICKEN CITY.

If you can't find a bathroom, you're an idiot.

If you feel the need to pee in a bottle, and then you leave said bottle on the truck, you're a double-idiot.

I've covered routes where the bid-driver left pee-bottles in the truck.

Have some self-respect...