Are you proud to work at FedEx?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I guess so. I am neither thrilled with it nor an activist against it.

And you? Is your unwillingness or inability to change it tacit admission that it is the new normal and probably will be for quite some time? Or do you have a new scheme to rock the corporate world?

I fight it wherever and however I can, but I know it's probably just pissing into the wind. It is beyond the ability of a single individual to change....more of a social/political problem. I see people like vantexan get on here and complain about the "New Normal", and then they go out and vote for the folks that created it. Go figure.

bbsam

Staff member
But you fight your potential allies as well. You and I agree that it is a sociopolitical issue that needs to be addressed but you view corporate democrats like Harold Ford and Steve Rattner, Bill Clinton as the enemy as well. In that case, you will always be pissing in the wind.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Right now FedEx is a means to an end. FedEx has (as others have stated) protected their image so well that having that on a resume still looks good and thus far I have secured multiple interviews elsewhere (entirely different industry) in the coming weeks.

However, I do not see FedEx looking as good on a resume as any other fly by night company in the foreseeable future and as such, I am proceeding accordingly while I'm still young enough to do so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Right now FedEx is a means to an end. FedEx has (as others have stated) protected their image so well that having that on a resume still looks good and thus far I have secured multiple interviews elsewhere (entirely different industry) in the coming weeks.

However, I do not see FedEx looking as good on a resume as any other fly by night company in the foreseeable future and as such, I am proceeding accordingly while I'm still young enough to do so.

I'm not sure how they've managed to protect the brand and image. The FedEx reputation especially helps managers, and I've seen some real failures (at FedEx) go on to get excellent management jobs at other companies. I know of one who got canned at UPS, got hired at FedEx, got canned again, and then ended up making 6-figures at a distribution facility.

Epoisode7

ended up making 6-figures at a distribution facility
Did they distribute "Colombian" products? I always enjoyed delivering to the guys in the 'hood. They were always way too happy to receive those nondescript boxes wrapped entirely in a thick layer of masking tape.

Epoisode7

As a Ground driver, I was always wearing my uniform, even off duty. Of course, I was also homeless, so maybe that had something to do with it. I found the reflective stripe on the pants to be helpful in avoiding getting hit by city busses. The winter jacket had lots of interior pockets to hold all my liquor.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
As a Ground driver, I was always wearing my uniform, even off duty. Of course, I was also homeless, so maybe that had something to do with it. I found the reflective stripe on the pants to be helpful in avoiding getting hit by city busses. The winter jacket had lots of interior pockets to hold all my liquor.

You got something against hiding liquor?

Last edited:

Code 82 Approved

I was homeless when I got hired. Come make fun of me. I Double Dog Dare You.
I admire the correct plural of bus however.

Code 82 Approved

As an enabler of the "New Normal", I'm sure you're OK with this because it's a tacit rationalization of what you do at Ground...underpay people for work that is worth more.

MFE has a great point. I drove HD on my 6th day today just bzus I wanted another $150. When in all reality I have been underpaid since wednesday.
So is the new norm, "The Norm" and if so, and I have thought a lot about this since joining this forum, when do I say hello...

Code 82 Approved

BB, 130/300 all week. I don't feel so loved as the HD guy who had 280 stops today, that is insane. I have heard rumors of a UPS girl doing 400+ in the area I last worked near. And she has 5 kids, and jogs 6 miles to work. Huh? Outta my league.

hypo hanna

BB, 130/300 all week. I don't feel so loved as the HD guy who had 280 stops today, that is insane. I have heard rumors of a UPS girl doing 400+ in the area I last worked near. And she has 5 kids, and jogs 6 miles to work. Huh? Outta my league.

​I heard about her.... Rides her pet unicorn into work on rainy days.

DontThrowPackages

Alot of people would stay 15 years. Even at $17 an hour I could see families staying for a second income. There aren't alot of blue collar jobs out there today for high school gtadduates that are going to pay a single income family enough to live comfortably middle class.
That's a whole other problem, in it's self. Seems any working class job that's outsourceable has been sent off leaving the "high school gtaddutes" with very little opportunity for a middle class life. And even the Professionals are starting to feel it as well. Companies have/being to send their accounting work to India. I've also seen an influx of Indians brought here to under cut the Professionals in the I.T. fields. This problem is effecting college grads. So I guess, if you're an Indian, you must really love the "Job creators" because they don't seem to want to create for Americans.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's a whole other problem, in it's self. Seems any working class job that's outsourceable has been sent off leaving the "high school gtaddutes" with very little opportunity for a middle class life. And even the Professionals are starting to feel it as well. Companies have/being to send their accounting work to India. I've also seen an influx of Indians brought here to under cut the Professionals in the I.T. fields. This problem is effecting college grads. So I guess, if you're an Indian, you must really love the "Job creators" because they don't seem to want to create for Americans.

Fred is a huge "job creator" in El Salvador and India right now. I wonder what an offshore call center agent makes.

vantexan

I fight it wherever and however I can, but I know it's probably just pissing into the wind. It is beyond the ability of a single individual to change....more of a social/political problem. I see people like vantexan get on here and complain about the "New Normal", and then they go out and vote for the folks that created it. Go figure.

I'm the one who has pointed out that modern capitalism in the U.S. pretty much developed with the creation of the 401k plan. Wall Street and the corporations have the masses convinced that they'll all have plenty if they participate, but it's they who benefit most from the system. You can bet you'll see plenty of good times and bad in the stock market in the future, and you can bet that the execs will be out of the market when it drops, and in at the bottom with guidance from the Wall Street pros. Meanwhile many of the 401k contributors will be whipsawed around without the trading knowledge they need. Or won't have the returns they should have due to low pay and poor matching funds. But they'll keep contributing, and the rich will grow richer. Just because the CEO's of the world are mostly Republican doesn't mean I support everything they do. And I don't see any difference morally with what they do and Democrats talking big to get your vote while never delivering. You can attack Republicans all day and rightfully so for some of it. But the Dems aren't any prize either. They've been promising the moon forever and this country still isn't the utopian dream that too many think can happen with little cost to their personal freedoms.

Epoisode7

The only difference between Fred S and Bernie Madoff are their living arrangements. Give it time and I think Freddy will join him. Their business practices are identical, IMHO. I bet Freddy would run an excellent commissary delivery system in federal prison though.

bbsam

Staff member
The only difference between Fred S and Bernie Madoff are their living arrangements. Give it time and I think Freddy will join him. Their business practices are identical, IMHO. I bet Freddy would run an excellent commissary delivery system in federal prison though.

More ranting. Good. Let all the crazy out.:)

vantexan

​Well that's just silly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Hmmm. The big difference is that Madoff made the mistake of screwing his fellow rich folks, who have the means to fight back and get a result. Although I consider Smith a corporate criminal, it's unlikely his "crimes" will ever rise to the level where he does time. If anything, Fred would be in hot water for his cozy political deals.