Are your wives as lonely as I am?

A

Another Brown Wife

I have been reading brown posts for years and got very excited to see one on brown wives. My husband has been with Brown for 20 years. He eats, sleeps and thinks in brown. He works out of town/state every week and the kids and I see him only on the weekends. It has been this way since they were babies. The girls are now nine and eleven. Sometimes they cry, usually by the fourth day. We have recently been relocated and now things are a little more difficult and very lonely for me and the kids. You do what you have to do and tried to enjoy the time you have together. When he is here, I am sure he feels torn between spending time with me, the girls and trying to get in some sleep and packing for the next week.

Another Brown Wife

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Before you accept a job at UPS, hopefully you know that it is a demanding job---hard work for good pay and excellent pay for a financially sound company!! Now that it is mandatory to "Stop" for lunch everyone is getting home later...miss those days when you could work through/or take a short lunch and get home earlier than norm!

P/T folks will never understand what a driver goes through day after day--you work until all the pkgs get delivered--sometimes it's 9--sometmes it more.I used to load my own pkg car--come in at 6a.m. and get off at 7:00pm---those 12 hour days were exhausting--money was good and definitely missed the wife and kids-----but one of the reasons I went to work for UPS was to have weekends off!!

Regarding hours in Florida and elsewhere-----longer hours are cheaper for UPS than adding additional drivers---it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why UPS won't put on an additional driver(and start paying the union $1000 a month for health & welfare??) and there is no flexibility for adding a PT driver to make pick ups to take the pressure off the FT drivers.

Dan Kohlhagen

I was a UPS wife for almost 30 years, until he retired, and it never gets better. It is just the nature of the business and it does make them all seem like scrooges. Even, now, after 8 years of retirement, when the weather gets bad, his immediate thought is that it is going to hurt the business and not that we can't get to where we need to go. I know that the divorce rate at UPS is high for hourly as well as management because of the demands that are made. My husband was management for many years and put in many 60-65 hour work weeks throughout the year. My advice is to try and get involved with your church, school, food pantry, etc. They are always looking for volunteers during the holidays and it'll make you feel so much better!! Good luck!!

bluebrown

well i see my husband for 12 hours a week...like once every 3-7 weeks..... he works at ups ft driver about 7 hours away. it has been almost a year since he moved away. I did not see him thanksgiving , thorough Christmas up until second week in January... or our 17 wedding anniversary....ummmm never saw him either.... i feel like there is no support and its worse than being an army wife. I feel like a single parent. I feel like no one understands. I have no help with my child, i do have some priden in raising my child and how successful he is doing, but i find myself very bitter about ups and them not opening a driving job closer to our home. I have been married 17 years to him. this year has sucked and i have no idea what he was thinking now when he thought it would be a good idea to drive fulltime and eventually be moved back to his home area. I have 2 volunteer jobs, work out at least 1 hour a day and work 50+ hours a week myself so i don't think i am needy, i can support myself but i feel like my husband left me a year ago, divorced me for a brown truck.......lol i must be BS crazy to stay in a relationship like this...... i am angry and need to vent and this place looks better than facebook so anyone can read this can have their laugh..... but it sucks. i have been asked out, told that i need to get over my husband because the quicker i get over him the quicker i will move on...i hate putting stress on him because i know he works hard but this is ridiculous...... maybe i should leave him.....and move on because i see no other ups people dealing with this.....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Good Lord, it is a job. Why would you accept a job 7 hrs away? Me, I am thinking you need to tell him, and you both need to move at least halfway between. A job is not a reason to never see your spouse. I dont care how bad I need money, I wouldnt support, or have two households for a job. Maybe we should have a lonely husbands club too.
This is ludicrous. Complain all you want it makes no sense. You cannot be far enough ahead of the game to live two separate lives. By him working 7 hrs away.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
OMG!! Waaaaa! Try being a REAL single mom with no assistance financially, emotionally or with your kid while working long hours to survive, and living in the "hood" because you can't afford anything else!

P.s. Figured since she is venting, I would follow suit. Vent over. Carry on.

bluebrown

ya..it could be worse operational needs. your right, i could live in the "hood" and my son could ultimately be fatherless.... i am glad at least i can financially support myself and our son and have and am able to. I have no other family and have not since i was 12 years old..... him moving away feels like i lost my best friend to a brown truck. he calls and tells me he'll come back :) sorry if that is your situation as well and hope it gets better.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
ya..it could be worse operational needs. your right, i could live in the "hood" and my son could ultimately be fatherless.... i am glad at least i can financially support myself and our son and have and am able to. I have no other family and have not since i was 12 years old..... him moving away feels like i lost my best friend to a brown truck. he calls and tells me he'll come back :) sorry if that is your situation as well and hope it gets better.

It ALWAYS gets better. But you can bet I'm not waiting around for ANYONE else to make it better.

bluebrown

yes...no one will make me happy but me....this whole situation has made me stronger and if/when he comes back or i move there it will be all the better. thanks brown café for being here..... good luck to all the upsers out there!