Are Your Packages Really More Secure With UPS’ New Access Point Service?

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, May 22, 2015.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

Are Your Packages Really More Secure With UPS’ New Access Point Service? - Consumerist

Last October, United Parcel Service announced it would attempt to cut down on delivery stops and protect consumers’ packages from sticky fingers with its Access Point service that drops off packages at local businesses where you can pick them up at your convenience. While the idea seems great in theory – who doesn’t want to protect their unattended packages? – in practice, it appears there are still a few kinks to work out: Mainly that people aren’t aware of the service, and the packages may not be as secure as we’d hoped.

2. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

I can see a lot of not so good things happening with these, and also, a lot of good things too.

3. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

Let's face it for what it is. Strictly an effort to save money and maximize profits by saving on gas and driver delivery time. The security part is a bunch of BS. If this theory is correct, UPS is saying that The non-UPS employee at some business is going to be more honest than the driver who delivers it to your door. It is still being handled from point A to point B by all the unload, reload and preload personnel that handle a normal delivery. This situation would have never come about if it wasn't for DR. One more example of profits and production being more important that the merchandise the customer ordered. I don't like the aspect of non UPS people handling packages. Too much room for abuse.

4. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Bold statement there my friend

5. upschuck

I can see both sides of issue, something a lot of people can't.

6. I just think they want to get rid of clerks and customer counter jobs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Are you seriously suggesting that we should go back to requiring a signature for each and every package?

8. UpstateNYUPSer

Our liability ends as soon as the Access Point employee signs our DIAD.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

That's part of their plan.

10. It'll eliminate counter jobs for sure (the biggest waste of money I have on a daily basis), but add correct clerks, not so much. They have to process the AP packages right now. At least in my building.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

Our AM 22.3 job was eliminated when that person retired. Our PDS does all ADC's created during the preload.

12. upschuck

What if the box is empty? You willing to wait while each is inspected?

Anything these AP's do will reflect on UPS' s image.

13. We only have one clerk who does AM. But he is split between that and surepost. The last week or so though with all the AP redirects he's been busy as can be.

14. I know it is.

15. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Sounds like you may be overthinking things a bit!

16. upschuck

Just being thorough. :)

17. The Milkman

The Milkman Well-Known Member

Started a long time ago when the UPS stores opened, pushing customers away from the Customer Counters. Little by little Clerk hours were cut to a minimum, also they would have a CC clerk work inside for a few hours then go out to the counter...