Are you smarter then a twilight sort manager?

Work safe or not at all.

What about this, "sure thing Tim, I just need to go down to the safety office and fill out an accident report, I think I might have pulled something in my back last night".

File early, file often.

They actually fire people where you work for refusing to work in a hostile work environment?

File early, file often.

You're tossing out a catch phrase without understanding it's meaning.

Be told to work as directed is not creating a hostile work environment.

Saying your seniority is being violated and the response being "I need you regardless" is not creating a hostile work environment.

"Blatantly violating your seniority" as you put it is not a hostile work environment. Doing it every day to a specific person, maybe. Doing it because the crap is hitting the fan and it's all hands on deck is not.

More than one of us has given almost identical advice on the subject.
Work as directed then file a grievance.

Puff out your chest and have a tantrum and file for unemployment.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You're tossing out a catch phrase without understanding it's meaning.

Be told to work as directed is not creating a hostile work environment.

Saying your seniority is being violated and the response being "I need you regardless" is not creating a hostile work environment.

"Blatantly violating your seniority" as you put it is not a hostile work environment. Doing it every day to a specific person, maybe. Doing it because the crap is hitting the fan and it's all hands on deck is not.

More than one of us has given almost identical advice on the subject.
Work as directed then file a grievance.

Puff out your chest and have a tantrum and file for unemployment.
Yeah sounds like quite the drama queen thing to do. Oh it's hot in here. This is a hostile work environment.

An employee, let's call him Keith, walks into the hub for his twilight shift and the sort manager, Tim, happens to be standing there.

Tim tells Keith (who is the most senior employee on his PD) that he is going to be working in the unload tonight. Keith informs him that he has seniority and would prefer to remain on his PD. Tim says that if Keith doesn't immediately report to the unload he will be fired for failing to work as directed.

Keith simply laughs and walks away.

What did Keith find so funny?
That he's going to file a grievance and cost the company money because the labor manager who makes about 100$ an hour is going to have to spend a couple of hours dealing with it.

laffter

Believe me...It has nothing to do with respect. It's that those of us who've been here for years will get the job done with minimal problems...it makes there numbers look better.

I agree and disagree, but my opinion really doesn't matter. I've seen some good sups who won't screw someone over just because they're better than others, but that's a rarity. In any case, if I was ever told to go to unload, they would regret that decision very quickly... if you catch my drift.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I agree and disagree, but my opinion really doesn't matter. I've seen some good sups who won't screw someone over just because they're better than others, but that's a rarity. In any case, if I was ever told to go to unload, they would regret that decision very quickly... if you catch my drift.
Oh yeah...I'd be in a long box for three hours...practicing my hand to surface with every single package...safety first!

EmraldArcher

I don't disagree with the situation. What I'm trying to point out is that Keith can swing his dick all he wants but the thing to do is work as directed and grieve later.
The described way the incident went down could have led to his termination if the manager wanted to. And he could have made it stick.
Lets look at it like this. Keith is told to report to unload. He laughs in managers face and walks off. Manager let's Keith go and gets others to unload. After problem is over Mgr Tim grabs a union steward and goes and finds Keith and hauls him to office and terminates him for both insubordination and refusing to work as directed. When it comes up at panel hub manager describes how Keith's refusal to work unload led to the trailer not being down on time and consequently having service failures. Keith does not get his job back.
Or........Keith works as directed and asks to speak to a union steward. Files grievance. Wins grievance. Mgmt follows seniority order the next time or Keith files again.

One way Keith is getting paid. The other he gets the shaft.

This leads us to the question of whether a directive, given while the employee is off the clock, must be followed once the employee clocks in.

If Tim says to do X while Keith isn't on the clock and Keith doesn't do it he can't be fired.

If Tim doesn't tell Keith again once he clocks in he was never directed to do anything while under the obligation to work as directed.

Work safe or not at all.

For Keith to lose his job, the company would have to prove that the only way to get that truck unloaded was to violate Keith's senority, which I would love to see them do, as I am sure the truck would get unloaded. Keith or no Keith.

File early, file often.

This leads us to the question of whether a directive, given while the employee is off the clock, must be followed once the employee clocks in.

If Tim says to do X while Keith isn't on the clock and Keith doesn't do it he can't be fired.

If Tim doesn't tell Keith again once he clocks in he was never directed to do anything while under the obligation to work as directed.
For Keith to lose his job, the company would have to prove that the only way to get that truck unloaded was to violate Keith's senority, which I would love to see them do, as I am sure the truck would get unloaded. Keith or no Keith.

File early, file often.

You two amateur union stewards are going to give people ideas that get them fired.

Emerald, being told to work as directed counts on the clock, off the clock, even calling the employee at home. Directed is directed. Period.

Worksafe, they don't have to prove a GD thing. I gave that example to show how they'll spin it with extra sprinkles at panel to make sure Keith doesn't come back. Ant the BA, knowing what a constant PIA Keith is will trade him out for a couple of good employees or other grievances in trade. Either way Keith will be learning the phrase "would you like fries with that?"

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Agreed..I was using it for the Dick and Jane example...but it wouldn't happen. I've never been inside a trailer in my years at brown...rather not start now..lol

Sounds like you have gotten it easy through your years at brown. I've done pretty much every hourly, inside operation at brown. Until you have unloaded a full trailer when it's minus 20 degrees outside, then you can call yourself a true upser. :)

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and just work as directed. I learner long ago that if you do them an occaisional favor, it can pay off when you need a favor. Not saying you should roll over every time but if you are a constant pain in the butt they will find ways to torment you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sounds like you have gotten it easy through your years at brown. I've done pretty much every hourly, inside operation at brown. Until you have unloaded a full trailer when it's minus 20 degrees outside, then you can call yourself a true upser. :)
LOL easy....i never came on here and claimed my job is harder than the drivers. Well Does my check look different than yours because i'm not a true upser? Besides the numbers being higher of course?

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
LOL easy....i never came on here and claimed my job is harder than the drivers. Well Does my check look different than yours because i'm not a true upser? Besides the numbers being higher of course?

Lol, your comment pretty much has nothing to do with my comment. You are always bringing up stuff that have nothing to do with what I am saying. Why are you bringing drivers into this when my comment has nothing to do with drivers? I see what you've been doing. You are trying to create victims, then get them on your side, so you can have people to support your foolish arguments. Congrats, it's working :)