Are You kidding me?

The Milkman

Got a call from one of my old Jersey friends who retired last year, tells me he got a call from UPS asing him if he would come back and work Peak......Would get top rate......Just goes to show you that this is not a job for everyone........No matter the hourly rate, Ups has a hard time keeping the turnover rate down.. Just keep hiring them, then trying to fire them, Treat them poorly..Thus the result you see today is because of those actions......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Got a call from one of my old Jersey friends who retired last year, tells me he got a call from UPS asing him if he would come back and work Peak......Would get top rate......Just goes to show you that this is not a job for everyone........No matter the hourly rate, Ups has a hard time keeping the turnover rate down.. Just keep hiring them, then trying to fire them, Treat them poorly..Thus the result you see today is because of those actions......

This has less to do with the turnover rate and more to do with the embarrassment of last Peak. They are hiring 95K seasonal workers this year----that is unprecedented.

From what I have been told, any retiree who (is foolish enough to) decides to come back will run split areas made up primarily of residential stops.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Jealous that you did not get the call? :biggrin:

This subject has already been discussed a number of times.

But, I don't expect to be called. I was at my old building to pick something up, and told the center manager that I'd be happy to work peak.......................on my terms.:)

oldupsman

I'd honestly think I would give it a shot if they called. But only at top rate. A package car of house stops?
I know I could still do that. No doubt in my mind.

The Milkman

This has less to do with the turnover rate and more to do with the embarrassment of last Peak. They are hiring 95K seasonal workers this year----that is unprecedented.

From what I have been told, any retiree who (is foolish enough to) decides to come back will run split areas made up primarily of residential stops.

I can understand that theory.........But hiring retirees at top rate instead of new hires at lower rates makes me wonder how hard up they are for workers at any position. I remember when I started family members working at Ups was a no no. Then they decided to let family members work together..I also remember each ctr having a customer service rep...next thing you know the reps have to handle 2 ctrs..then 3..Then us drivers were asked for sales leads etc...Give the leads, then the customer asks us why the rep has not gotten back to them for weeks..Now with less on car sups..I guess an old timer would fill the bill........helpers are another story, they tell their friends about the promised hours etc etc.......and after many yrs of the word getting around, the college kids wise up to Ups's tactics from word of mouth from former helpers. I guess the UPS plan of doing more with less is finally catching up with them....You couldn't pay me enough to get back into my browns..may they R.I.P.

Xexys

Retired and Happy

Double D?